• PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse 62
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7

PSU Warranty Query

Hello,

I have a Corsair HX620 PSU which died in spectacular fashion last night. Now this PSU is actually the second HX620 I have had, the first was replaced in warranty by the reseller (scan) after it failed after ~2 years.

My question is whether I still qualify for an RMA under warranty? Your website states that the warranty on these PSUs is 5 years, and although this particular PSU is less than 5 years old, it is more than five years since the initial purchase.

Many thanks,

Paul

Corsair Rep
    Thanks

Re: PSU Warranty Query

My suggestion is, submit a ticket regarding the issue and explain afterwards to our customer service what the situation is. They can probably work something out for you. To create a ticket, please go here, Corsair.Force.com

Thanks
    • d032sh's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5b-e
      • CPU:
      • E4300 @ 3GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB OCZ Platinum
      • Storage:
      • ~4TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GTS 640MB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse 62
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7

Quote Originally Posted by Greybeard View Post
    My suggestion is, submit a ticket regarding the issue and explain afterwards to our customer service what the situation is. They can probably work something out for you. To create a ticket, please go here, Corsair.Force.com
    Thanks for the comment, Greybeard. I've done that now got the response: 'Hi Paul, the 2009 replacement would have kept the original unit's warranty' so it looks like I'm out of luck. Thanks anyway.

Corsair Rep
    Thanks

Sorry to hear that. It was worth a shot asking though.

JD1
    Registered+
    Thanks
    • JD1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • P8Z77-V LX / P8H61-M LX PLUS
      • CPU:
      • I5 2500 @3.9/ Pentium G630
      • Memory:
      • Corsair XMS3 Dominator 16GB @ 1333 Mhz / 2X2 GB INTEGRAL PC3-10600
      • Storage:
      • 2X OCZ 64GB Agility 3//2X SATA2 OCZ 60GB Vertex Plus R2 FOR DRAM// 6X SATA 2 1TB HITACHI HDS72101
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NONE YET
      • PSU:
      • 2X Corsair 600W CX Builder Series 80 Plus Bronze
      • Case:
      • Sumvision Arena 400 Mesh // Fractal Design Core 1000
      • Operating System:
      • WINDOW7//SUSE
      • Monitor(s):
      • HANNSPREE WITH Startech port DVI KVM TO GET TO COMPUTERS TO RUN OFF 1 MONITOR
      • Internet:
      • ISP=Sky with a 4 PORT GB NET-GEAR SWITCH

just to ask did you get the psu of amazon i got a replacement after a year with my psu so i have another 3 year with corsair as my replacement is NEW

Thanks
    • MrRockliffe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z270i Strix
      • CPU:
      • i7 6700K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DDR4 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 500GB 850 Evo, 500GB 860 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 1070 Ti Gaming
      • PSU:
      • 550W Supernova G2
      • Case:
      • NZXT H200
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PB278Q
      • Internet:
      • Hyperoptic 150Mb

That's pretty disgusting. The replacement should carry a new warranty. I've sent back 3 pairs of bose headphones and they've all come back with a new warranty.
    XBOX Live - Sheep Sardine | Origin - MrRockliffe | Steam - MrRockliffe |

Add me

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrRockliffe View Post
    That's pretty disgusting. The replacement should carry a new warranty. I've sent back 3 pairs of bose headphones and they've all come back with a new warranty.
    Well, it is, and it isn't. You have to remember that while there are some legal controls over warranties offered by manufacturers (or retailers, for that matter, like being enforceable in court, and use of plain English) you only get what the warranty says you get, in the way of cover. It's far from uncommon from one of the terms to be that in the event of a whole replacement, that voids the warranty.

Also, bear in mind that a warranty is NOT your consumer rights, and that those rights MIGHT give you covering a situation like this, and they MIGHT be enforceable (against the seller, not the manufacturer) up to 6 years (in England, Wales and NI, but a bit different in Scotland), and a replacement that subsequently fails doesn't void those. They won't necessarily help in this case, and it probably won't be worth pursuing over a PSU, but the principle holds.

SUMMONER

Your best bet is to write to Scan and ask them for a discretional discount off your next PSU purchase.

Explain to them how disappointed you are with the product failing twice and that you want them to give £15-£20 towards your next purchase.

This may not even end up costing them anything, as their Corsair rep may decide to send them a discounted PSU to sell to you/give them some credit in line with selling you a new one at a reduced price. It is a common practice when dealing with major brands.
    Last edited by SUMMONER; 10-12-2013 at 02:23 PM.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SUMMONER View Post
    Your best bet is to write to Scan and ask them for a discretional discount off your next PSU purchase.

Explain to them how disappointed you are with the product failing twice and that you want them to give £15-£20 towards your next purchase.

This may not even end up costing them anything, as their Corsair rep may decide to send them a discounted PSU to sell to you/give them some credit in line with selling you a new one at a reduced price. It is a common practice when dealing with major brands.
    Worth a try perhaps, but given that the original PSU was more than 5 years old, maybe a tad optimistic??

I don't have Corsair PSU's, but if I did and two on the trot had failed, I don't think I'd be inclined to buy another one, discount or not. I'd go for something else next time. Maybe that 's just me.

