Thread: Isn't it worth waiting.

Thanks

Isn't it worth waiting.

I'll try to be breif.
    Shouldn't I wait on the Quad cores that are to released in Q4 0f 07' using Intel's 45nm Penryn core. Penryn will be a shrink and/or derivative of current Core 2 chips built using 45nm process technology. VR-Zone's story says the Yorkfield XE chip will have four cores clocked at a blazing-fast 3.46-3.73GHz, a total 12MB of cache, and a front-side bus speed of either 1,066MHz or 1,333MHz.Don' know whether it will continue to share FSB or be indepent.The Load temperature is said to be 29 degrees. The total opposite of the release of the Quad cores due out next month. I'm building a Core 2 duo system in the beginning of or (Q1) of 07' and will build another (Q1) of 08' based on Penryn's Quad core unless someone can convince me that it would not matter.
    I can't understand why those of us who know the least, think of themselves to know the most!

P4 2.66ghz.,1Ghz 400mhz Corsair,Maxtor 160GB Sata,
    Nividia 6600gt agp,NEC DVD-CDRW:

Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Thanks
    What was the question again?

Thanks
    shouln't I wait for the Quad cores that are on 45nm die rather than jumping on the first release of Quad on the 65nm die
    I can't understand why those of us who know the least, think of themselves to know the most!

honed at getting pwned
    Thanks
    So the real question is do you 'need' a PC now or can you wait to compare prices/specs/benchmarks?

Thanks
    Well I have this piece of crap P4 2.66 system now and want more performance by next year. Alot more performance! And then eventually by early 2008 getting another sytem with even more performance. I guess I want a basic setup (the one I have now), a second one for advanced gaming (the one I want to build for next year), and a monster!!(the one for 2008).So I'm debating on a C2D or C2Q build for next year. And then a even better performance build in 08'.

Thanks
    I will probably update this system with a AMD 4200+ by the middle of next year. So basically I will have three rigs in my home.

Thanks
    I have been running a 64 bit dual core pc for about a year now and can't say that any game or app is noticably running any better 'cos of it.
    If someone could guarantee me that all my favourite games and apps would benefit from quad core then I'd get it.
    I cannot see any sensible reason to pay extra for new technology that barely offers any advantages.
    If I myself was sensible then the next pc I am about to build would be a 32 bit pc, but I'm not and I cannot resist the seduction of all the core2 duo benchies.

Thanks
    4x3.4-3.7Ghz with 12mb of cache?

1) when I see it in 2007 I'll believe it

2) imagine how much that thing will cost

Thanks
    In the releases that I've read, it say that the top model will be edged at1,0000+ and the additional lineup will be 4 more modestly clocked versions like the C2D. I would be satified with a 2.84mhz 12 mb cache version once it is introduced near the end of 07' early 08'. I would think something at this level would be around $550 US. Of course we are looking at new chipset and interface mobos. This mobos will most likely be introduced for no less than $250 US. I think this motherboards will also take a PC-9000 ram and above. The article also said that they would be extremely overclockable. I will start saving for this about the middle of next year, putting away$100.00us a month.

Old Fool!
    Thanks
    • EtheAv8r's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus V Gene
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570K @ 4500 Mhz
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb
      • Storage:
      • 2 x Samsung EVO 850 SSD; 1 x Samsung 2TB HD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GeForce GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic S-12 650 Energy+
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2713H
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity II
    If you don't need a new PC... then wait and see... they will get faster/cheaper so when you do need a new PC you will get better...

If you do need a new PC now or soon, go Core 2 Duo - midrange, with a board that will support Kentfield when it comes out and upgrade with just a CPU swap... or even 6 months later when they have got cheaper....
    Last edited by EtheAv8r; 18-10-2006 at 10:04 PM.
    Try to make each and every day the best it can be.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EtheAv8r View Post
    If you don't need a new PC... then wait and see... they will get faster/cheaper so when you do need a new PC you will get better...

If you do need a new PC now or soon, go Core 2 Duo - midrange, with a board that will support Kentfield when it comes out and upgrade with just a CPU swap... or even 6 months later when they have got cheaper....
    But the kentsfields are the Quad cores on the 65nm process die. By the time I would want to upgrade from the C2D to Kentsfield, the Quad on the 45nm die will be out. (Refer to the very first thread entry of my thread to see.)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by manne_29 View Post
    I'll try to be breif.
    Shouldn't I wait on the Quad cores that are to released in Q4 0f 07' using Intel's 45nm Penryn core. Penryn will be a shrink and/or derivative of current Core 2 chips built using 45nm process technology. VR-Zone's story says the Yorkfield XE chip will have four cores clocked at a blazing-fast 3.46-3.73GHz, a total 12MB of cache, and a front-side bus speed of either 1,066MHz or 1,333MHz.Don' know whether it will continue to share FSB or be indepent.The Load temperature is said to be 29 degrees. The total opposite of the release of the Quad cores due out next month. I'm building a Core 2 duo system in the beginning of or (Q1) of 07' and will build another (Q1) of 08' based on Penryn's Quad core unless someone can convince me that it would not matter.
    Don't worry about Intel's 45nm. That is a long way off, sometime in Q 2007 to Q1 2008. Right now, I would either go for a nice Core 2 Duo or just wait a little longer for both AMD & Intel to release there Desktop Quad's.

And by the love of me, DO NOT GET THE Core 2 Quadro, it is simply a waist of money & a useless double dual core, unless Intel releases it with a very low price tag. Not worth its price vs performance imo.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mole View Post
    And by the love of me, DO NOT GET THE Core 2 Quadro, it is simply a waist of money & a useless double dual core, unless Intel releases it with a very low price tag. Not worth its price vs performance imo.
    *likes the idea of a waist full of money*

It's rather silly to be commenting on price/performance when we know little about either. You always pay over the odd for the very top rung of the ladder, so why expect any different here? Next thing you'll be yelling at us all never to buy Extreme Edition or FX processors

Thanks
    • cotex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • EVGA 680i SLI LGA 775
      • CPU:
      • Quad Q6600 2.4ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4x1 Gig (DDR2 1066) PC2 8500
      • Storage:
      • 3x WD Cariar SE16mb 500Gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG 8800GTS 640Mb
      • PSU:
      • SilverStone ST85F 850w
      • Case:
      • SilverStone TJ09
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 19"
      • Internet:
      • TimeWarner Cable
    I'm goin wait til vista drops and build everything around the directX 10 model cause that crysis looks that good.
    end of story.

tex

Thread Information