Thread: toshiba 36zp48

www.5lab.co.uk
    Thanks

toshiba 36zp48

rightoh, well someone better get this started i spose

couple of weeks ago my new tv arrived.. i'd had a 28" toshiba flat widescreen for a few years - 3 or so, and felt it was time for an upgrade. i already knew what i wanted before even researching the field.. toshiba's latest big pictureframe tv. i'd wanted the origional picture frame telly when it first came out (when i got my last telly - it was about £1800 then..) but couldnt afford it, so settled for spending £500 on my old one. i did research for a couple of months what my options were, and they were actually surprisingly limited. most tv manufacturers have stopped doing 36" crts - instead concentrating on plasma/lcd technology for their larger sets. this is a bit of a shame in my opinion - the very best lcd/plasma screens do have some benefits over crts (no geometry problems), but the very best still do not have the quality that the very best crts have. anyways, my choise was down to the toshiba, a cheapish pannasonic (which had been discontinued) and a sony that was a couple of hundred quid more. the sony is a very nice set, but few internet retailers had it - the toshiba was released at a whopping £1600 back in november, and since then has fallen to £800. an absolute steal of a price.. my other option was a 32" screen, or a plasma, but i felt cheap plasmas have shoddy quality i wouldnt be impressed with, and my living room is large enough for 32" not to satisfy me

the day the tv arrived, the first thing that struck me was the size/weight of the box. flippin massive. before i ordered i checked it could be delivered into my flat - the delivery guys turned up with it and refused to take it up the stairs to my flat.. something about insurance. i was in half a mind to tell them to take it back - this is a 13 STONE tv remember, but the promise of all that shiney kit in the box (it took 2 weeks to deliver, and i didnt want to wait another 2 for another retailer) meant i accepted delivery with it outside the block of flats. i had to 'roll' the box up the stairs to my front door, tv inside. the box wouldnt go thru the door so we (the gf and I) had to unpack it outside, on the landing. we then tried to carry it thru to the living room, but even 1/2 of it was too much for my missis to lift - fortunatly a friendly builder spotted us and gave me a hand carrying it thru to the living room.

the stand was easy enough to put up and looks pretty nice - the glass shelves make it look nice, and it looks 1-piece with the telly overall it took maybe 45 mins to build, at which point i/gf lugged the set onto it, lined it up and screwed it down. sweet.. now for the other bits. i decided to just wire up the dvd player to start with (more on that in a bit), with some shiney new cables care of audiovisualonline.co.uk - i had a nice ixos component video, and a matching coax digital audio lead, to transport the sound/picture to the telly. next was setting up the speakers - i'll go onto the sound later - but the tv basically comes with 4 satillites, the sub and the centre speaker are built in to the set to make up 5.1 - each speaker comes with 5M(!!!) of cable - generous enough for the largest of rooms - but not mine - in order to get the routing i wanted for the rear left speaker, i chopped a chunk off the front left and added it to the rear speaker cable, so the cable goes from the tv, all teh way round the room to the back left corner. i know all cables are meant to be the same length, but its worse the compromise imo

all cables plugged in i turn her on and play with the settings a little. not much to change, i put it on autosetting 2 (contrast 50, brightness 50 etc) and get on me way..

oooooh.. the picture is *amazing*.. compared to my old telly, which isnt exactly bad, the geometry is near perfect - very very slight convergance, maybe 1mm.. you cant notice it without a test pattern. the whole case itself is only 1" wider than my old 28"er, because of the neat packaging, so it doenst take up too much room.. the blacks have more depth to them, although if you sit up close you can see colour banding on cr*ppy dvds and some cable channels. there dont *appear* to be any 100hz artifacts though..

now for the next test.. progressive scan.. my new dvd player supports it, the telly supports it, and the cabling (progressive) supports it.. now to see what everyone is on about.. errrmm.. poo. its only running 50hz! quick mental check.. durrr, of course, its 100hz interlaced or 50 if you run prog scan. a good look at the picture and i really cant see much difference between the normal and prog scan, so i turn it off..

now for the sound - i used to run a ~100w all-in-one speaker/amp package.. that was nice and loud - i rarely used full umph. this new setup.. well the sound is just as clear.. clearer if anything.. the surround sound pans between the speakers soo smoothly, and the bass - despite only being 13w or something.. it is plenty loud enough for the other speakers, which are plenty loud enough for my reasonably large living room.. so very good..

all in all - i'll give it 9/10.. the performance is faultless, really, but i wish i'd realised about prog scan before splashing out on a new dvd player. but what can you do..? it'd be the same on any other telly.

hughlunnon@yahoo.com | I have sigs turned off..

