Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My laptop didnt come with a windows disk...

Thanks
    • chrestomanci's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus AMD AM4 Ryzen PRIME B350M
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 1600 @ stock clocks
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 2666MHz
      • Storage:
      • 250Gb Samsung 960 Evo M.2 + 3Tb Western Digital Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Basic AMD GPU (OSS linux drivers)
      • PSU:
      • Novatech 500W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG02
      • Operating System:
      • Linux - Latest Xubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ 24" LCD (Thanks: DDY)
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC

Re: My laptop didnt come with a windows disk...

Ars Technica did a guide a few weeks ago on how to re-install windows:

http://arstechnica.com/features/2012...s-on-a-new-pc/

In summary:

You don't need an OEM system disc to re-install windows. Your Windows Licence key will work with a standard install disc.

ISO images for a standard install disc are easy to download and are available legally from a Microsoft approved download site.

Make sure you get hold of drivers for your hardware before you start the install. Network, graphics and touchpad drivers are the most important. Windows update can usually find the rest automatically, but without network drivers you will be in a catch 22.

By re-installing, you remove all the OEM bloatware and get a clean install that will be faster.

Sprouts are not food Attila the Bun's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Attila the Bun's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VII Gene
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K with H100i cooler
      • Memory:
      • 16GB CORSAIR Vengence 1600
      • Storage:
      • 250 GB Samsung 850 EVO / 256GB Samsung 830 / 1 TB Hitachi Deskstar
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS RADEON 7970 CU II TOP
      • PSU:
      • 650w EVGA Supernova G2
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V359
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Pro / Win 8(laptop)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Various
      • Internet:
      • 16mb down, 1mb up

I was going to ask nearly the exact same question as the o.p. but this excellently helpful thread has saved me a lot of hassle.

Cheers All.
    Of course I'm perfect you just need to lower your expectations.

Sprouts are not food Attila the Bun's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Attila the Bun's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VII Gene
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K with H100i cooler
      • Memory:
      • 16GB CORSAIR Vengence 1600
      • Storage:
      • 250 GB Samsung 850 EVO / 256GB Samsung 830 / 1 TB Hitachi Deskstar
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS RADEON 7970 CU II TOP
      • PSU:
      • 650w EVGA Supernova G2
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V359
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Pro / Win 8(laptop)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Various
      • Internet:
      • 16mb down, 1mb up

Hiya Guys,

Following a successful rebuild of my laptop I thought I would give a heads up on my experience for anybody else trying to do the same.

1. Download the windows ISO file. I tried the download links in the page that g8ina supplied the link for and downloaded a copy of win 7 ultimate 64 bit.

2. Downloaded the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download tool (here: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...usbdvd_dwnTool ).

3. Follow the simple steps to transfer the files from my hard drive to the pen drive (I bought a new 8gb pen drive for the purpose). This was where the first of my problems occurred. The download tool said I hadn't got a valid ***.iso file so I went back to the windows iso links and successfully re-downloaded ultimate. Download tool was happy with this file until Transfer Step 4 when it just "blinked" and displayed an error message saying it couldn't transfer the file. I uninstalled Download tool, re-loaded it and ran it again...Step 4 same error. Thought I'd try a different version of windows so as my laptop was running home prem I downloaded that. Exactly the same thing happened as with ultimate, first it wasn't recognized then it baulked at step 4.

4. It is now 1:00 in the morning so I decide to try again after a good nights sleep.

5. No success...I'm beginning to think that it could be the pen drive or my home rig settings, I tried a different pen drive with no joy and could find nothing about settings effecting the process anywhere on the web.

6. Tried it at work with an ISO version of ultimate that one of our techie chaps had...worked first time...there was much rejoicing.

7. At home I went through the process of downloading all of the drivers that ASUS had listed for my laptop model which took about half an hour. I then dithered as to whether or not to add them to the pen drive with win 7 on. I decided against because I didn't know what effect it might have and it's no real problem to transfer them via another pen drive.

8. Once I had all the drivers and ensured that I had backed up all the files on the laptop I wiped the HDD (scary moment).

9. Renamed the \sources\ei.cfg file on the pen drive which would hopefully give me all the versions of win 7.

10. Plugged in USB stick and fired up the laptop...EEK...where is the pen drive...reboot to bios...double EEK...no pen drive.

11. Panic or not to panic. I decided on "not to panic". Went back to the arstechnica link provided above by chrestomanci. Read page 1...hold on there's a page 2...*major hand to forehead moment*...followed the instructions on page 2.

12. Rebooted laptop to bios...YIPPEE...there it is...there was much rejoicing.

13. Clicked setup. All the versions displayed. I chose Home Prem and went through the normal setup procedure. I put in the product key from the bottom of the laptop when requested (and I was sensible enough to write it down on a separate piece of paper before starting so there was no need for laptop juggling). Everything went smoothly and eventually I was presented with a nice clean desktop.

14. Loaded all the drivers and watched happily as win 7 connected me wirelessly to the web.

15. HOW MANY UPDATES...129 including SP1...it turns out the techie had copied over a pre SP1 ISO version. Oh well...It took about 3-4 hours in all on my 16 meg link to do all the updates but I wasn't worried because at the end I had nice clean laptop that ran significantly faster.

Now I know that this post doesn't tell anything about the correct steps that you can't find elsewhere but I thought it would be useful to people doing it for the first time (like me) and who get errors not covered by those other guys who know what they are doing.
    Now that I've done it once I'm going to retrace my steps and get a win 7 SP1 version sorted so that if I ever have to rebuild again I'm ready to go.
    Hope it's useful.
    Cheers
    AtB

ps.If I haven't made any of the points clear enough either PM me or leave a post here and I'll get back to you.
    Of course I'm perfect you just need to lower your expectations.

4. Received thanks from:

Biscuit (14-09-2012)

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Thats pretty much how mine went down cheers for the guide. Good point to set the status to resolved i think

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information