Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: what are your thoughts on teenage pregnancy?

Ex-PC enthusiast
    Thanks
    No problem GreenPiggy I know it is probably extremely obvious but I read the Graudian every morning, for articles just like this one
    The Cow by Ogden Nash
    The cow is of the bovine ilk;
    One end is moo, the other, milk.

Tumble's Rear Gunner
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenPiggy
    Abstinence
    Excuse my innocence or rather my ignorance, but.... whats the above?
    Last edited by lynni; 21-05-2004 at 04:49 PM.

South Barrule from Cringle Plantation (with a Landy )

Thanks
    Abstinence - refraining from sex. Not having it is the safest form of behaviour.

With all due respect, that article, whilst informative on certain issues, is hardly honest.

You would hardly argue that condoms are ineffective if people failed to use them. You would look at how to make the teaching more effective, so that more people use them, and use them consistently.

Perhaps there are issues with how abstinence is taught - nevertheless - it is the best approach, in terms of safety of method, and value for life.

What's more, the european cultures are different to British, and certainly American ones. The mindsets and attitudes are different, and I think it's fair that that is a substantial point to factor in.
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Ex-PC enthusiast
    Thanks
    Is "Silver Ring Thing" a good idea or not?
    The Cow by Ogden Nash

Oh no!I've re-dorkalated! Jiff Lemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    My best mate was a father at 16 (his girfriend was 17). He was married at 18, and had 3 kids before the age of 21. At 24 he had the snip.

He's now approaching 30 and they're still one big happy family.

It CAN work, but I'd say he's an exception to the rule.

Abstinence? Will work for some, but not for the majority. Guess growing up in the 80's wasn't too bad a thing - AIDS was all over the news, so anyone with a brain cell 'Wrapped up'.

To go off at a Tangent a little, my neice is nearly 16. Now since the age of about 12, she's always been allowed to have a glass of wine with her sunday dinner if she wants. Sometimes she does, sometimes she doesn't. But because we haven't turned alchohol into some forbidden fruit, we don't find her hanging round street corners with a bunch of girls hogging a bottle of white lightning.

Education the only way to go - teach kids about the wonders of an STD.

Thanks
    I know of one excellent parent. My mates sister. She wanted a kid, she had one with her boyfriend and the kid is the center of attention 24/7. Her dream was to have a kid, she had one, she loves it. The kid is having a great life. Also that same kids grandmother was an actress in a lilt advert. Remember the one where the two grannies run through the walls? Yeh that one lol

On the sex side of things, fortunately for me i use my hormones at the gym and can happily refrain from it for as long as i want. Actually i did it once with an ex over 2 years ago and haven't done it since. I must just have a lack of hormones or something.

Also, here in guernsey there are a stupid amount of teenage prenancies. Being so isolated i guess they get bored and just 'do it' (copyright nike). I've got a few 'mates' who are 16 with a kid. I also know of successful teenage prenancies.

But yeh, most of them are what as known over here as 'boetians' (formally a rough estate 'the boet' where the rough people lived). Basically, they're 16, they have a kid and they've slept with 10 guys or so. And no, i'm not joking, that's the state of it.

But in a LOT of cases i've seen happy go well ones too. Fortunately my mother brought me up just right so i know everything i need to know about the adult world. Sex is a highly debated subject and i feel i'll lay the burden on me when i'm older and more responsible so for now i'll stick to the internet.

Thanks
    That's an excellent article Blub2k, cheers. Here's the best bit:

Unicef's explanation is pretty unequivocal. Sweden, for example, radically changed its sex education policies in 1975. "Recommendations of abstinence and sex only within marriage were dropped, contraceptive education was made explicit, and a nationwide network of youth clinics was established specifically to provide confidential contraceptive advice and free contraceptives ... Over the next two decades, Sweden saw its teenage birth rate fall by 80 per cent." Sexually transmitted diseases, in contrast to the rising rates in the UK and the US, declined by 40% in the 1990s.
    Quote Originally Posted by Galant
    With all due respect, that article, whilst informative on certain issues, is hardly honest.
    What, specifically, is dishonest about it?

You would hardly argue that condoms are ineffective if people failed to use them. You would look at how to make the teaching more effective, so that more people use them, and use them consistently.
    That's pretty much the point. Abstinence training doesn't teach teenagers how to get and use contraceptives. Hence, when they 'fall off the wagon' as a lot of them will, they're a third less likely to use protection.

Perhaps there are issues with how abstinence is taught - nevertheless - it is the best approach, in terms of safety of method, and value for life.
    The statistics say different, unfortunately. With respect to value for life, I guess that in itself teenage pregnancy is not automatically a bad thing, although teenage mothers are far more likely to live in poverty, become alcoholics or drug addicts etc. However, condoms also protect against STDs, and if you value life you'd be better off teaching people how to avoid STDs, IMHO.

What's more, the european cultures are different to British, and certainly American ones. The mindsets and attitudes are different, and I think it's fair that that is a substantial point to factor in.
    Yep, that's the problem. We need to adopt a more European mindset.

Rich :¬)

Ex-PC enthusiast
    Thanks
    What annoys me is misinformation being spread by the church to further their agenda, people have sex, it is not Sinful, whatever that means, it is the purpose of life, anyone who has missed this point is not to be taken seriously.
    Bush sends out aid to Africa, but insists that contraception not be promoted, very sensible in countries where the AIDS rates are going through the roof, dont you think? So to preserve this so-called christian idea of abstinence lots of people get insufficient or incomplete information on contraception plus the blatant lie that condoms do not help with preventing STD transmission, all in the name of god, my ****in big fat hairy arse that is gods will and it is something only believed/promoted by people with a puritan head in the sand agenda.
    What god is so out of touch that he is unrealistic? What god knows everything yet is so ignorant?

