Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Antec Sonata / 120mm fan cases

Thanks
    Well all that info allays any worries I had. The link Austin posted to the review at Virtual-Hideout.net had exactly the info that I needed too, definintely worth checking out.

Looks like I'll be placing an order soonish - gotta have something to play with over Xmas!

Now need to decide what goodies I'm going to put in it! I think the Epox EP-4PDA2+ Deluxe Intel 865PE (Rev 2.00) is the mobo front runner, plus a 2.8 P4C with some PC4000.

The PIII box this is replacing has got ancient SCSI drives in it too, wonder how much I'll get on eBay for them...

Registered+
    Thanks
    Have you found somewhere to order it from?

If you are in the UK, www.simply.co.uk where the cheapest by quite a bit when I got mine although the site was hard to use - you need to search for sonata...

Thanks
    Haven't really been searching that much - but their price is good - £6 cheaper than overclock (& -ers) .co.uk. Plus £2.50 for shipping - don't mind waiting a couple of days more for that!

Sourcing from different websites gets complex once you factor in shipping - surely someone's written a site where you just give it a shopping basket and goes and works out the cheapest option?!! Reckon it'd be a popular site too, if it worked right.

Thanks
    I have the Antec Sonata case. Nice enough I suppose and with a good power supply but I was expecting less noise from the 120mm fan. It isn't silent by any stretch of the imagination and my previous case with 2 No. 80mm Panaflow fans was much quieter. Note that the hard drives mount sideways so with IDE to SATA convertors on your drives is not possible to fit the side panel.

Thanks
    • floppybootstomp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V Pro
      • CPU:
      • i7 Sandybridge Quad Core 3.4Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Corsair 128Gb SSD; 1Tb for games; 500Gb for data
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA Nvidia 1Gb GTX 560
      • PSU:
      • Corsair Modular 620W
      • Case:
      • Antech 900 Gamers Case
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Ben Q EW2730V 27"
      • Internet:
      • Zen as ISP; Linksys Wireless Router; 4 machine network
    I think the Sonata case is wicked, apart from the non-removable side panel & motherboard tray. The hard disks slot in sideways, which is odd.

Almost wish I'd gone for them instead of my Lian Li PC61's. Almost.

Thanks
    I have had a Sonata case as my server box for about 3-4 months and cant fault it.

Ok the lack of MB tray may be a pain but how often do you replace the MB ??

It is almst comepletely silent. It runs 24/7 (well it would if M$ didnt crash occasionally every 7-10 days) in my bedroom and the only thing you can hear is a low and very quiet "rumble" when everything else is off. Unless you were pretty anal then this is virtually silence.

Build quality is 10/10.

I have an XP2500+ Barton installed running 3200+ speeds and it sticks around the 48-54oC mark. This is with a single case fan and a Zalman flower with 80mm fan running at 1300RPM.

p.s. The sideways drive mounting is perfect for hiding all thos wires and making a neat case -

"mid-build" so ignore the wires at the top. I also have a 4th HDD in above the other 3 so the wires there are totally hidden
    Last edited by Richie; 06-04-2004 at 07:30 AM.

Fun Not Frags - www.gsvgaming.net

Thanks
    Just for the record I have replaced the 120mm Antec fan that came with the case with Noiseblocker SX2 Ultra Silent Fan 120x120x25mm which included a rotary speed controller. Purchased from ttp://www.whispertec.com/Fan120.html
    with postage costing 88p I opted for the kit. Fiddly job to remove and re-used the existing rubber/latex fan mounts. Required the use of pincer pliers to pull them through the fan holes and a small screw driver to manipulate the lugs into the case holes so you can pull them out.

With the speed controller set to max I would say my Sonata sounds half as loud as before. I have nothing to measure db's with so just my impression. Not really any need to reduce the fan speed since it is now acceptable to me running on max.

I will be keeping my eye on the case temp and I have to say it's not looking too good at the moment with an increase of 5-6 deg C idle. It would be a real shame if I have to back down from the 200 FSB x 10.5 @ 1.65v which is a fairly conservative overclock for a 2500+ barton.

Temps idle 30/50
    Temps folding 29/49

I'll just keep my eye on things for a while. It may work out to be OK.

EDIT> OK guys my mistake I was folding all along... case temps coming down
    Last edited by ed^chigliak; 20-04-2004 at 11:43 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information