Thanks
    • d032sh's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5b-e
      • CPU:
      • E4300 @ 3GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB OCZ Platinum
      • Storage:
      • ~4TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GTS 640MB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse 62
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    Worth a try perhaps, but given that the original PSU was more than 5 years old, maybe a tad optimistic??

I don't have Corsair PSU's, but if I did and two on the trot had failed, I don't think I'd be inclined to buy another one, discount or not. I'd go for something else next time. Maybe that 's just me.
    Bit of a necro on this thread! I wasn't overly surprised that they didn't honour the warranty to be honest (but it would have been nice).

As Saracen suspected though, I certainly wasn't looking at other Corsair PSUs when I was buying a full price replacement.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by d032sh View Post
    Bit of a necro on this thread! I wasn't overly surprised that they didn't honour the warranty to be honest (but it would have been nice).

As Saracen suspected though, I certainly wasn't looking at other Corsair PSUs when I was buying a full price replacement.
    Indeed it was a bit necro, but it had been resurrected a few posts earlier. I posted in response to one of those, and while no doubt far too late to be useful to you, I keep one eye on the fact that some people come to threads months, even several years, later, due to search engine results when they have a similar issue. Some threads are worth commenting on, even ages later.

As for getting another product from a make that's let me down, I guess my attitude is a bit more nuanced than I suggested. Being let down wouldn't endear them to me, but a lot would depend on my overall experience. If I had a dozen PSUs and one had let me down, and then I'd not been happy with customer service, my natural inclination would be to go elsewhere. BUT, of course, doing so could result in me picking an inferior product. I might well, though, go elsewhere anyway. I certainly tend to use suppliers in whom I have trust in CS standards even if I pay a premium for it. It's worth it to me for peace of mind. I've been using the same car hifi company for about 35 years because when I've had issues they been superb, and I would always buy at John Lewis, given the chance, rather than, say, Currys, for exactly the same reason.

With a rather more commodity product though, if let down once I don't go back. But after 5+ years, I don't know how upset I'd feel. I've had PSUs last MUCH longer, but also one (not Corsair) that blew inside the first year and took two hard drives, the CPU and a £300 unreplaceable video board with it. Grrr.

Corsair Rep
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by d032sh View Post

Sorry d032sh, I wish I could do more for you, but when it comes to honoring warranty and all - Our customer service will always have the upper hand on that. Speeding up the RMA process and postage fees and such, with those I can work my magic, but product that is out of warranty period - totally different ball game.

Thanks
    • d032sh's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5b-e
      • CPU:
      • E4300 @ 3GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB OCZ Platinum
      • Storage:
      • ~4TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GTS 640MB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse 62
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7

You were quite helpful Greybeard and I did appreciate the assistance. I will also almost certainly buy other Corsair products in future. I was a little disappointed and would have liked the warranty to renew with the previous RMA, but I certainly didn't really expect a free replacement half a decade after I initially bought the PSU.

Thanks
    • grayg1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • 24GB Patriot Viper 3 (x2 8GB, x2 4GB)
      • Storage:
      • Crucial 240GB M500 | 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 270X 4GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX650
      • Case:
      • Nanoxia DS1

HX620 was made by Seasonic and most PSUs are made by other companies and rebadged. Not all Corsair PSUs are made by Seasonic, so not much point avoiding Corsair PSUs for that, however alot of people would say Seasonic make some of the most high quality PSU around.

Probably just really unlucky

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by grayg1 View Post
    HX620 was made by Seasonic and most PSUs are made by other companies and rebadged. Not all Corsair PSUs are made by Seasonic, so not much point avoiding Corsair PSUs for that, however alot of people would say Seasonic make some of the most high quality PSU around.

But that opens a series of issues.

So, NOT in relation to the HX620 in specific or indeed, even to Corsair, but to the general situation ...

1) If you buy from someone badging a product, you don't necessarily know that what goes into production this month is the same as what was in it last month. Suppose Saracen Ltd makes PSUs? This month, I'm getting a good deal from Seasonic, so that's what I use. But next month, it's Enermax, and last month it was Delta. Again, I'm NOT saying Corsair do this, or did it with the HX620, but if you're buying a given company's product, of a given spec, all you xan be sure to rely on is that it meets that spec, and not that it necessarily comes from a given supplier.

2) You cannot be sure that, just because Seasonic made it, it was necessarily made to the same spec, or using the same components, that Seasonic use in their own branded product. It might be an identical unit, but it might be made to spec defined by the OEM placing the order.

3) Whatever is inside a unit, if you rely on a warranty from a manufacturer, it is that company's warranty terms, and customer service standards, that will matter, not those of whoever made the inrernals of a badged product, because even if you bought a PSU with internals made by Seasonic, you bought a Corsair unit.

Again, I stress, I'm not having a go at Corsair. I don't think they've done anything wrong here, and I'm fully aware that the HX520/620 had a stellar reputation for quality and value.

But nonetheless, if I bought product from a company several times and they failed, I'd switch makes. I'd give someone else a try, bad luck or not. I have PSU's in machines dating back 15 years, and more, that are still running. Hell, I have a radio transmitter with a PSU 40+ years old that's still fine.

Thread Information