Thread: setting up a sata drive?

w33d smoka
    Thanks

setting up a sata drive?

hi there

i was wondering if i could have some advice on setting up my first sata hard drive,ive just purchased all my new hardware online and its due for delivery tomorow.

my new system is as follows:

shuttle xpc sn95gv3
    athlon64 3700 skt939 san diego 1mb cache
    2x1gb corsair ddr400
    maxtor 80gb sata 2 7200rpm 8mb cache
    nec 16x dvdrw dual layer
    microsoft oem win xp home inc s/pack 2

like i said earlier this is the first sata drive iv had so am not sure on how to set it up and format it then install windows,i only know the traditional way to setup/format/install windows etc on ide drives.

unfortunately i never got used to the boot from cdrom option for win xp on ide drives (it would never work for me,im assuming becouse my copy is erm "a copy") hence the reason ive bought an oem version as i was told this would work booting from cd rom on any drive.

ide realy appreciate sum guidance on this please as im hoping the format and install is gona be my only sticking point tommorow when i build my new machine.

much appreciated.

thnx.

mic.
    Last edited by micovwar; 31-03-2006 at 11:37 PM.

Old Fool!
    Thanks
    • EtheAv8r's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus V Gene
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570K @ 4500 Mhz
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb
      • Storage:
      • 2 x Samsung EVO 850 SSD; 1 x Samsung 2TB HD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GeForce GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic S-12 650 Energy+
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2713H
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity II
    Install and plug in new SATA drive. With everything connected, insert pukka XP CD in drive and switch it on and follow the onscreen prompts..... there is a good chance that the installer will tell you it can't find a hard drive to instal on....

If so don't worry, this is where the floppy diskette labelled SATA Drivers that came with your kit (or there will be instructions on the supplied chipset installer CD or similar on which files to copy to a floppy for the SATA drivers ...)....

Reboot and keep eyes open in early windows boot sequence for a message to "Press F6 to install 3rd Party SCSI ar RAID disk controller.... and quickly before it moves on...

Press F6....

Press S to specify disk controller for windows

Insert the DATA driver disk in A:\ when asked... and if nesessary select the correct SATA driver for your mobo... then Windows installer will proceed as normal....create and format your hard drive partition... and just follow the prompts... etc etc

Or somat very much like that!

Good Luck.
    Try to make each and every day the best it can be.

Thanks
    If you use the standard on-board RAID controller it will usually have a JBOD or RAID setting in the BIOS. If it is set to JBOD you should not need to add the RAID drivers during the WinXP install process.
    If using a secondary controller (e.g. Silicon Image 3114) you may need the drivers. Easiest thing to do is pop the XP disc in and see if it spots a drive for it to use. If not restart and add the drivers as described by EtheAv8r above.
    Vimeous : i7 7700K | 16Gb | ASUS Strix Z270G | GTX1080 | 960 EVO 500GB NVMe | 850 EVO 500GB | TX650W | NZXT S340 Elite | Dell U2713H + 17" | 10 Pro
    Willowin : i7 3570K | 16Gb | ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe | GTX 660 TI | 2x 1TB 840EVO | Sugo SG05BB-450 | Dell U2713H + 17" | 8.1 Pro
    Svr : X2 4200+ | 2Gb | ASUS A8N-SLI Premium | HD6870 | SonicFury | 8x 250Gb (2x RAID10) | 3Ware 9650SE-8LPML | Seasonic 700W | CM Stacker 830 | XP Pro
    NAS : DS1511+ | DX513
    W : Dell Precision T3610 | E5-1650 V2 | 16GB | Quadro K2000 | 256GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 8.1 Pro | 2x Dell U2515H

Old Fool!
    Thanks
    • EtheAv8r's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus V Gene
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570K @ 4500 Mhz
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb
      • Storage:
      • 2 x Samsung EVO 850 SSD; 1 x Samsung 2TB HD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GeForce GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic S-12 650 Energy+
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2713H
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity II
    Would have been nice to know how you got on......
    Try to make each and every day the best it can be.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vimeous
    If you use the standard on-board RAID controller it will usually have a JBOD or RAID setting in the BIOS. If it is set to JBOD you should not need to add the RAID drivers during the WinXP install process.
    If using a secondary controller (e.g. Silicon Image 3114) you may need the drivers. Easiest thing to do is pop the XP disc in and see if it spots a drive for it to use. If not restart and add the drivers as described by EtheAv8r above.
    Vimeous is correct, you will not need special drivers for SATA. Windows only needs drivers for RAIDing SATA drives together (or any type of drive in software RAID or JBOD for that matter). I don't trust software RAID anyway. Hardware controller cards are much more reliable, and they free up CPU power.

Just to let you know, you will NOT get any benefit other than smaller cable size from your 80GB SATA drive over any other 7200RPM IDE drive. People get SATAs for RAID capabilities, and because some SATA drives (like the WD Raptor) are much faster (10,000RPM).

Thread Information