• nVidia GeForce GTX1080
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Philips 40" 4K
      • Internet:
      • 500Mbps fiber

Dungeons & Dragons Online

Well, it was released on Friday without any great fanfare (I never even received an email despite registering for the beta) so I bought a copy today.

A few teething issues (crashed a couple of times with what looked to be a memory leak, and one BSOD which was undoubtedly the nVidia driver (it's not possible for user-mode processes to make Windows bugcheck) - I think I made it a little more stable by disabling triple-buffering.

Very quick install time, considering it is 2.57GiB on the DVD.

Character selection seems to be classic D&D, though sadly limited in character variations (no changes to size or build, all stock torso templates).

Immediate comparisons are drawn to Guild Wars for the small zones you run around in, and City of Heroes/Villains for the instanced dungeons - there is no XP gained for just killing mobs, however - it's all from completing missions.

Graphics engine is very swish - on a par with the WoW level of detail but with the colour scheme and appearance of Guild Wars.

UI might take a bit of getting used to, but this is standard practice for me and MMOGs
    First impression is that it's not as intuitive as WoW, and it's a bit like the SWG/AO interface (everything draggable around the screen).

Game installs on XP x64 and Vista without a hitch - as I said I suspect the nVidia drivers as being my biggest issue with the 7800GT-based system, and I'm already on the latest 64-bit ForceWare drivers.

Not even hit level 2 yet - reached "level 1 rank 2" which is just the first milestone to pick up a "feat".

It doesn't have the instant appeal that WoW had, so I'm not sure it's a long-term game for me - I'm more interested in the Burning Legion WoW add-on

Anyone else picked up this game and had a play?
    ~ I have CDO. It's like OCD except the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be. ~
    PC: Win10 x64 | Asus Maximus VIII | Core i7-6700K | 16GB DDR3 | 2x250GB SSD | 500GB SSD | 2TB SATA-300 | GeForce GTX1080
    Camera: Canon 60D | Sigma 10-20/4.0-5.6 | Canon 100/2.8 | Tamron 18-270/3.5-6.3

Registered+
    Thanks
    Yeah I picked up the Collectors/Special Edition Box Sunday and spent the evening exploring.

I registered for the beta but didn't get my key until the day before it ended...DOH!!

My box had truck loads of stuff in it. Poster, 2xpainted figures from Wizards of the Coast new game, cd's with songs and artwork, and other things I can't recall.

You get boots of speed for getting the more expensive box as well.

It definitely has some Guild Wars traits to the layout. Graphics are good too.

Have a few issues with LAG in the INNS. More load testing required in BETA me thinks...
    Oh and finding a party to do quests with is a bit labour intensive. Maybe it's just me.
    I've not seen any guilds yet. a Hexus Guild anyone???

I've created a Cleric and during combat find it quit hard to navigate the menu's to find spells (while running around trying to swat at some daft Kobold or spider...)

I've made it to LVL1 Rank 3 but I have seen lvl 8's are about... Hardcore Beta testers they must be.

Anyway I'll see y'all ingame sometime.
    Last edited by moose82; 06-03-2006 at 06:09 PM.

Thanks
    Sorry guys - I played this in Beta and it sucked!

Now, let me qualify that....
    I'm an avid roleplayer - have been since I was 9 years old. My interpretation of how D&D should be are at odds with this game on the style side of things. On a technical viewpoint I feel taht Wow beats it at every turn, from the interface to the actual combat and interacton with NPCs.
    The only saving grace I found whilst Beta testing was the character generation, but even that is not that much more than WoW.

For all those that are playing both, have you noticed the depth of the background to WoW? considering that D&D has beena round for so long you would have tought they wuld have at least used a realm that has a lot of history in which to imerse yourself. Say Forgotten Realms or even Greyhawk (not one of my favs, but one I know well from years of roleplay). Think about the number of Novels that are available for Forgotten realms, the depths of the characters that rule the various kingdoms, etc.

Maybe I'm being over critical, but I did expect more and was sad when my expectations were not even close to the end product.

Long live WoW (oh - and if your a roleplayer then go and get the D&D books - you can then have loads of fun playing it out in Pen and Paper

Registered+
    Thanks
    Well lets hope that NWN 2 will be more to your liking? Quite liked NWN+expansions.
    But then I can't not like a D&D game. Have played Baldur's Gate Series and Icewind Dale series. TO ABSOLUTE DEATH. I'm not sure there are any classes/combo classes I've not played. I even remember when 3 classes were not uncommon.

I particularily liked in NWN the fast you could create your own world in which to explore and DM in. Much like playing with the good old BIC and paper.

I think it immerses you into the gameplay a bit more. Previous D&D games have been quite removed from combat say (for example) Now I feel the rush of combat and the frantic casting of spells (whilst running around like a mad man trying to avoid getting hit)

I'll see how it progresses. If I find it not to my liking I'll stop subscribing. They will get the picture if everyone stops subscribing.

Thanks
    [QUOTE=moose82]Well lets hope that NWN 2 will be more to your liking? Quite liked NWN+expansions.
    QUOTE]

Yeah NWN kinda ruled for the time. I went from that to Star Wars Galaxys - My first MMORPG - Then from there to WoW. Not looked back it has to be said. Though I do prefer the questing in online games to the raiding, either npcs or pvp. I like to have a goal and go for it - We (my mates and I did try out the whole create your own world thing, though I prefered the pre written ones that were done for Forgotten Realms, not sure if that is still an ongoing project or not - I've not played NWN for a long time now.

might have to dig it out again sometime.

On a Tactical Vessel in search of an Invisible Submarine
    Thanks
    i gotta agree with kalten here i played beta too and i didnt resubscribe to full the game is kinda poopy.

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    could someone do me a few screenies please? I'd love to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Nox
    Vorsprung durch Technik
    Thanks
    • Nox's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Yes
      • CPU:
      • Yes
      • Memory:
      • Yes
      • Storage:
      • Yes
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Yes
      • PSU:
      • Yes
      • Case:
      • Yes
      • Monitor(s):
      • Yes
      • Internet:
      • Yes
    I'm still playing this - i'm on the server beginning with the letter 'L' !!! Lyrandor or something?? I also plaed a bit of beta, and really did not enjoy it, only reason I bought it as a group of us RL friends bought it. Did play it just to 'be online' so I could group with them, found the early quests fairly boring. But, I had a turning point... I was running around some dungeon and I picked up an item, that was pretty cool in my head, then someone in the party told me of some shops to buy/sell high end items. Visited the shop, and wow, I just want to log on to collect/sell items just to get one of these fabled things!!!

Been inspired, until friday atleast!

Nox

Thanks
    • Paul Adams's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VIII
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-6700K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • 2x250GB SSD / 500GB SSD / 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GeForce GTX1080
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Philips 40" 4K
      • Internet:
      • 500Mbps fiber
    Quote Originally Posted by Zak33
    could someone do me a few screenies please? I'd love to see it.
    Oof, sorry Zak I missed this entirely...

Official website has a screeny section:
    http://www.ddo-europe.com/screenshots.php

Linking to some of my pics instead of making them inline, they are resized from 1600x1200 down to 800x600:
    This is a few of the sheets of the UI open and littered around the screen
    This is me standing around in a tavern - blue names are players
    Descending a ladder during a quest - quest status window seen top-right
    Boss in the "Shan-To-Kor" quest

My current chars are:
    Elf Cleric 3/Ranger 2
    Halfling Rogue 5
    Human Barbarian 5
    Human Bard 1
    Human Sorceror 2

Given the level cap is currently 10, I can see myself only subscribing for another month after my free month - though there is a new module due in April...
    ~ I have CDO. It's like OCD except the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be. ~
    PC: Win10 x64 | Asus Maximus VIII | Core i7-6700K | 16GB DDR3 | 2x250GB SSD | 500GB SSD | 2TB SATA-300 | GeForce GTX1080

Nox
    Vorsprung durch Technik
    Thanks
    • Nox's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Yes
      • CPU:
      • Yes
      • Memory:
      • Yes
      • Storage:
      • Yes
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Yes
      • PSU:
      • Yes
      • Case:
      • Yes
      • Monitor(s):
      • Yes
      • Internet:
      • Yes
    That boss is a right PITA!!!

