Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you think UK should join the Euro?

One skin, two skin......
    Thanks
    Originally posted by sexeh
    not at all. it's a rip off. we should keep control and not follow suit.
    Do we have control now? I don't have any control, you most likely don't have any control, unless your name is Gordon Brown. Why do we insist on thinking that we control anything?

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Blub2k
    Only if they behave themselves which unfortunately the Brits are not too good at, I think that after Blairs recent antics that the UK should actually be thrown out of the EU.
    Which particular antics do you mean?

Mind that bus, what bus? Splat!
    Thanks
    • Gr44's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K Premium
      • CPU:
      • C2Q Q6600 G0 @ 3.68Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4x1GB Crucial Ballistix PC8500+
      • Storage:
      • 2x 500GB Spinpoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • Enermax 720w
      • Case:
      • Lian Li G70
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x Dell 2408's
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100MB
    i think we should, just not yet, goverment is trying to slow down the boom cycle if that works it could be much more effective, giving us a steady growth of income rather than fluxuations

Thanks
    • Gr44's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K Premium
      • CPU:
      • C2Q Q6600 G0 @ 3.68Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 2x 500GB Spinpoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • Enermax 720w
      • Case:
      • Lian Li G70
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x Dell 2408's
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100MB
    Originally posted by Blub2k
    Only if they behave themselves which unfortunately the Brits are not too good at, I think that after Blairs recent antics that the UK should actually be thrown out of the EU.
    lol Britan is one of the strongest countrys in the EU, doubt we would be thrown out without a much stronger reason.

and i assume you mean the war with Iraq?

Ex-PC enthusiast
    Thanks
    Yes the attempt to split Europe down the middle (divide and conquer strike a note with anyone here?) to cement US hegemony would be what I was specifically talking about, EU is not about the UK and if they dont want to play by the rules of the group then they should be turfed out. Get with the Euro as currency and get back to democratic principles.
    The Cow by Ogden Nash
    The cow is of the bovine ilk;
    One end is moo, the other, milk.

Thanks
    • Gr44's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K Premium
      • CPU:
      • C2Q Q6600 G0 @ 3.68Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 2x 500GB Spinpoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • Enermax 720w
      • Case:
      • Lian Li G70
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x Dell 2408's
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100MB
    aye but like i said, it aint gonna happen unless something big happens, the UK is a big part of the EU, fact. it may not be right/fair, but it is still a fact

Thanks
    yes.... since Uk is part of europe. no point to be isolated.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks
    Originally posted by pikacu
    yes.... since Uk is part of europe. no point to be isolated.
    That's why all those lemmings jump of a cliff to their deaths.

Me, I'd be the lemming standing at the top of the cliff looking down thinking "idiots"

There are plenty of good reasons for being 'isolated' in this particular issue.

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks
    cool, if we get thrown out of the EU then that means we don't have to adhere to all those bloody stupid eu regulations. they are just so petty and idiotic it most of them really hold no value other than to f-off everyone in the country...
    also, when the rest of europe switched to the euro businesses jumped on the chance to increase all their prices - and I'v no doubt that if we changed here it would be exactly the same...everything would be expensive.
    on the plus side it would be an easy way to see how much we really do pay for a car in this country compared to europe etc. but thats just a minor point.

I think britain should stay away from the eu, euro and everything else. and don't get me started on those damn illegal [or otherwise] immigrants...
    Powered by Marmite and Wet Dog
    Light Over Water Photography

Thanks
    ...and the remainder of the EU will put up their import tariffs of goods and services imported from the UK and this country will ended up in economic hell...

Good thinking, buddy.
    Caution: Cape does not enable user to fly. - Batman costume warning label (Rolfe, John & Troob, Peter, Monkey Business (Swinging Through the Wall Street Jungle), 2000)

Ex-PC enthusiast
    Thanks
    Aaaaah Spike, now dont ruin illusions, why should reality get in the way of a good misinformed rant?

Those asylum seekers ......I tell ya................

