Thread: Nothing on the screen on the laptop.

Thanks

Nothing on the screen on the laptop.

I got Acer aspire 5920G , now got a problem with it, When I turn on the laptop it hasn't got anything come up on the screen I can't even see an ACER logo come up either but I can see a light from HDD running and then I heard a welcome window sound I think that's mean a laptop operated got it to window but nothing show on the screen, What do you think it happen like this?
    Thanks

Thanks
    • kompukare's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 850 EVo 500GB | Corsair MP510 960GB | 2 x WD 4TB spinners
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sappihre R7 260X 1GB (sic)
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650 Gold TruePower (Seasonic)
      • Case:
      • Aerocool DS 200 (silenced, 53.6 litres)l)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10-64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x ViewSonic 27" 1440p

Re: Nothing on the screen on the laptop.

Almost certainly another nVidia defect since the 5920G uses a Geforce 8600M. Pretty much all those Geforce chips from that era are defect it's only a matter time.

Do a search and you'll find plenty of complaints about them dying. And there is very little you can do: the defect is due to a poor choice of solder in the chip packaging and that can't be fixed. Some people try 'reflows' or even get the part reballed but both are temporary and throwing good money after bad.

In theory nVidia could have made replacement chips with different solder and supplied them to their OEMs so that they could offer a lasting repair but they didn't. The nVidia defect / bumpgate probably did over $1 billion in damages but nVidia only paid out around $250 million for some poor settlement (mostly in the US). BTW, pretty much everything from those years (2007 & 2008) is affected: I've personally had or seen 8800GT (desktop card), 8500M mobile, nForce 7150 chipset. Allegedly some people have had some success going the small claims court but I didn't try that: instead I'm still boycotting all nVidia products (they're hardly a nice company anyhow: a bit to aggressive for my taste and the CEO is very arrogant).

Thanks

Very good comment. That 's shame of them Nvidia. I was a great fan of Nvidia but I prefer them on Desktop Graphic card. alway used Nividia when I did some upgrade but recently just go with ATI and it looks satisfy by me.
    thinking about the other hand of fix that will be throw money away. I don't think they have a specific graphic card for for this laptop either.

Thanks

Erm, the first thing you should do is connect the laptop to a monitor or tv using a vga cable to confirm whether the graphics card does indeed have a problem. From my experience, when the graphics die, I either get garbled screens or BSODs, not full boots with no display.

I have a feeling its just a loose cable or a dead backlight.

Thanks
    • kompukare's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10-64
      • Monitor(s):

Yes by all means try using an external monitor, but there probably is no 100% consistency when it comes to these defects. I remember someone on a tech forum asking if it is possible for a nVidia defect laptop to work with an external but with the internal being broken, and the answer was along the lines that yes when you're dealing with a chip with a couple of 100s 'pins' (any of which could break anytime) the results can look a bit random.

This page has photos of G86 (aka 8600M):

http://gsmserver.com/shop/spares/ic_...hipset_bga.php
    and those are a lot of pins which can go bad.

Another possibility is to get a different MXM card but unfortunately MXM is not like PCI-E on desktop cards: the thermals and size need to fit but the laptop BIOS needs to support the card too. In other words MXM is a mess as I found out with that 8500M which was actually for an All-in-One desktop which also came with onboard Intel GMA4500 and in theory there there should be a MXM loopback cards available somewhere to switch the onboard graphics but no luck.

Like I already mentioned some people did get restitution via the small claims court but repairs don't last and with refunds settlements generally subtract a large % for the time you had the use of the laptop.

Thanks

Thank you for your advice. I did try with 2 different monitors last night but it didn't make any different really. Or it could be really problem with the graphic card? To replace with new chip might be worth, Interesting but not sure if I order this part could be more $90.00 to delivery it to UK .

Thanks
    • pp05's system
      • Motherboard:
      • AsRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming itx
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3 2200G
      • Memory:
      • Ballistix Elite 8GB Kit 3200 UDIMM
      • Storage:
      • Kingston 240gb SSD
      • PSU:
      • Kolink SFX 350W PSU
      • Case:
      • Kolink Sattelite plus MITX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
    Slightly obvious did you give it the old school whack from behind and see if anything happened?

Also try holding it from the right corner and give it a sudden jolt back and forward with force. Just to rule it out.

Thanks
    • kompukare's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10-64
      • Monitor(s):

Quote Originally Posted by pp05 View Post
    Slightly obvious did you give it the old school whack from behind and see if anything happened?

Also try holding it from the right corner and give it a sudden jolt back and forward with force. Just to rule it out.
    The old drop test. But since the OP already tried it with an external and since in 99.9999% of laptops the VGA ports is on the motherboard there is nothing which could have worked lose IMO.

Thread Information