Statistics speak against your ideas Galant and still you have nothing to back up your view point that holds any water only diktat from the church, well if it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling then believe it.

Silver Ring thing, my arse.
    The Cow by Ogden Nash

Tumble's Rear Gunner
    Thanks
    we saw an 18 year old girl on monday in baby clinic.... a HUUUUUUUGE love bite on her neck, came in with her boyfriend (not the babies father) split with him that night and got back together with the babies father and then the next day split with him and got back with the other guy!!!

Apparently she is haveing the injection, but who say's how long it will be before she is 'up the duff' again?

Thanks
    i was told all about the realms of sex when i was in year six (11 years old)
    i didnt realy understand even then that it was for enjoyment
    but what i did understand was that having a baby is a really serious thing to take on, that definitly got into me.
    even this morning some girls from my school were reading up on contraception, what a coincedence
    im now 14 years old
    a few people in my year have had sex (with protection) but they kinda get teased bout it, so no wants to have it or have it and admit to it in our year which i guess is a good thing...kinda reverse peer pressure
    i no i prolly wont have sex for a couple of years at least
    and im definitly not goin to have a baby that for years yet.
    i just dont understand why people want them at this age anyway, the next like 10 years or so are gonna be the best years of my life and i dont want some baby ruining them for me

also i dont understand why people dont want abortions surely if the baby was an accident then as soon as they know that they are pregnant they should get an abortion, i mean the baby or even embryo cant feel anything and your not the one killing it, the doctor is?

Pete

Tumble's Rear Gunner
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    i was told all about the realms of sex when i was in year six (11 years old)
    i didnt realy understand even then that it was for enjoyment
    but what i did understand was that having a baby is a really serious thing to take on, that definitly got into me.
    even this morning some girls from my school were reading up on contraception, what a coincedence
    im now 14 years old
    a few people in my year have had sex (with protection) but they kinda get teased bout it, so no wants to have it or have it and admit to it in our year which i guess is a good thing...kinda reverse peer pressure
    i no i prolly wont have sex for a couple of years at least
    and im definitly not goin to have a baby that for years yet.
    i just dont understand why people want them at this age anyway, the next like 10 years or so are gonna be the best years of my life and i dont want some baby ruining them for me

Pete

Yeah exactly.... im of a age where i wouldnt be considered to be a teenage mum now, but im still to young for it

That baby has mapped out their lifes for the next 10-20 years - uni, years out, travelling probably arent gonna happen and thats a bloody shame and an awful lot to miss out on

Thanks
    Erm, okay, so, first of all I don't remember mentioning God or the church or anything like that in anything I've said here. Nice of you to bring it up...why?

Statistics - I think it's pretty conclusive that people who don't have sex don't get pregnant, they don't get STD's, and they avoid a whole lot of angst and possible self-esteem issues brought on by early sexual activity.

As for that report. As I've said before, if we were talking about condoms or some other contraceptive it would be argued that, since condoms work, but people don't seem to be using them, or using them consistently, what we need to do if work to improve education, give more of it, teach these kids what to do. How's that different to abstinence?

Abstinence works better than any other method. It holds far more benefits and I think most would agree is the best way to go - in principle if nothing else. ??

Surely then it is beneficial to work towards further education, better methods etc. ?

I think one of the reasons it's so hard for kids and for abstinence is because of the other messages they're getting fed. All the pop guff and movies which present scenarios and idols to imitate - "this is the way life is supposed to be", "this is how you enjoy yourself, how you make life exciting", but the fact is, no-one, or very, very few people can live that lifestyle. So you have all these kids with values and ideals which just don't cut it in the real world or hurt, emotions, diseases, responsibilities, and hard work.

That is the reason kids go out ready to have sex or whatever, and with all the glitz and glamour of those messages, it takes a lot to compete with an alternate message.

Using condoms etc. and the 'safer sex' message, offers a form of damage control, to try to minimise the consequences or what is most often a destructive lifestyle. Abstinence is a whole different way of viewing things - it get's to the root of the problem, not just combatting the symptoms.

And that's not just a 'religious' message.
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Thanks
    What are my thoughts!

Love to! I just wish I could find a girl who'd have sex with me

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by myth
    What are my thoughts!

Love to! I just wish I could find a girl who'd have sex with me
    Best reply yet good luck
    Knight 1: We are now no longer the Knights who say Ni.
    Knight 2: NI.
    Other Knights: Shh...
    Knight 1: We are now the Knights who say..."Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-PTANG. Zoom-Boing. Z'nourrwringmm.

Thanks
    haha im sure you will mate lol
    if worst comes to worst, how much spare cash you got?
    nah kidding
    Pete

G4Z
    Thanks
    • G4Z's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA 965P-DS3
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4gb DDR2 5300
      • Storage:
      • 2.5Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte HD4870 512mb
      • PSU:
      • Tagan 470W
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Tsunami Dream
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual Acer 24" TFT's
      • Internet:
      • 16mb sky ADSL2
    lol, very good post that myth.

when I think back to when I was like 14 or 15 and this debate was raging back then as well, at the time I seem to remember having the exact same view on it as you.

In all honesty It doesnt matter how much we tell them not to do it, they WILL want to do it anyway, they are hormone ravaged teenagers, when I think back to how horny I was then... doesnt bear thinking about. I assume its the same for every1 so I dont see how telling kids not to have sex when all their instincts are telling them they want to is just pointless. IMO sex education should start younger, we shouldnt have any taboos and we should encourage kids to at allways use protection and be wary of all the consequences sex can have.
    HEXUS FOLDING TEAM It's EASY

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information