Thread: Pentium D RAM

Splash

Pentium D RAM

Ok, so the missus told her workmates that I work with computers, all well and good. I now have someone's dead PC at home which has a failed mobo and probably cpu. Obviously I would normally point them to some up to date kit however their budget on parts isn't excessive (understandable at this time of year) so I need to figure out the most effective way of getting things up and running again for a few months.

The problem lies in the fact that they want to keep the AGP graphics and DDR RAM. Based on this alone I figure that this is the motherboard, which will allow them to move to a PCI-E card and DDR2 when they have a bit more cash and in order to keep costs down a Pentium D (hush you at the back) like this

My question is (and it's ages since I specced a PC, so be kind) will the DDR400 RAM work with this, or does that CPU need new RAM? If new RAM is needed what are the best options for board/cpu in order to keep AGP/DDR400?

Thanks
    There are very few MOBOs currently still in production that use a combination of DDR and Intel socket 775. That ASRock looks to be your best option for what you are trying to do. Good find.

However, I would not suggest that CPU you have chosen. For about the same money you can have a new Core2Duo CPU which is WAY more powerful, yet consumes less power, runs cooler, etc.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=430631

Splash
    Cheers - I was under the impression that the C2D chips needed DDR2 - is this not the case?

Thanks
    Apparently not on that MOBO. As long as the memory controller on the MOBO is happy, the CPU will be happy. However, you may want to look at the more detailed specifications at the ASRock website to be sure. Download the manual if available and it should show if you can combine DDR with C2D. However, based on the spex already listed, I see no problem with it.

Splash
    Cool - nothing in the manual stating that it's not feasible, just not runnign DDR and DDR2 at the same time. Cheers Yellowbeard!

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    intel chips have no memory controller on them - so technically it's entirely down to the mobo what type of ram they use

Thanks
    Cheers! It sounds as if they will get an excellent upgrade very reasonably. Again, good find on that MOBO, I'll have to bookmark that one as I see many people in similiar situations. Especially those who have invested a lot into an AGP video card and want to get more mileage from it.

Happy Holidays

Thread Information