Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 19

Thread: how to set up a lan party?

  1. #1
    dgr
    dgr is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    621
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    how to set up a lan party?

    hello

    i figured this was the best place for this thread as it is about hardware...

    i'm having a lan party with about 8 people, would 10mbit ethernet be enough? additonally, i would like a split into 2 teams of 4, each in different rooms. becuase of the distance between the rooms i would prefer to use 2 hubs, one in each room, and use patch to connect the hubs (both 5 port).

    is this possible? does it require much configuration or will the hubs just root as necessary?

    do you think 10meg is enough?

    cheers

    dgr
    dothan 745 @ 2.4ghz | 2gb Corsair XMS (2-3-3-6) | dual raptors (raid0) | ATI 9700pro | CM201 | dual lg 1810

  2. #2
    TiG
    TiG is offline
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Questioning it all
    Posts
    6,213
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked
    48 times in 43 posts
    Dgr,

    I'm sure 10mbits would do but it would be better with a 100mbit hub. Gaming on a lan wouldn't take up to much bandwidth. Yes it is possible to do via two hubs, obviously it would be nice if you could have a server doing DHCP config, which would make your setup easy, only other choice is to just do peer to peer networking.

    Set 1 machine as the Default Gateway e.g 192.168.0.1

    and the other machines are set to 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.10. all with 192.168.0.1 in there default gateway setting.

    Hope this helps and have fun...

    TiG

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    LONDON
    Posts
    318
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Originally posted by TiG
    Dgr,

    I'm sure 10mbits would do but it would be better with a 100mbit hub. Gaming on a lan wouldn't take up to much bandwidth. Yes it is possible to do via two hubs, obviously it would be nice if you could have a server doing DHCP config, which would make your setup easy, only other choice is to just do peer to peer networking.

    Set 1 machine as the Default Gateway e.g 192.168.0.1

    and the other machines are set to 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.10. all with 192.168.0.1 in there default gateway setting.

    Hope this helps and have fun...

    TiG
    you should deny them a gateway - otherwise they might start playing online thus defeating the point of having a LAN in the first place

    borrow somebody's nice 8-port 10/100mbit switch if you can - switches are much better with that many peeps and it will ensure better usage of available bandwidth for those 4 v 4's

  4. #4
    TiG
    TiG is offline
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Questioning it all
    Posts
    6,213
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked
    48 times in 43 posts
    Only if the gateway is the machine that has the Inet connection. IF you do make a machine the default gateway, make this the server machine for all games etc.

    This will make as efficent use of the resources as possible

    TiG

  5. #5
    dgr
    dgr is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    621
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    we won't be using the net

    i was thinking of settin up a dedicated server, obviously i would somehow have to get a bigger hub/switch. All computers are running windows xp so setting up a dhcp shouldn't be a problem.

    the question still remains - if i still have to use 2 4 port hubs (becaue i only have lots of short patch cables and one longer one), will there be anvy config. requirements?

    cheers


    dgr
    dothan 745 @ 2.4ghz | 2gb Corsair XMS (2-3-3-6) | dual raptors (raid0) | ATI 9700pro | CM201 | dual lg 1810

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    LONDON
    Posts
    318
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Originally posted by dgr
    we won't be using the net

    i was thinking of settin up a dedicated server, obviously i would somehow have to get a bigger hub/switch. All computers are running windows xp so setting up a dhcp shouldn't be a problem.

    the question still remains - if i still have to use 2 4 port hubs (becaue i only have lots of short patch cables and one longer one), will there be anvy config. requirements?

    cheers


    dgr
    Dedicated Server for games (I assume you mean) is definitely the way to go.

    for simplicity - without needing a DHCP server on the LAN I would set up the systems as follows:

    Dedicated Server (preferably one with a good deal of RAM and a nice'ish processor - graphics card irrelevant) - IP 192.168.0.1 (subnet left as auto - 255.255.255.0)

    Client 1: 192.168.0.2 - 255.255.255.0
    Client 2: 192.168.0.3 - 255.255.255.0

    ... and so on

    *note if you left the TCP/IP settings blank (i.e. to use DHCP) then without a DHCP server all clients would use APIPA addressing 169.x.x.x - this is not preferable.

    There is no need to use a Default Gateway Address at this is for routing outside of the LAN (unless TiG had some other reason for using it?).

    As far as connecting the Hubs goes - so long as one hub has an uplink port, or the capability of uplinking from any port (most new hubs allow this) then you can use a cross-over lead (cat5/cat5-e) to uplink to the other hub and it will be seen on the network as one virtual hub for the purposes of the LAN - therefore you don't need to worry about splitting IP address ranges etc... Some more expensive and newer hubs/switches have the capability to auto-uplink which negates the need for a cross-over lead, however, this would be unlikely in your case.

    Hope this helps.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    LONDON
    Posts
    318
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    One thing I forgot to mention is that if you have only got 2 * 4 port hubs then you are only going to be able to have 5 clients at any one time because by linking the hubs you lose one port from each => 6 clients and you also lose another client by running a dedicated server.

