Thread: My fuse box seems to be sending sharp spikes in my electronics

Formerly known as Viet Cong Zombi and tuone
    Thanks

My fuse box seems to be sending sharp spikes in my electronics

Ever since some lightning hit my house almost 3 weeks ago, one of my speakers has been making massive clicking sound every 20 minutes, on a fairly regular interval, it just sounds like a nasty electric spark sound at the maximum volume of the speaker. the speaker is a genelec 250 pounds speaker with all kinds of really quality electronics in it.

If I plug it into a surge protected socket, the speaker is fine, what is going on, what can have happened to my fuse box? should I seek any compensation from the guys that installed the fuse box a few months ago, because at the same time there was a blown up antec power supply and some hard drives. and the guys were apprentices they were asking each other questions about resistance versus wire width. Thanks.
    Last edited by prehensile; 26-05-2006 at 06:37 PM.

awm
    Thanks
    Sounds like junk in your power lines. A surge protector should also filter your AC wall voltage. I would run you electroics off a surge protector no matter what just to protect them and get them the cleanest power possible.

Lighting happens, so I wouldn't blame the fuse guys. The main point of the fuses is to cutoff after a short circuit. Lighting can arc from the clouds to the earth. A few centimerers inside a fuse is nothing. Sorry about the damage though.

The above was just my very basic understanig of stuff. You might also want to get a professonal electrician to look for the source of the junk that creates the click. It might be anything and malfunctioning power electronics can be unpleasant.

Thread Information