Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Is the EVGA 500W BQ PSU really that bad?

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Is the EVGA 500W BQ PSU really that bad?

    I don't plan on overclocking, I am currently using a SFX SilverStone 450W PSU but I want to get a new case (it supports ATX PSUs). I thought about the SFX-ATX adaptor, but I have been starting to notice some coil whine when I first boot my PC (stays for a few minutes) so I considered looking at new PSUs (my PSU is probably on really high load during gaming anyway since I'm using a 970). I saw the BQ series because they looked decent (semi-mod for £50) but many have been saying that it is terrible and I should get the CXM 550W from Corsair instead. Is it that bad?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Third Foundation
    Posts
    916
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    99 times in 91 posts

    Re: Is the EVGA 500W BQ PSU really that bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by mj19 View Post
    (my PSU is probably on really high load during gaming anyway since I'm using a 970).
    The GTX 970 draws about 160W while gaming, so with a non-overclocked CPU I wouldn't be surprised if you never even hit 50% load.

    Quote Originally Posted by mj19 View Post
    I saw the BQ series because they looked decent (semi-mod for £50) but many have been saying that it is terrible and I should get the CXM 550W from Corsair instead. Is it that bad?
    I couldn't see any actual tests of the 500W unit but a lot of people are prone to exaggerate when it comes to PSUs. There could be something better for the price, but it's very unlikely for the unit to be outright terrible in the sense that it doesn't meet the ATX spec and so on.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: Is the EVGA 500W BQ PSU really that bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by EndlessWaves View Post
    The GTX 970 draws about 160W while gaming, so with a non-overclocked CPU I wouldn't be surprised if you never even hit 50% load.



    I couldn't see any actual tests of the 500W unit but a lot of people are prone to exaggerate when it comes to PSUs. There could be something better for the price, but it's very unlikely for the unit to be outright terrible in the sense that it doesn't meet the ATX spec and so on.
    Thanks, well in that case I will just get the PSU converter instead of getting a whole new PSU. I can live with some coil whine if my new case reduces noise

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •