Thread: Open University

Thanks

Open University

Hi, I have recently been sent on a load of courses by my employer so that they gain certain supplier accreditation. All of this learning has given me a taste for it and so I have been considering further education such as Open University.

Has anyone else done anything like this or even better had any experience with Open University? Are the degree courses considered as valid as those taken at a physical university?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Open University

Personally I think degrees done at the university give you something you cant get from online/distance
    ones. But if you dont have one then why not.

How about doing an online one from one of the big unis. Do UCL cambridge and the like do any?

Thanks

The Open University is very well-regarded, both in Britain and internationally. There are many bricks-and-mortar universities that are envious of its reputation.

Thanks

I've studied with the Open University and they're great in my opinion. The modules are very well laid out, and you can contact your tutor any time you want. Both my parents are currently studying for degrees in psychology with the Open University and they're addicted to it (especially seeing as though they've been out of education for 30 years).

To be fair, if you want to work and learn at the same time then it's totally worth it. Bear in mind it'll take about 5-6 years to get a degree though.

MKA
    Registered+
    Thanks
    • MKA's system
      • Motherboard:
      • M4A79T DELUXE
      • CPU:
      • AMD Athlon - X4 965
      • Memory:
      • CORSAIR DDR3 2GB - PC3-10700H (667MHz) X2
      • Storage:
      • 1.Maxtor-160GB 2.Samsung-500GB, SAMSUNG 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • xfx 7900 gtx
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620W
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • WINDOWS 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • DELL 17INCH

i completed the final year of my degree at the open university and found it miles better than the uni i initially went to. the support is first class and fits around your needs. i would also agree with previous posters who said that the courses are very well laid out. everything you need is supplied, once you register you have access to entire databases worth of content, periodicals/articles/essays etc. and tutor support was provided via phone, email or actual 1-2-1 contact.

my time studying with them was so good infact i went back and completed two short courses on astronomy, a ahobby of mine. equally excellent. i`d recommend the open university to anyone, i will hopefully be taking my third short course in november.

if you are happy with part time study and the no campus environment, then the open university is excellent IMHO.

Thanks

Given the costs associated with going to a 'traditional' Uni these days, an OU course might well be a better bet - their degrees are well regarded, as employers recognise that someone with an OU degree is well-motivated. Furthermore, if you only work part-time, you can do an OU degree in 3 years (although you would have to work pretty hard at it!) so you could end up financially much better off than doing a traditional degree and leaving with a big debt - and you'll also have 3 years work experience to put on your CV!
    Don't underestimate the amount of time an OU course needs - a 30 point course will need 6 - 8 hours a week, and studying after a days work can be demanding, so think carefully before committing your cash.
    Best news is that, if you don't already have a degree and are unemployed, you may be able to get your course free of charge - better use of your time than watching daytime TV!!

Thread Information