Thread: Watercooling: Idle Temp too High??

Thanks

Watercooling: Idle Temp too High??

Hey again guys!

I've got all my watercooling kit installed but it seems my idle temps are too high for some reason or another They were lower when i had my Scythe Ninja cooling at around 34c and at 1.5v 2.9Ghz too. All blocks have AS5 on them, seating has been checked, all fans on full, side window off as i'm currently modding it.

Smartguardian Readings

Idle: CPU=39c System=35c Panel=34c

The CPU is overclocked to 2.6Ghz @ 1.45 volts, its an Opteron 146 and compared to some, most average temperatures range from 25c-32c.

The Loop consists of:

Reservior -> Pump -> Radiator -> CPU -> VGA -> Reservior.

Yes the pics crap, it was taken with my phone, the GF lent out the camera

Watercooling Kit:

XSPC X20 CPU Block
    XSPC X20 VGA Block
    XSPC Passive Aluminium Reservior
    XSPC DC1000 12v Pump
    NexXxoS Xtreme III 360mm Radiator + x3 120mm Coolermaster Fans
    Coolermaster Stacker Case
    x1 120mm Coolermaster Front Intake Fan
    x1 120mm Coolermaster Rear Exhaust Fan

Anyone know where its going wrong??? If any more info is required, just ask

EDIT: All of those Coolermaster fans are soon to be replaced with SilenX 120mm x 38mm 11dBA 1200RPM 48CFM Fans. Should help the cooling a hell of alot as the CM fans dont push much air and the SilenX are quiet as hell at 11dBA

x3 120mm SilenX on the Radiator
    x1 120mm SilenX Rear Exhaust
    x1 120mm SilenX Front Intake
    x1 or x2 120mm SilenX Side Window

Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Thanks
    what load temps are you getting though?...dont forget that you have a pretty hot gpu in the loop as well. on mine, i usually get around 4-6c above room temp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    stupid betond belief.
    You owe it to yourself to click here really.

Thanks
    I'm no water cooling expert, but the sequence of "Reservoir -> Pump -> Radiator -> CPU -> VGA -> Reservoir." doesn't seem right to me.

Surely the best way would be Reservoir -> Pump -> CPU -> GPU -> Radiator -> Reservoir.

This would surely allow the radiator to provide cooling to the water at it's hottest.

Don't take what I say as gospel, just check around and see what sequence others are using.

Thanks
    Hmmm... load temps seem to be the same, stuck at 40c

Compared to when it was cooled with the Scythe Ninja:

Puzzled

Thanks
    Hullz-Modz it is pretty pointless worrying about your idle temps, I would be more concerned about your load temps.

Admittedly your idle temps are pretty high, I get about 32c idle with the settings in my sig.

The order of setup in your loop is fairly irrelevant as the water is going round so fast that it doesn't make any difference. I would look at your loop itself, how restricted is the flow. I looks like from the pump its 1/2" which is good but if you have any 90 degree bends or smaller 3/8" fittings then that will decrease your flow and increase temps.

Edit: Just saw the load temps, 40c isn't too bad tbh.
    Last edited by Dark Horse; 20-05-2006 at 05:15 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scrandman
    I'm no water cooling expert, but the sequence of "Reservoir -> Pump -> Radiator -> CPU -> VGA -> Reservoir." doesn't seem right to me.

Surely the best way would be Reservoir -> Pump -> CPU -> GPU -> Radiator -> Reservoir.

This would surely allow the radiator to provide cooling to the water at it's hottest.

Don't take what I say as gospel, just check around and see what sequence others are using.
    I know what your saying bud but i tried that setup to start with and the temps were still the same, it caused routing congestion too, routing the tubing back up when the flow should have been coming down. Basically this way, the only time the water has to flow up is when the pump pushes it to the radiator and then it just works itself all the way back down again through the CPU -> VGA -> RES -> PUMP, water doesnt like to flow upwards remember

Thanks
    Are the fans blowing or sucking through the radiator? Does the air coming out feel warm when its under load? Does the reservoir get warm? You have a lot of cooling there so that shouldnt be the problem.

I use a dual radiator with a single cheap fan at 5v and no fancy reservoir. Also my overclocked prescott is a very hot cpu. However i get about 30 idle and 36 load.

As long as your reservoir is just before the pump i wouldnt worry too much about the loop order.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Horse
    Hullz-Modz it is pretty pointless worrying about your idle temps, I would be more concerned about your load temps.

Admittedly your idle temps are pretty high, I get about 32c idle with the settings in my sig.

The order of setup in your loop is fairly irrelevant as the water is going round so fast that it doesn't make any difference. I would look at your loop itself, how restricted is the flow. I looks like from the pump its 1/2" which is good but if you have any 90 degree bends or smaller 3/8" fittings then that will decrease your flow and increase temps.

Edit: Just saw the load temps, 40c isn't too bad tbh.
    Aye rgr that DH. Yep 1/2" is what i'm using and no lower fittings.

I'm wondering if this MB actually gives fairly accurate temp readings at all and this could be the problem?

If not, then it may be the poor CFM of the Coolermaster fans that came with the case and the SilenX fans i'm getting would definatly increase this. I dont know what the CFM is of the fans i currently have so cant really compare, other than know that when i put my hand near the fans there aint much air at all, compared to the 48CFM i'm soon to be getting.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Infidel
    Are the fans blowing or sucking through the radiator? Does the air coming out feel warm when its under load? Does the reservoir get warm? You have a lot of cooling there so that shouldnt be the problem.

I use a dual radiator with a single cheap fan at 5v and no fancy reservoir. Also my overclocked prescott is a very hot cpu. However i get about 30 idle and 36 load.

As long as your reservoir is just before the pump i wouldnt worry too much about the loop order.
    The fans are sucking from the outside -> radiator -> inside, and the air is seemingly cool.

Thanks
    just on the off chance...do a ctrl alt and del and see if anything is using any cpu power...something thats running in the background and only using say 20% could give you higher idle temps....but as your load temps are 40, it would seem that everything is working ok mechanically.
    stupid betond belief.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk
    just on the off chance...do a ctrl alt and del and see if anything is using any cpu power...something thats running in the background and only using say 20% could give you higher idle temps....but as your load temps are 40, it would seem that everything is working ok mechanically.
    I think you may have just got me on the right track there Clunk!

When i run Smartguardian to view the temps, my CPU usage seems to stay at 99% for some strange reason So needless to say the 39-40c is always under load.

If i close down Smartguardian and open Asus AI Booster to view the temperature it gives me a constant 35c idle, which rises only when i start to stress the load or load up Smartguardian bringing it back to 40c.

So it looks like the whole time it was under load due to Smartguardian, hence 40c constantly! ******** program!

Thnx for the help guys.

Thanks
    well glad you sorted it mate
    stupid betond belief.

Banned
    Thanks
    hull modz up ur htt mulit one times pc speed is fsb and you can safley have 1000 soi why have 700??

Thanks
    Best place to do it is pre-OS : The BIOS
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thread Information