Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SAMSUNG M87 1080P by Nooh Saleh

Thanks

SAMSUNG M87 1080P by Nooh Saleh

M87 Samsung

Today I have a Samsung M87 from the M series and model no.LE40M87BDX to review.

I was going to buy the Dell 30" monitor instead of this but then later added the pro's and con,s and this was a better and a wiser option.

Supply and demand curve meant I got more for my money.Also the fact I got overall more viewable area for my money. I saw the situation in gaming as of now and that dx10 gaming at 2500 resolution is far away. So as for now 1920 by 1440 is as good as it gets.

This model boasts of a lot of good features and I have to say it doesn't let any one of them features down in anyway.

It has great contrast 15000:1 , great resolution 1080p (progressive and not interlaced ), great Gamut of 127%.

Before I saw you any pictures of the TV I would first like to show you how things were before . This will give you a better picture of how I perceived the new HDTV. So here it goes

As you can see very messy . That was all the CRT's fault

You can see that the Gigawork's 7.1's are set up in a wrong way . I had purchased something which I have no space for. I liked the old CRT but lately it was hurting my eyes and blurring the image when I had to change the contrast settings for watching HD movies. Also the HD movies I watched limited the area to which I had to watch the movies at and which was 150mm x 400mm on 16:9 format And now I have 500mm by 950mm on a 16:10 format. I could stretch them to the window but that meant I lost the quality and was watching the movies which were not meant to be watched in that way.

Items used for the review

CPU - E6600 @3.4ghz 24/7
    Motherboard - EVGA 680i
    RAM - Supertalant cas 4 DDR 800
    G.P.U. - 8800GTX XFX XXX
    Soundcard - XFI Elite Pro with Console
    Speakers - 7.1 Gigaworks
    PSU - 900 watt tagan
    H.S.F. - Scythe Infinity
    HDD - total of 2300gb
    Case - Xclio A380
    Monitor - 21" CRT 2056 by 1520 res and later on the M87 HDTV
    Keyboard - Zboard
    Mouse - Razer Diamondback
    Mat - Razer exactmat
    OS - Vista Ultimate

Now for some pictures

You can see from this picture the size the box is in which it came in.

Birds eye view of the box opened.

Now this is one thing I liked about the packing. You see the white thing in the middle , well what it does is you have to push it forward and the box opens up and you end up with this .

This makes the unpacking so much easier. Its the first time I saw something like this and I was very pleased. Cheap thrills .....not , cost me a arm and a leg ,but it was worth it.

Its all about the connections you have

On the back

The connections on this HDTV are great . It has 3 HDMI ports(2@back ,1@side) which is very practical for the future . Has a PC VGA with a optical(SPDIF) , Digital Audio out, Component in , Antenna with Digital Video Broadcasting , AV and on the side it has.............

Sorry about the Picture here. Anyway , it has a RGB , S-Video , HDMI , even 1 connection for your headphones.

There is this other one on the end which looks like something which you would use a cartridge like input , very similar to a PCI type of connection. Have to do more research on it.

After all that faffing about comes the HDTV. Finally.......

The screen with the sticker and a 19" TFT.

The screen without the stickers , added with the 19" and the flash left on .

The screen in action

These are the shot I took that made me proud of purchasing this specific models.This is the second HDTV in our Family household and the other one is a Bravia 52" 1080i and honestly it does not have quality like this.

this makes everything worth it.

Whoops, how did get there?

Nice

Without the lights.............

And one with .

And one whilst gaming.

The Prostitutes and the Constitutes of the HDTV , in short the PRO's and CON's

PRO's

Great Contrast , doesn't look pixelated as the Bravia doe's. 15,000:1
    The black it boasts about is BLACK and I mean that . Not Grey Black.
    Loads on connections (input,output),we all need good connections.Even 3 HDMI's , thats definitely a bonus , well futureproof.
    1080P which is progressive and not interlaced.
    Price is good @£999.95 with 5 years warranty cover.
    Gaming is great and no longer does high resolution mean non readable text.
    Has loads of features which I still need to check of which I think will add up to being a Pro and not a con.
    Great color and a super clear panel.

CON's
    Honestly I cant think of any , maybe could do with a HDMI cable of some sort though , that would be a bonus. Other than that cool

9.92/10

if it had a few more cables then 10/10

HEXUS READERS PLATINUM AWARD
    Last edited by nope; 19-07-2007 at 12:44 PM.

Thanks
    • unreal's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel iMac 20" & Macbook
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 2.0Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4gb DDR667
      • Storage:
      • 1TB 7200 Int + 1.5Tb Ext
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi Radeon 2400XT
      • PSU:
      • 95W or something?
      • Case:
      • Intel iMac 20" Aluminium
      • Operating System:
      • OSX Snow Leopard (Win 7 x64 on Macbook Bootcamp)
      • Monitor(s):
      • 20" @ 1680x1050 & 27" 1080p HDTV
      • Internet:
      • O2 10mb
    Whoa very nice review dude, screen is absolutely epic. Surely you can't use that as a screen replacement from that close though? Very lucky dude indeed though I'm planning to get a 32" one for Uni so thanks for some eye candy of opening the HDTV

LOL that's the cutest kid I've seen, but he has a reason to be that happy as he gets to watch a TV bigger than him D:.

Thanks
    Thanks Bro for the feedback.

Come to think of it now your right , to a child this does seem huge. He was helping me put it up , thats what he claimed . He is a lovely lad though never the less.

I am really happy with this investment. Remember it's a LCD and there are a lot of LCD's which are used as monitor , all I did was take it one more step further. Great TV to have two feet away from you and great with gaming.

At the moment I am having problem taking it past 1600 by 1200 resolution.

The reason for that is the Driver support from Nvidia and hopefully it should be sorted with the next driver.Also the fact I am using Vista ultimate doesn't help in anyway.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Nice review - I've been looking at this tv for some time now - but keep telling myself it needs to get to £800 before I can really justify it; although strangely that figure seems to be sort of rising to £850!!

There's been some discussion in various places about a 100Hz version of this, but I've struggled to get any info on it. I think it may be the N version but I'm not too sure.

Where did you get yours from with the 5 year warranty (JL's?)

Thanks
    http://www.teleland.co.uk/item--Sams...E40M87BDX.html

100hetz would do nicely if I knew I could have bought a model like that. But to tell you the truth its enough for 1080p res so not that much gain . It's really easy on the eyes too.

I love it too bits.

Thanks

Shot with Canon PowerShot A85 at 2007-07-22

This photo is after using a HDMI lead.

Thanks
    • unreal's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel iMac 20" & Macbook
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 2.0Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4gb DDR667
      • Storage:
      • 1TB 7200 Int + 1.5Tb Ext
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi Radeon 2400XT
      • PSU:
      • 95W or something?
      • Case:
      • Intel iMac 20" Aluminium
      • Operating System:
      • OSX Snow Leopard (Win 7 x64 on Macbook Bootcamp)
      • Monitor(s):
      • 20" @ 1680x1050 & 27" 1080p HDTV
      • Internet:
      • O2 10mb
    I was about to say with your earlier statement of pushing it past 1600x1200, I heard that some HDTV's have a max resolution under a VGA cable as opposed to something far more better like a HDMI cable like you posted above?

Thanks
    Is that delivered too? I've been looking at exactly the same model for a few weeks now...

Very comprehensive review here: http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Samsung-LE40M86BD/ - check the recommended settings, I think theres a link to them burried in the forum thread for it here - http://forums.hdtvtest.co.uk/index.php?topic=2.0)

(Yes, I am aware that my link is the M86, not 87... According to Samsung, LE40M86BD and LE40M87BD both have the same technical specifications… the only thing different is the styling: the M86 sports a black/blue strip under the panel; and the M87, a silver strip.)

£856 - http://www.beyondtelevision.co.uk/th...uct.asp?ID=861

Thanks
    Yup your right no difference other than the look

@unreal , yeah its when i got one HDMII realized the limitations of a VGA cable.

Thanks

Re: SAMSUNG M87 1080P by Nooh Saleh

Hey all, I found this thread while trying to google my problem.

Basically, I was thinking of getting a new monitor for my PC that I am building. However, I thought it would be a better idea to get a HDTV, so I can use this for my PS3 as well. However, HDTV's that are 26" and 32" don't support 1080p only 720, which make it pointless for PC, considering I am looking to play the games that are coming such as Crysis.

Anyway, I registered just to ask, if I buy one of those M87 37" 1080p, will I be able to change resolution in windows as well as in the games.

Currently, I can put my 17" monitor on 1280x1024...

Thanx for your help

PS: My graphics card will be 8800GTX. Although, I am not looking to play "PC games" using the 1080p. But, it would be nice, if you let me, what resolutions I will be looking forward to.

MurphmanL

Hmmm soo tempted by this set but it really does seem to be a extreme pot luck case at the moment of getting the correct firmware out of the box with this set :/
    Am seriously swayed towards the X3030 for hassle-free gaming over picture preference and connections on the samsung since I dont really want to have to lug the panel back and fourth to comet :/

Can anyone chip in with what firmware their tv is running / the tv serial number so i can have some hope of perhaps bagging myself one of these models that isn't bug-ridden.

I hear the 3:2 candece detection on this model is flawed / crippled would anyone care to explain how this will affect the enjoyment of my dvd watching? :S
    Oh, and some photos or opinions from xbox 360 gamers on this panel would also be appreciated

Cheers people

Thanks

the tv is really good and a better choice overall. Yes , there is some problems with some models with the firmware . After 10 days of use I fell into the same problems but still I would not have bought anything else other than this specific model .Samsung have really been good with the warranty so its all good I guess.

There are around 6 HDTV's in our family and this by far is the best one there is. You can use it with the xbox360 with 1080p (component cables) and your PS3 does look very nice on it.

Thanks

What are the problems are you having?

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU

I've had one of these for a while - they're the dogs basically. Just buy one.
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Thanks

^^ Can you answer my question please.

If I have this with a 8800GTX, what resolutions will I be able to chose in windows? The highest will be 1080p. Are there anything below that?

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU

Who me? Well from memory 720p/i and 1080i/p were all there, but lower res' are also possible (over HDMI).
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information