G4Z
    Thanks
    • G4Z's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA 965P-DS3
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4gb DDR2 5300
      • Storage:
      • 2.5Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte HD4870 512mb
      • PSU:
      • Tagan 470W
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Tsunami Dream
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual Acer 24" TFT's
      • Internet:
      • 16mb sky ADSL2
    lol, I must admit my knowlege of economics is limited (ok practically non-existant) but I think we should be joining the euro, I think the timing is probably one of the major issues. In a purly ideological sense I want the UK to part of europe, I dont think we should have a veto either because with 25+ member states what we will have is an unworkable system. I think in the UK we like to think we are more important than we nececcarily are and we should be prepared to lose out in the short term to gain in the long term. At the moment europe is almost in a position to compete with the USA and I think we should, if only to make it harder for the US to implement some of its more dubious economic policys (bannana anyone...?) that affect developing countries.
    HEXUS FOLDING TEAM It's EASY

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks
    Whether to be part of Europe or not is more of a political decision than an economic one, though. After all, the original EEC was a TRADE community which would allow Europe to compete with the USA, or anybody else. We don't need common borders, common legal frameworks or a common army (etc) for that. What is going on with Europe now is not about competition, but about political power.

I DON'T, personally, want to be part of a United States of Europe, but that is largely a political preference on my part rather than an economic one. My objections to the Euro are two-fold :-

1) Political
    2) Economic.

The economic arguments are certainly not 100% clear cut either in favour or against. There are points for and points against Euro membership, but I believe they balance out significantly against. Then there are the political arguments, in that Euro membership is without doubt a mandatory step in the formation of a Untied States of Europe, and since I'm against that, AND I believe the economic case for joining the Euro is VERY far from made, I have to vote NO to joining the Euro.

Oh, and I don't pretend to be the world's greatest authority on Economics either - but I do have a Degree in it

Goat Boy
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Saracen
    Whether to be part of Europe or not is more of a political decision than an economic one, though. After all, the original EEC was a TRADE community which would allow Europe to compete with the USA, or anybody else. We don't need common borders, common legal frameworks or a common army (etc) for that. What is going on with Europe now is not about competition, but about political power.

I DON'T, personally, want to be part of a United States of Europe, but that is largely a political preference on my part rather than an economic one. My objections to the Euro are two-fold :-

1) Political
    2) Economic.

The economic arguments are certainly not 100% clear cut either in favour or against. There are points for and points against Euro membership, but I believe they balance out significantly against. Then there are the political arguments, in that Euro membership is without doubt a mandatory step in the formation of a Untied States of Europe, and since I'm against that, AND I believe the economic case for joining the Euro is VERY far from made, I have to vote NO to joining the Euro.

Oh, and I don't pretend to be the world's greatest authority on Economics either - but I do have a Degree in it
    Why are you against a United States of Europe?
    "All our beliefs are being challenged now, and rightfully so, they're stupid." - Bill Hicks

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks
    Originally posted by DaBeeeenster
    Why are you against a United States of Europe?
    A variety of reasons, but among them is that I don't like mass centralisation of power. Too many decisions are already taken by national MP's living in the Ivory Tower of Westminster, when they could and should be taken at local level, and I see things only getting worse if we add ANOTHER layer of beaurocracy on top of that, and stick it in Brussels.

Besides which, let them sort out the total farce that the current EU administration is and get THAT working right before they try to grab even more power.

Oh, and add to that the fact that the arrogant <bleeps> that have taken us into the current degree of Federalised Europe have yet to actually bother to ask the British people if they WANTED to go in! This is not a party-political point - both major parties have conspired in this. MP's are supposed to represent the wishes of their constituents, not decide (in their arrogance) what is best for us and ram it down our throats whether we want it or not.

Do the British people, as a whole, want to be part of a United States of Europe?

I don't know (and as we haven't had a referendum on it, neither does anybody else), but personally I'm of the opinion that the answer is "No". This seems to be supported by most opinion polls (which, I grant, is far from a perfect way to assess the wishes of the people, but in the absence of a referendum, it's the best we've got), but the clincher for me is that we HAVEN'T had a referendum - as I believe if any government in recent years had thought they could get a "Yes" vote on such a referendum, they'd have held one!

Thanks
    I, personally, don't have much of an opinion about an united states of Europe. However, I have to agree that there is already excessive layers of control and at the same time excessive centralization of power.
    Caution: Cape does not enable user to fly. - Batman costume warning label (Rolfe, John & Troob, Peter, Monkey Business (Swinging Through the Wall Street Jungle), 2000)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information