Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New HDD which would you choose?

Thanks
    Oh well...turns out i didnt have the cash i expected so i didnt buy either of the 3 i quoted...lol
    ended up getting a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus9 60GB - OEM .
    Still big enuff for my needs tho and tbh its still fast enuff for 118mb/sec transfers according to HDTach

Thx for your input anyhoo guys

Thanks
    hi

well i just got the Maxtor DiamondMax Plus9 80GB 2MB Cache from e-bay for £42 NEW so that made my mind up

funny how the price can make your mind up pretty quick

Thanks
    Here's my view on SATA vs PATA for the drive you've picked.

Ye see, currently, nearly all SATA drives uses a Parallel to Serial bridge. The first thing to note is that this the SATA drive would, in theory, have a slight overhead of the the PATA drive. But that pretty much unoticeable.

But I reckon this means that you don't really get any benefit other than thinner cable. It also mean that it is the same as getting a PATA drive, and use a Parallel-Serial converter to "make it" SATA (as that is what the bridge does).

So personally, I would just go PATA now, and if I need to (say, to clear an IDE channel), I'll just use an adapter in the future.

Regarding the drive... Well, I have the WD drive, and it works fine.. My fans and 10k RPM Cheetah are both well noisier than the WD, so its not much of an issue for me. But the Maxtor, from what I've read *is* more quiet.

Now I've read two reviews on a HD you haven't mentioned, the Hitachi 7k250. One from Storagereview, and the other from Toms Hardware (I rarely use this one, but I wanted to see more reviews). And it appears that this drive is both faster and more quiet than the WD. So it might be worth a look (I've got one, but yet to test it).

Thanks
    hi

from what i read in this thread there is not much gain changing to SATA hard drives BUT what about the 10,000 rpm SATA hard drives now i know they are expensive at the moment but just for future reference will they offer a performance gain ??

or is it because every SATA drive is at 150 ata is this holding them back??

Thanks
    From what people have said these 10k SATA drives have amazing performance, people seem to be sticking 2 in a raid array and booting in, I think, about 8 Seconds !!
    So they got to be good
    But im sure someone with a couple will come and give you a more detailed review
    Desktop: AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton, 1024Mb PC-3200 TwinMOS w/Winbond, MSI K7N2 Delta-ILSR, Radeon 9800SE AIW, 40 GB 7,200 Rpm Hitachi Deskstar, 120GB 7,200 Rpm 8mb Cache Maxtor Diamond 9, 160GB 7200 Rpm 8mb Cache Seagate 7200.7 SATA, Plextor 708A 8x DVD-RW, 550W PFC Q-tec PSU, Casetek 1019SM Silver Case, Camdridge Soundworks DTT2200 Speakers

Laptop: Clevo D470W - 17" Widescreen TFT, Intel Pentium4 3.06Ghz 533FSB, 1024Mb PC-2700 Hynix, Radeon Mobility 9000 64Mb, Fujitsu 80Gb 4,200rpm, 250Gb 7,2000rpm 8mb Cache Maxtor OneTouch, Toshiba SD-R6372 DVD-RW +/- x4, Built-in Four speakers, webcam and microphone

Thanks
    The interface, whether SATA 150, PATA 133, or even PATA 100 won't hold the drive back. Not even close.
    Unless you populate both master and slave with a HD. But even in that case, PATA 133 should be just enough.

Still, not getting 100MB/Sec transfer rate do not make a 10k RPM drive bad. They *are* faster than a 7200RPM drive. And they will get even faster in the future (the 74gig Raptor has improved over the original raptor by quite a bit already.. On paper anyway).

And while Raid-0 *do* increase the performance overall, be aware that the boot up is really where it is the most noticeable..
    The boost is typically far less for other applications..

http://www.storagereview.com/php/tik...leDriveVsRaid0

Thanks
    http://www.storagereview.com/article...5VLSA80_1.html

Mmmmmm......

Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 HD's. Come in both SATA and IDE interface, quiet operation and up there with WD raptors.

Thanks
    Originally posted by TooNice
    The interface, whether SATA 150, PATA 133, or even PATA 100 won't hold the drive back. Not even close.
    Unless you populate both master and slave with a HD. But even in that case, PATA 133 should be just enough.

Still, not getting 100MB/Sec transfer rate do not make a 10k RPM drive bad. They *are* faster than a 7200RPM drive. And they will get even faster in the future (the 74gig Raptor has improved over the original raptor by quite a bit already.. On paper anyway).

And while Raid-0 *do* increase the performance overall, be aware that the boot up is really where it is the most noticeable..
    The boost is typically far less for other applications..

http://www.storagereview.com/php/tik...leDriveVsRaid0
    hi

so lets see if i am getting this right i throw out my 2x ATA 133 hard drives then spend a wad of cash to purchase 2x SATA drives only to gain faster boot up times and not much else

well if that is the case i will wait for the next step up in performance

Formerly known as Viet Cong Zombi and tuone
    Thanks
    ko0mplett w samsung 160 @ 82

Thanks
    Actually.. if you RAID-0 your ATA133 drives, it would also increase your boot time and to a (much) lesser extent, other applications.

The main reason you'll get an even better performance boost is because the Raptor itself beats all 7200RPM offerings. Anything less, and you might not see a difference at all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information