Registered+
    Thanks
    Nice write-up and photos. Do you feel like you made the right choice after getting it all set up, choosing the CRT instead of a plasma?

www.5lab.co.uk
    Thanks
    yes. for the money you cant get a plasma that anything like reaches the quality of this set - you'd be looking at around 2-3 grand. i'm really likeing the built-in sound as well - the quality is very good, and its nice to have one remote and one on-screen display doing absolutely everything.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Thanks for the review 5lab

Where did you buy it from for £800? I'm interested in one at that price.

Regarding Prog scan... make sure you set your dvd to output in prog scan on the dvd player It is amazing!!! My sister has the zp 46 (the zp48s smaller brother) and I set it up for her... in prog scan there is no flicker truly exceptional picture in my view - best 36" out there!

www.5lab.co.uk
    Thanks
    i brought it from http://www.soundandvisiononline.com/ but loads of places have it at that price - put the model number into froogle etc

i have set the dvd player to progressive, but it still happens. my eyes are a lot more sensitive to flicker than most peoples (i can still see a bit @ 85hz on my monitor), so thats probably why i pick up on it on the prog mode on the telly. if you dont notice it then i'm envyous of you.. you get to see better quality prog scan

Registered+
    Thanks
    It's £839 there now - gone up £40! Will look at Froogle tho.

Are you using a Toshiba 240e? Via componant? If so there really should not be any flicker, or very minimal - at least compared to scart.

I can't remb now, but do you have to set the TV to use prog scan or does it switch autromatically depending upon the source?

www.5lab.co.uk
    Thanks
    i was using the 340e, now useing the 350e. you will get flicker, because if you think about it, if the tv is capable of scanning 1/2 the lines at 100hz, it cant be expected to scan all the lines at 100hz.. its simply a personal thing if you see it or not. i really did see it, so i've turned it off

Registered+
    Thanks
    Hmmmm it just sounds unusual :-/ the whole purpose of prog scan was to get rid of 'flicker' especially on vertical lines..

Both 340 and 350 are meant to be flicker free too.

So long as you are happy with the picture thats the main thing it's a brill TV nonetheless, plasma owners can eat their hearts out

www.5lab.co.uk
    Thanks
    ahh the progressive scan works in that it reduces the jitter, but the whole screen (not the picture) is visible to 'flicker' in my eyes in the same way a normal telly would

Registered+
    Thanks
    ah k know what you mean now

Flicker as in how 'stable' the pic is (bit like when your drop the Hz on a monitor), I didn't notice it when I saw the TV tho. (maybe reducing the contrast would help?).

I phoned Toshiba up today and asked them if a replacement model was due - they said the 36zp is now discontinued and replaced by the picture frame LCD tvs, and there won't be many 36zps left out there.

I'm not sure what to do now - might just hang on and see if/wait till they come down in price.. ?

Senior Trouble Maker muddyfox470's Avatar
    Thanks
    • muddyfox470's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit I-N73HD
      • CPU:
      • E4500
      • Memory:
      • 4Gb PC6400 Corsair ?
      • Storage:
      • 2 x Seagate 7200.12 500Gb and 1 x Hitachi 7k1000.b 750gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Powercolor 4850
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone SG-01e
      • Monitor(s):
      • Fujitsu D22W-1
      • Internet:
      • BT Home
    aww look at the poor little gamecube! (tis dwarfed)

tbf tho the tv doesnt look that deep which is good! (or is it just the angle of the pic?)

you better make sure you have supports under that floor, otherwise your neighbours underneath you may come in for a bit of a shock, once the floor has weakened a bit more!

IMHO CRTs offer the best picture quality, and Plasma and LCD has yet to mature to meet the quality standard set by CRTs

Did i mention that it doesnt look that bad at all! (it looks purdy)

Ian
    Mac fancier > white macbook base spec .................. CS: muddyfirebang

Thanks
    • badger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z68
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Corsair M4, 1TB Samsung F1, 1TB Hitachi
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus 560GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 620W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Stacker 830 Evolution
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WFP
    Just got mine...

It's nice. Heavy, but very nice. Great picture and sound is fantastic for built-in speakers.

Thread Information