Thread: Water cooling help...

Thanks

Water cooling help...

Anyone have a good solution, I just built a dual amd 2400+ with a gig of ram and 2 hd, i want to watercool the processors, anyone have a tutorial or a list of things I would need to do this?

Thanks

Thanks
    youd need
    pump
    waterblocks
    lots of tuing
    radiator
    res

i recomeend an ehiem pump, im using a 1250 but it makes an annoying hum so you might want the next one down which has half the flow rate, which is plenty!
    have a look at www.over-clock.co.uk and www.pclinks.co.uk as they have ltos of w/c stuff.
    dangerden blocks seem to be the best atm. try to get waterlocks that are NOT too restrictive, the dtek ones are and so is the new dd rbx. if they are restrictive then it will only cool the first block well.
    for tubing try to get tygon or dd clearflex. both will be crap for UV dye if you wanted to use that as they are surgical grade and have uv filters. good tubing makes it much easyer to set up becuase it will bend more without kinking. also you might want some 90degree elbows so you can do the cpus easyer - tehy are probably so near that without elbows it will kink with any tubing.
    for radiator i recommend getting a car heatercore, or two. im using one form a nova and it cost me £10 from a car repair shop. they are just as good as comercail rads form watercooling exept the copper pipe is usually 15mm diameter which is hard to get the 12mm tubing over but its not impossable. they also dont usually have a shroud so you wil either need to tape your fans to it like i do or make one whihc is what im doing when i get time. screwing fans into the fins of it can cause leaks as thats where the water flows
    resivor isnt needed, im not using one atm but it makes it much easyer as all the air bubbles go a lot quicker and easyer to fill up. dont run your pump submerged as it will make it niosyer

Thanks
    Thanks so much man, how much did you spend all together?

Thanks
    hmmm
    pump was £25 second hand offf these forums
    my ocpc atlantis cpu block was £10 s/h from these forums - it had a crack, doesnt leak though
    ocpc atlantis nb block (rubbishrubbishrubbishrubbishe) was another £20 from here
    tubing was £5 for the second hand stuff, and i got 7meters of cheap tubing free from over-clock due to them being generous and out of stock on what i ordered
    heatercore was £10 plus the cost of fuel to the car breakers (rubbishrubbishrubbishrubbishe - had none on the shelf and i cba to get out out, there almost impossible to get to) and to the repair shop (had some on shelf). reson heatercores si so cheap is ebcause they are used - new ones will cost about the same as a commercail w/c rad.
    i made cpu block from a piece of silver and copper pipe, cost me nothing
    so totaling less than £80 for my whole pc
    ill be getting another heatercore and loads more fans this week which could cost upto £25 :O

+ wood and alu sheet for the shroud im making for heatercore cost me £12 in total

Thanks
    I may have a water block for sale shortly

I will let you know if i do
    Recycling consultant

Thanks
    • Theo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B Wifi deluxe
      • CPU:
      • E6600 @ 3150Mhz
      • Memory:
      • 2x2GB OCZ 6400
      • Storage:
      • 1x80GB Maxtor
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 640MB 8800GT
      • Monitor(s):
      • ASUS M221u
      • Internet:
      • Be Value
    It's www.pclincs.co.uk btw

You'll also need hoseclips, de-ionised water (get yourself a 5 litre bottle from tesco), a lubricant/anti corrosive (eg, Redline Water Wetter) and lots of planning/leak testing/patience

Thanks
    yes hoseclips are very important for preventing connections from leaking. also a good way to prevent tubing from kinkning is to use hoseclips around it, though ive found a betterway being to cut a short peice of tubing down the middle, wrap it around teh about-to-kink tubing, and then if needed used a hoseclip round it
    i dont use lubricant/anti corrosive. my flow rates are so high lubricant isnt needed it would just coat my blocks in a thin layer of crap, same with anti corrosive. galvanic corrosion shouldnt happen in mine, there is no alu in contact with water. the only two touching metals in contact with water are silver and copper, + lead etc.. in the solder, none of those will cause any major corrosion problems
    though if you do get a heatercore make sure you get the crap out before using it, i recommend connecting tube to each end, put one end in a bucket (so the crap doesnt get washed down your bath) and hold the other end up to the bath tap (mains water with higher pressure/flow than other taps in my house) hold it so all the water goes into the tube instead of spraying your wall and put the tap on full. your hands will get very cold very quickly so best to do it in summer
    also while doing it block the end of the tube going into bucket so there is v high pressure on the heatercore - this is to make sure it doesnt leak, if it doesnt now it wont in your w/c unless it gets damaged.
    btw mine hasnt leaked yet, exept for a few drips out the inlet of pumps barb where not enuf ptfe tape was used, but thats stopped without any changing anything

Thanks
    Hey, another favor-

Anyone want to compile a list from a site with prices, the stock number of water i would need, so I can go in and order, this is my first water cooling job and I don't want to screw it up to bad.

I am a complete newbie, I can figure out how to build it, I just don't know the things I will need.

Thanks again.

Thanks
    could do.. what do you want to w/c just the dual cpus or gfx and nb aswell?
    buying everything new can make the total cost go up by 4x though.. the w/c builder thing on over-clock.co.uk was about £430 and does just as much as mine maybe a tiny bit better but not worth the cost imo.

cpu blocks: http://store.over-clock.com/DangerDen_Blocks.html
    2x DangerDen Maze4 (1/2") - AMD

gpu depends on gfx but as your doing dual cpu i assume youll have a crap gfx that doesnt need it

pump: http://store.over-clock.com/Pumps___Accessories.html
    Eheim 1048 Pump (1/2") or Hydor L20 1/2"
    or Eheim 1250 Pump & Inlet Adapter (1/2") or Hydor L30 1/2" if you dont mind bit extra niose

rad:
    heatercore looks like this if you want to get one from a car shop, but the price on over-clock is baout 3x what it should be!: http://store.over-clock.com/Generic.html

http://store.over-clock.com/ThermoChill.html are also good, i wouldnt bother with other commercail s/c rads unless v cheap, these are suppost to be best.

res: any of these http://store.over-clock.com/Reservoirs.html

tubing: http://store.over-clock.com/Tubing.html
    the top 2 are both v good, though ive not used the top one yet as it was out of stock - instead they cancelled my tubing and sent me 7m of the 12.5mm (1/2") Internal Diameter, 15mm (5/8") External Diameter - £1.89 (For DangerDen Systems) for free

Worm Drive Hose Clips (Various Sizes Available) get 12-20mm
    http://store.over-clock.com/Adaptors___Connectors.html

few of these will be usefull aswell:
    1/2" Elbow
    1/2" Y-Connector (im using one of these instead of a res)
    AntiVibration Pump Mounting Kit (if mounitng it in your case - i havent)

then all you need is the water

Thanks
    • Theo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B Wifi deluxe
      • CPU:
      • E6600 @ 3150Mhz
      • Memory:
      • 2x2GB OCZ 6400
      • Storage:
      • 1x80GB Maxtor
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 640MB 8800GT
      • Monitor(s):
      • ASUS M221u
      • Internet:
      • Be Value
    If you want to save a few pennies on the water, go to the car accessories section in Tesco.. you can get large bottles of de-ionised water for around £0.50p

Don't make the mistake my mother made and spend £1.50p for the same amount you can get for 3x less

Thanks
    :O
    my large 5ltr bottle cost me £1.50!

Thanks
    You guys are the rubbishrubbishrubbishrubbishe. Thanks.

Thread Information