    So by far the best way would be to get hold of an 8-port (or greater) switch.

    Cables are very cheap so buy a few longer ones if need be ... or better still, get some of the LAN attendees to bring them along!

  8. #8
    dgr
    dgr is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    621
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    cables are cheap to buy (ebuyer!) but they are not if you need them by saturday (esp. if you work 6 days a week).

    i have a load of patch on a roll, i just to find some ends. should be able to make some longer cables.

    one of the hubs def. have an uplink, you say i need a crossover? if so, thats o problem.

    though tbh i should be able to get hold of an 8 port

    what cpu speed should i be looking at for the server? i have a p3 733 and a p4 1.6, hoping to use the 733 so i lend the 1.6 to a friend.

    dgr
    dothan 745 @ 2.4ghz | 2gb Corsair XMS (2-3-3-6) | dual raptors (raid0) | ATI 9700pro | CM201 | dual lg 1810

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    LONDON
    Posts
    318
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Originally posted by dgr
    cables are cheap to buy (ebuyer!) but they are not if you need them by saturday (esp. if you work 6 days a week).

    i have a load of patch on a roll, i just to find some ends. should be able to make some longer cables.

    one of the hubs def. have an uplink, you say i need a crossover? if so, thats o problem.

    though tbh i should be able to get hold of an 8 port

    what cpu speed should i be looking at for the server? i have a p3 733 and a p4 1.6, hoping to use the 733 so i lend the 1.6 to a friend.

    dgr
    733 should be ok - but it depends on what you are using it for - from experience UT2003 definitely benefits from a faster processor as there is a lot in game physics to keep track of.

    Also how much RAM has it got?

    The 733 shoud be fine as a server for most games - not sure about Massive Multi's though as I haven't tried (eg Planetside etc... don't even know if you can play these on LAN ...)

  10. #10
    dgr
    dgr is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    621
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    640mb
    dothan 745 @ 2.4ghz | 2gb Corsair XMS (2-3-3-6) | dual raptors (raid0) | ATI 9700pro | CM201 | dual lg 1810

  11. #11
    You are feeling sleepy... acidrainy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    1,518
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked
    2 times in 2 posts
    Originally posted by BlackSheep
    One thing I forgot to mention is that if you have only got 2 * 4 port hubs then you are only going to be able to have 5 clients at any one time because by linking the hubs you lose one port from each => 6 clients and you also lose another client by running a dedicated server.
    He said they were 5 port hubs, this would let him get his clients on without a server...

    Unless the server had 2 nics that bridged the connections between the hubs.... So the server would be kinda sitting on the patch cable

    Some people would then just use diff ips to reach the server

  12. #12
    dgr
    dgr is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    621
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    i do have a spare nic, so yes, i could just put the pc in the middle i guess....

    hmm, decisions

    dgr
    dothan 745 @ 2.4ghz | 2gb Corsair XMS (2-3-3-6) | dual raptors (raid0) | ATI 9700pro | CM201 | dual lg 1810

  13. #13
    Senior Member RoGuE|SaBeR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    1,066
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    I was always intended to make a LAN party guide and I actually got so far as to PMing Moby about it but then exams kicked in and I forgot

    If you cant get a dedicated server just make sure the person with the best system is hosting. It seems obvious I know but there is always someone who moans and wants to host and bitches about it but they really are just compensating

    Might get started on a rough guide because im bored atm with nothing to do...

    PM if you are interested.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    LONDON
    Posts
    318
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Originally posted by RoGuE|SaBeR
    If you cant get a dedicated server just make sure the person with the best system is hosting. It seems obvious I know but there is always someone who moans and wants to host and bitches about it but they really are just compensating

    Might get started on a rough guide because im bored atm with nothing to do...

    PM if you are interested.
    LOL

    If you do it that way then it's not really "dedicated" in the strictest sense of the word - yes, they are running a dedicated server for the game, but by playing on the same machine at the same time the client games have the habit of stealing all (or as much as possible) of the processor power - so be sure to give the dedicated server process highest priority in Task Mgr or ideally use a system that isn't going to have anybody on it at all other than remote clients.

  15. #15
    dgr
    dgr is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    621
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    as black5heep said - i don't think its worth thinking about trying to get 8+ people polaying ut2k3 without a dedicated server...

    dgr
    dothan 745 @ 2.4ghz | 2gb Corsair XMS (2-3-3-6) | dual raptors (raid0) | ATI 9700pro | CM201 | dual lg 1810

  16. #16
    Senior Member RoGuE|SaBeR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    1,066
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Originally posted by dgr
    as black5heep said - i don't think its worth thinking about trying to get 8+ people polaying ut2k3 without a dedicated server...

    dgr
    Been there and done it.

    Was jerky at points but was bearable and he only had a 1.4ghz thunderbird with 512mb Ram. Well ok it was with 6 but it is possible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •