Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: i wish id bought single core now,dual core gaming:(

w33d smoka
    Thanks
    hi

thnx for all the replys,,im pondering on buying just a normal single core athlon64chip for the time being and putting this puppy away until dual core is more recognised by software and games alike,i have to say im realy not blown away by dual core and i realy dont see much if any boost in the games that work wich ive tested.

im not realy all that impressed at havin to alt\tab to set affinity etc,im the type that just wants to install and play with no messing around,am i to believe that the single core 64,s have the same compatability as the 32bit athlons that weve all come to love over the past few years??

appreciate any info.

mic.

Thanks
    Have you actually tried testing your memory? Errors like that usually mean the memory is awry
    Check my project <<| Black3D |>>
    Quote Originally Posted by hexah
    Games are developed by teams of talented people and sometimes electronic arts

Thanks
    I'm with micovwar on this one, I've got an X2 4400+, I've tried all the patches, drivers, fixes, and even setting the affinity manually doesnt help. Just went and bought an opty 144, running it at 2.8ghz and it plays games like a dream.

w33d smoka
    Thanks
    i havent tested my memory asit happens but ile be extreemly supprised if its dodgy as ive had alot of experience in the past few years with issues/comps and bad ram so im kinda clued about what to look for now (touch wood!) and ive had no issues like this since its been built,,i would have expected some boots to desktop at the very least or sum blue screens,,nothin like it.

infact im happier with my 2gig of corsair than i am with my dual core 4400+ at the minute,,ile probably not be far behind you buying that opty trojan,can u give me sum info as to cache,stock speeds,voltage,and more importantly price on this chip?

thnx all.

mic.

Thanks
    http://www.scan.co.uk/todayonly/

Right down the bottom of the page, the oem opteron 146 is probably your best bet @ only &#163;116. stock clock speed of 2ghz and most of these clock to 2.8, some even do 3ghz. they have 1mb cache. I'm currently running my 144 on 1.41v to achieve 2.8ghz although every chip is different and no overclock is guaranteed. What motherboard & PSU do you have ? You ever overclocked before?

w33d smoka
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by trojan698
    http://www.scan.co.uk/todayonly/

Right down the bottom of the page, the oem opteron 146 is probably your best bet @ only &#163;116. stock clock speed of 2ghz and most of these clock to 2.8, some even do 3ghz. they have 1mb cache. I'm currently running my 144 on 1.41v to achieve 2.8ghz although every chip is different and no overclock is guaranteed. What motherboard & PSU do you have ? You ever overclocked before?
    thnx 4 info dude,,i have shuttle sn95gv3 (the new system my dual core is in) with a 240w psu.

1.41v isnt that high for 2.8ghz i must say,same cache as my dualcore 4400+ so thats good ide be happy with 2.4ghz realy,how are your temps,i jus wanna get back to my gaming.

i have to say i havnt realy done much overclocking no,,i did get my barton 3000+ to 2.2ghz in my sn41g2 using fsb increases but nothing else.

mic.

MON
    Thanks
    i have no problems also i have it running at 2400 MHz and stable never had a crash problem.. the only thing i did not do when i first got it was use the amd duel core driver and the Microsoft patch after that it run no trouble also i do not have cool and quiet on

Thanks
    would say do the dual core hotfix from MS. I hada problem with CSS before that, after I had no problems! X2s are just as capable at gaming as an equivalent processor that is single core, Downgrading (effectively) isn't the best way to go =\ I don't see why you need to set the affinity, Task manager does a great job for me?

Thanks
    There is an artcile in custompc about this, it causes problems with steam and need for speed most wanted.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    • NightshadowUK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z87M GAMING
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 4790K [Macho Rev.B]
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M500 [240GB] & MX500 [1TB]
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4GB Sapphire 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • 620W Corsair HX
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08B-E [AP181 & NF-S12B]
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home [64bit]
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2412M
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mb
    Yeah that's where the information for my ImageCFG post (top of the page) came from.

Thanks
    Games are fine on my system (Intel 2.8Ghz Dual Core) without needing to change any settings ,but I have also noticed some game developers releasing patches for dual core systems. If I'm correct Call of Duty 2 was one of the first to do so.
    Woohoo now Assistant Manager!

Will work for beer... nichomach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • nichomach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95W
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DR3
      • Storage:
      • 1x250GB Maxtor SATAII, 1x 400GB Hitachi SATAII
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 1060 3GB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 20" TFT
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Cable
    Well, I applied the recommended fixes under the dual core crashes and performance issues section, and haven't had any problems since, where I was initially getting some serious lag. The registry edit bit IS important, or at least so I found. Personally, I wouldn't downgrade to a single core processor.

w33d smoka
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nvening
    There is an artcile in custompc about this, it causes problems with steam and need for speed most wanted.
    funny thats one of the games that im having bother with,,it runs with no crashes but its like im running it on a geforce mx series or sumthin,,its just nowhere near as fluid and fast as it used to be,frame rate is quite choppy and stuttery.

the registry bit is the one thing i realy cant be bothered with at all,no one wants to have to do this to play games surely,,isnt there a driver or piece of software that does all this for you with no hassle?

mic.
    Last edited by micovwar; 07-04-2006 at 07:07 PM.

Thanks
    • Butcher's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 Gaming 3
      • CPU:
      • i7-4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8 GB Corsair 1866 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 120GB SSD, 240GB SSD, 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650W
      • Case:
      • Big Black Cube!
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
    All this makes me glad I sacked off dual core and just went with a 4000+.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information