No idea how you managed to get up there, I normally stand in the tunnel behind a rock with a backpack of throwing axes

Lvl 4 Human Paladin
    Lvl 4 Human Barbarian
    Lvl 3 Human Thief

Been enjoying Oblivion a bit too much

Nox

Thanks
    • Paul Adams's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VIII
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-6700K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • 2x250GB SSD / 500GB SSD / 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GeForce GTX1080
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Philips 40" 4K
      • Internet:
      • 500Mbps fiber
    Quote Originally Posted by Nox
    That boss is a right PITA!!!

No idea how you managed to get up there, I normally stand in the tunnel behind a rock with a backpack of throwing axes

Lvl 4 Human Paladin
    Lvl 4 Human Barbarian
    Lvl 3 Human Thief

Been enjoying Oblivion a bit too much

Nox
    Persistent jumping over the entrance where the gate drops when you trigger him.
    It's safer than the tunnel because of the elementals - you only have to deal with the rocks he tosses.

My sorceror at level 3 was able to take down that guy with magic missiles and still have spell points left over, just needed a cleric up there to heal a few times

My subscription just expired and I'm going to be on holiday a fair chunk of April so I'll not re-sub until I get back, but currently I have my 4 main chars at level 5 now.

Oblivion is my new toy, finally got round to playing it last night and going "oooh" and "aaah" and the graphics crippling my 7800GT.

Nox
    Vorsprung durch Technik
    Thanks
    • Nox's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Yes
      • CPU:
      • Yes
      • Memory:
      • Yes
      • Storage:
      • Yes
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Yes
      • PSU:
      • Yes
      • Case:
      • Yes
      • Monitor(s):
      • Yes
      • Internet:
      • Yes
    ah, i'd prefer to take on the two elementals and hide behind the rocks to deal with his tossing.

Ripped him to shreds last night in melee, for the first time ever lvl 5 barb with a +2 adamantite greatsword. Lets ignore that damage reduction

What server are you on?

Nox

Thanks
    Thought I'd resurect this thread....

now, after all this time...what do you guys think?
    Me? I'm still playing Wow and loving it
    D&D? Not picked it up since I posted about the Beta...it jut hold zero appeal for me...the same thing happened to me with the LoTR online game...played the Beta and didn't get on with it at all...I guess I should really go work for Blizzard or something! lol

Let me know - I'm curious as to folks ideas these days.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Lube's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EP45-UD3P Rev 1.1
      • CPU:
      • Intel C2D E8600 @ 4.32GHz
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill PC8500 DDR2 1066 8GB (4x 2GB) 5-5-5-15
      • Storage:
      • Western Digital Velociraptor 10k 300GB // Seagate Barracuda SATAII 7.2k 160GB, 300GB, 500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2x Sapphire Radeon 4870 1GB [CF]
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX850W
      • Case:
      • NZXT ZERO II
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus VW246H 24" 1080p
      • Internet:
      • 15mb

Re: Dungeons & Dragons Online

I started playing this two nights ago. So far I like it. Graphics look good for an older game and the sound is decent. Game play is fun so far. I dig how when starting a mission or entering key areas the DM speaks. Reminds me of playing D&D paper and pen as a kid.

I haven't made it out of the starting city area. I read earlier in this thread that the area to freely roam is small and similar to Guild Wars in size? If this is true then I will be bummed. Playing games like SWG, Vanguard, and LOTRO have spoiled me with the ability to go any where any time and walk for hours. I had hoped D&D Online would be like this too but then again D&D was always about the dungeons.

I must say I'm really enjoying it so far but I'm just playing the 10 day trial so I don't know if its good enough to pay to play...we'll see.

Thread Information