Thread: Shuttle Help ST61G4

Thanks

Shuttle Help ST61G4

Hi
    I have built a shuttle ST61G4 barebones XPC I added P4 Prescott 3.00Ghz, 2x1 gig crucial DDR PC3200 (CT12864Z40B. 16TD2), 200 GIG Seagate Barracuda 7 SATA, Pioneer DVD RW.

I seem to fail to get Windows XP pro on to the shuttle it gets to loading files then just hangs.

I have tried taking one stick of ram and swapped around changed the DVD drive but still no use any help would be appreciated.

I have followed the manual on installing the drivers for the SATA drive but it fals everytime.

I have tried to slipstream the drivers using nlite but again the SATA drive cannot be seen. The drive is fine and can be seen in my tower which is a SATA set up aswell.

if anyone has any tips that can get XP on my shuttle.

Thanks
    Hey Anne,

Being a Shuttle guy I can probably help.
    Try replacing the Shuttle branded blue SATA cables. These are notorious for failing, as a trip to the forums of www.sudhian.com will show. I'm a member there too, and a very good forum for answering SFF issues. If the cables being changed don't fix it, try going there as well.

Welcome, btw.

Thanks
    Thank you for the welcome I tried changing the cable using the one I know works from my tower. I dug out the old IDE 30 gig drive that I know will work and put that in. It seems the changed shuttle due to my first being faulty is also having issues it has crashed 3 times before I even bother to try adding the OS.

I was removing one stick of ram to test that when I noticed the ram was very hot.
    IN the bios PC health has my cpu running between 48C to 58C strange thing 48C is witht he case on 58C is with it off.
    This shuttle is supposed to be compatable with muy CPU I have a prescott P4 3.00Ghz any advice I havent another CPU top try in it but I can start to load a linux live disc before it crashes seems to be the loading files where it goes wrong is this due to the shared Ram between graphics and system?
    Never had this much trouble with a tower.

Thanks
    - yeah, Shuttles are generally more difficult than towers - it's a trade off, but once it's working, it's sweet!

OK, with a 3GHz Prescott your settings should be 200FSB, 15x multiplier (http://global.shuttle.com/Support/Su...G4%20(FT61V1.x)

That means your ram should be DDR3200. Shuttles are notorious for being picky about ram - I've never had problems, but know of many who have had issues. The fact that your ram seems very hot might indicate that it is failing, or being pushed too hard. What is the spec of the memory? - if it's DDR2700 it might be feeling the heat.

You mention that the processor is hotter with the case off - that's actually just great! Shuttle design these boxes small, but that introduces the challenge of keeping heat low. So, they carefully design them with airflow patterns to aid cooling. Removing the case gets rid of the airflow, so it's not as effective.

Another thought, perhaps you might need to adjust the voltage going to the ram, I think the root of the problem is something there.

Thanks
    The bios is set to auto for CPU and Ram the CPU is showing as 200x15, the Ram is DDR PC3200 matched pair 2x1gig. I have now tried installing win 98 and the shuttle was 4% through installing when it just froze.

Thanks
    OK Anne. Probably faulty ram. Did you buy it locally? - see if you can trade for a new matched pair.

Also, please do try Sudhian.com forums, Shuttle knowledge there exceeds my own (!).

Thanks
    Found my problem the replaced my shuittle with a bom13 and my CPU is a prescott which bom 13 doesn't support.

Thanks
    what's bom13?

My System: Coolermaster Centurion 5 (black) case, Intel E6750 Core2Duo, Tagan Easy-Con 530W, Asus P5B Deluxe WIFI, OCZ 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 CL 4-4-4-15 PLATINUM XTC, Samsung SpinPoint 200Gb SATA2 / 2 x Maxtor DiamondMax 10 200Gb SATA, 256Mb Sapphire ATI PCI-E X1950PRO, Creative X-Fi Xtreme 7.1, 19" Daewoo W9ZQ Black Widescreen TFT, 4Mb Virgin Cable Broadband (formerly Blueyonder) with Linksys WRT54GL Wireless-G and DD-WRT firmware.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy83
    what's bom13?
    This will perhaps explain it better than I could

bom13 and bom 14 and what the difference a number makes

Thread Information