Thread: Google Chromebook questions

Thanks

Google Chromebook questions

Hi there. i'm from the UK and recently discovered this new Google Chromebook laptop range by Samsung. went to a PCworld store and was very impressed by it. but still left me with many questions:

1. can you install or assign a desktop wallpaper to the CB? ('cause i noticed there is no desktop or main homescreen unlike my Windows 7 laptop)

2. i noticed there is no bluetooth. would you know why? do you think a lack of bluetooth makes the laptop "incomplete"? (like when connecting a bt-enabled speaker/headphones/etc.)

3. can you save a photo taken from a microSD card on the laptop to any part of the hard drive? and can you partition the hard drive?

4. is there a function of "face to unlock" like Android 4.0?

5. can i still install 3rd-party softwares like those equivalent to MS office, anti-viruses, etc. (like Open Office, AVG, Media Monkey, Skype, yahoo messenger, etc.)

6. reading the specs the CB doesn't seem to have DLNA. its not a deal breaker but sometimes being DLNA-enabled would be very helpful especially when streaming files to a compatible device (e.g. internet tv or PS3)

and why do i need a Chromebook than a typical notebook?

Thanks.

Thanks
    • riding moon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Rampage Extreme
      • Memory:
      • DDR3 2000 Corsair
      • Storage:
      • Raid 5
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS 4670

Re: Google Chromebook questions

Chrome group on G+ https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...mebook-central

Above all else you are being forced into the cloud computing era, with everything centralised and available from the net.

1. If you have a google account there are thousands of themes but you can't just yet add a local wallpaper. Also Picasa allows profile photos.

2. Bluetooth is added but not available just yet.

3. Don't know, and photo's can go on Picasa.

4. If face to unlock is on Icecream Sandwich it'll likely end up on the chromebook in the future.

5. Live docs with HTML5 (offline support TBA) https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...dpcch?hl=en-US.

There's no support for .exe files. If it's web run you should be able to run it.

6. Since Google is not a member of DLNA (but most of their hardware partners are), I don't know that you can expect official Google support for DLNA. Also, DLNA is a peer-to-peer protocol rather than the cloud-based focus of Chrome OS - so it doesn't really seem to be part of the Chromebook vision. While I can't speak for Google, I have a hard time seeing this as being a priority for the Chromebooks, but I do know that there have been some feature requests made for DLNA support in Chrome OS. I guess we'll see what happens as the platform evolves. It is definitely an ongoing process. As with most tech, it's not worth buying into it until after a couple of years to see what support and the user base has evolved into.

Thread Information