Thread: Would it be unreasonable if ...

Registered+
    Thanks

Would it be unreasonable if ...

On Friday a computer destined for me was delivered to a random factory/business premises somewhere else in the UK in error. The courier can't have been the sharpest tool in the box. I had taken the day off work to receive the goods and had called the previous day to confirm that the delivery was on its way.

The manufacturer, lets call them...say...Adamsham, was very apologetic and have said they will collect it and resend it to me using a courier who actually posseses an A to Z and a brain. However, my concern is that three grands worth of kit has received the 'goods inward' treatment at some random UK business and the equipment has therefore essentially been outside of the manufacturers and my control during that time.

I'm tempted to decline the machine due to this.

Do you folks think that would be unreasonable or should I should I just accept it when it finally arrives? I opted for three year warranty anyway so I guess if it screws up at any time I should be covered.

I don't want to be unreasonable but nor do I wish to be a sucker.

What would you guys do?

Un-Official HEXUS CS:S Clan Member/ajbruns man! Daymonkey's Avatar
    Thanks
    i would refuse it , try and get a new one sent out at the cost of the courier its there fault isnt it. You never know the company could have thought they had a right lucky day, they could have opened it messed around with it then put it back and sealed it back up.

Irc Channels To Join(Quakenet), #hexus.cs, #hexus.net

Registered+
    Thanks
    Yep that's what I was thinking. I've seen the way goods inward are treated in many places (roughly), and that's besides the fact that you never know who's opened it and had their grubby mitts on it. It's kind of like somebody else reading your newspaper before you get to it, or somebody driving your new car before you get the chance to do so.

Only problem is that I'll have to take delivery of the machine and then ask for the replacement afterwards. Otherwise they'll just resend me the first one and assure me that it's a replacement...I'll tell them that they can collect the original one when they deliver the second.

That's two of us for refusing it then. Any other opinions?

Thanks
    • Allen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VIII Gene
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 6600K
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 8GB Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4-3000
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 950 PRO NVMe M.2 (OS) + 2 x 512GB Samsung 960 EVO in RAID 0 (Games)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC
      • PSU:
      • XFX P1-650X-NLG9 XXX 650W Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Node 804
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" BenQ XL2730Z + 23" Dell U2311H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mbps
    If they're anything like the muppets in the warehouse/goods inwards area of my company, I'd refuse it and get NEW kit sent out, even of the package is unopened.

Saying that, you could open it and check it before signing? But the courier might not like that...

Registered+
    Thanks
    Thanks Allen. That's three of us in agreement then

My girlfriend said that I was being unreasonable and should just accept the machine. I disagreed hence my post. She'll be so pleased to know that I was right lol.

Seriously though, all opinions welcome.

Will work for beer... nichomach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • nichomach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95W
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DR3
      • Storage:
      • 1x250GB Maxtor SATAII, 1x 400GB Hitachi SATAII
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 1060 3GB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 20" TFT
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Cable
    I'd inspect the package when it arrives. If opened, or opened since it left...Adamsham ...I'd reject it (i.e. if the boxes show signs of one set of packing tape having been opened and just another slapped over the top, or show signs of cut labels or anything like that), then reject it on the spot. If it shows other signs of damage or rough handling, reject it on the spot. If it looks like it's been neither opened nor damaged, I'd rather just accept it, and then make...Adamsham...sort out anything that's wrong with it, if there isanything.

Thanks
    • Allen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VIII Gene
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 6600K
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 8GB Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4-3000
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 950 PRO NVMe M.2 (OS) + 2 x 512GB Samsung 960 EVO in RAID 0 (Games)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC
      • PSU:
      • XFX P1-650X-NLG9 XXX 650W Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Node 804
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" BenQ XL2730Z + 23" Dell U2311H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mbps
    Quote Originally Posted by nichomach
    Adamsham
    Yeah, I thought that was pretty good too!

Thanks
    The manufacturer, lets call them...say...Adamsham
    lol...think I can guess then...
    Twigman

Registered+
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PrivatePyle
    My cousins fairly high up in Adamsham Did I say my cousin lives in Evesham? Nice town

You want me to pass on advice about using a decent courier service?
    Could be be worthwhile mate but they do seem to be aware that they have courier problems (no sh*t? lol). They are only as good as their weakest link - and using the missing link for their deliveries will only hurt them. This machine may well get returned now and the sale go elsewhere. I spoke to Mesh today and they assure me that they can get me the same machine, even down to the same monitor, for a slightly better price AND actually send it to me instead of some address selected at random from the phone book. That last part is actually quite an important part of the process lol.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nichomach
    I'd inspect the package when it arrives. If opened, or opened since it left...Adamsham ...I'd reject it (i.e. if the boxes show signs of one set of packing tape having been opened and just another slapped over the top, or show signs of cut labels or anything like that), then reject it on the spot. If it shows other signs of damage or rough handling, reject it on the spot. If it looks like it's been neither opened nor damaged, I'd rather just accept it, and then make...Adamsham...sort out anything that's wrong with it, if there isanything.
    Good advice mate - and I will follow it. However, I suspect they'll take it back to Adamsham to inspect it before resending and so they may just rebox it. But it will certainly get a thorough once over from me if I decide to keep it. To be honest right now I'm kind of tempted to just cancel and re-order with Mesh, unless Adamsham are ok with me keeping this one till they send out a replacement as described above.

Thanks
    OK first of all you can call them Evesham

Secondly, the last pre-built PC I had was from them, and their support and customer backup was first class, I couldn't fault it.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Caged
    OK first of all you can call them Evesham
    Damn - how did you guys crack the code so quickly You all from Bletchley Park?

Quote Originally Posted by Caged
    Secondly, the last pre-built PC I had was from them, and their support and customer backup was first class, I couldn't fault it.
    I'm not giving the company a hard time...it's just that I'm suspicious of accepting a machine that has been God knows where all weekend. They wont know what treatment it's had and nor will I...other than their poor choice of courier I don't have a problem with them and hope that it remains that way. But as for that particular machine that's had a sojourn at ??, well I'm not so sure I want it...

Thanks
    Just inspect the box. If it looks like it's been kicked around reject it, otherwise you don't have much to lose, like you say, it's under warranty.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Well it arrived today and the box the speakers were in was unopened as it still had Creative's packing tape sealed around it. However, the monitor box and the base unit box had both been opened. The base unit had been re-taped with brown packing tape but the monitor box was just sealed with its tuck-down flap.

I rang the company to which it had been incorrectly delivered and they informed me that the machine had been opened, plugged in and set up before they realised it wasn't theirs (they also had a machine from Evesham on order).

Hence, I called Evesham and asked for a replacement machine. At first they offered to send an engineer round to install the machine and sort out any problems. However, I requested a brand new machine which I think I was entitled to do. They apologised and said they'll have a new one built and shipped out to me, which is fair enough. I'll keep the speakers as they are unoponed but will require a new monitor and base unit.

In all fairness to Evesham they have to agreed to replace the machine and the new one should be with me in about a fortnight (probably longer though 'cos the last one was delayed due to the lack of X800XT's).

So they screwed up but are trying to put it right, which is all you can ask from a company. Hence, so far I'm hapy enough with Evesham, despite having wasted a day off when the machine didn't arrive, and despite not having yet received what I ordered. These things happen I guess.

Notable that Evesham's Cutomer Services have in their employ a young lady with the sexiest voice this side of Mariella Frostrup. I bet she gets called in as a troubleshooter to calm the most irked customers
    Last edited by BigLad; 14-09-2004 at 12:02 PM.

Thread Information