Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upgrade recommendations please .......

Thanks
    • kill3rvill3's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x58 ud4
      • CPU:
      • core i7 920 @ 3.2ghz
      • Memory:
      • 6gb @ 1280mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1x 128gb SSD / 2 x 1tb Raptor
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus 6970 dcii
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • Antec 900 2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 3 x 19" Dell (Eyefinity) / 50" 1080p panasonic plasma
      • Internet:
      • 50mb BT Infinity

Re: Upgrade recommendations please .......

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    I'm sure you know, but you're looking for a 1366 skt compatible cooler - the one I linked is apparently 'optionally' compatible - that probably means it needs an adaptor that might come with it or might not - pop scan a query to double check. Otherwise the artic cooling freezer 13 pro (http://www.scan.co.uk/products/arcti...m2-am2plus-am3) definitely lists 1366 (and is a very easy install - no need to take your motherboard out).

Let us know how you get on
    Cheers Kalniel, yes i did notice that about being optionally compatible and it did put me off a little so thanks for the other suggestion - ill update things as i get them finished off

ZaO

Quote Originally Posted by kill3rvill3 View Post
    Thanks for this, the issue i have with the thought of getting another 6970 is the fact that its the Asus DCii model which takes up 3 slots, personally i dont think i would fit another one of these in and i dont think you can mix and match models can you ????

the 670 i have been looking at is the kfa2 gtx 670 ex oc which should, with a slight overclock bring it inline with most 680's - i am a bit unsure if i would actually see a huge increase in performance though ???

Cheers
    KV3
    Yeh you can mix any old 6970 with another. You can also get an unlocked 6950 and use that. You would see a big performance increase with a GTX 670 over a 6970 yeh. I'm gonna buy the Gigabyte Windforce x3 Gtx 670 this weekend hopefully. It has a nice cooler on it and has a good OC out of the box. 670's do pretty much perform on par with 680's when overclocked. An OC'd 680 will obviously change that though. Check the today only deals on scan when you're ready to buy. They had the one I wanted for £305 the other day but sadly I didn't have the cash at the time >_<

Drum & Bass Till I Die deejayburnout's Avatar
    Thanks
    • deejayburnout's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x470 Aorus Ultra Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 2600 at stock speeds ( for now)
      • Memory:
      • 2 x Corsair 8GB DDR4 Vengeance LPX 3000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Gigabyte 128GB M.2 PCIe x2 NVMe SSD, 120GB Kingston SV200, 2 x 1TB WD Drive, 2 x 2TB WD Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS ROG Strix RX 580 8G Gaming OC Edition
      • PSU:
      • OCZ 750 Watt
      • Case:
      • NZXT Noctis 450
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34UM65-P Ultrawide
      • Internet:
      • 72mb Down 19mb up - Vodafone
    If you are getting a cooler, defo get a hyper 212 evo.

Best cooling for the money and once you use 2 fans on it = awesome air cooling.
    Better to Burn out than Fade Away
    Check out my Youtube channel - Crispy Crisperson

Thanks
    • ladcrooks's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GIGABYTE EX58-UDR3
      • CPU:
      • i7920 @ 3.4ghz - NOCTUA SE1366 NH-U12P
      • Memory:
      • Patriot Viper 6GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte HD 7970 OC WindForce
      • PSU:
      • SEASONIC M12D 750W QUAD GFX
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-B10
      • Operating System:
      • win 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32'' LGTV 1080p

look at my spec! the old i7 920 is plenty, mine runs at 3.4 no prob with games! Get an hd7970 - better for the compute side and as well as playing games.

that i7 920 will keep you going another few years yet. - the best chip they brought out, its a classic!

ZaO

Quote Originally Posted by ladcrooks View Post
    look at my spec! the old i7 920 is plenty, mine runs at 3.4 no prob with games! Get an hd7970 - better for the compute side and as well as playing games.

that i7 920 will keep you going another few years yet. - the best chip they brought out, its a classic!
    7970 is better than what for playing games? I owned a 7970 and got rid of it for a Gtx 670. The Gtx 670 definitely performs better in all the games I've played and scores higher in benchmark tests. Crossfired 6970's will generally perform better in games that are optimized for crossfire to. From a gamers point of view the 7970 Is over priced imo.

Thanks
    • ladcrooks's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GIGABYTE EX58-UDR3
      • CPU:
      • i7920 @ 3.4ghz - NOCTUA SE1366 NH-U12P
      • Memory:
      • Patriot Viper 6GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte HD 7970 OC WindForce
      • PSU:
      • SEASONIC M12D 750W QUAD GFX
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-B10
      • Operating System:
      • win 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32'' LGTV 1080p

there is not much in it across the board, just feel the hd7970 is better value and plus he games and uses the comp for work as well.

not an amd or nivida fanboy - just using more logic, ok my logic! and since amd new drivers came things changed, and they will for either camp.

he also stated - ' My question is that my wonderful wife has cleard me some funds to do an upgrade. ' I think the hd7970 is more future proof.

Price wise they are basically the same!

I think you are a bit behind - after you got your gtx670, benchmarks and prices changed
    Last edited by ladcrooks; 02-08-2012 at 06:44 PM.

ZaO

Quote Originally Posted by ladcrooks View Post
    there is not much in it across the board, just feel the hd7970 is better value and plus he games and uses the comp for work as well.

not an amd or nivida fanboy - just using more logic, ok my logic! and since amd new drivers came things changed, and they will for either camp.

he also stated - ' My question is that my wonderful wife has cleard me some funds to do an upgrade. ' I think the hd7970 is more future proof.

Price wise they are basically the same!

I think you are a bit behind - after you got your gtx670, benchmarks and prices changed
    You may be right but I had a 7970 only the other day and this Gtx 670 beats it in performance. I heard about this 7970 price drop but after looking around a few stores it doesn't seem to have happened so until it does I still say the Gtx 670 is better value. Not a fanboy or any of that stupid crap either. I just get what performs best for my money. Gtx 670 and 7970 are both great cards anyways so neither is a bad buy at the end of the day...

Registered+
    Thanks
    • DarthRager's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-z68XP-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 2700k
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1 x EVGA GTX 680 Signature 1 @ 1280
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750
      • Case:
      • Corsair 650D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 bit / Ubuntu 13.04
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus 23" PA238Q
      • Internet:
      • Around 1MB/s at max.. UK..

Quote Originally Posted by kill3rvill3 View Post
    ahh right i get you - so my 920 is oc'd at 3.2ghz now, i will have to check my temps when i get home but what speed would you say is possible on stock cooling, i was personally thinking 3.6 - 3.8 as from what i have read pushing it any closer to 4 ghz is pushing the limits with stock cooling
    With £500 I would recommend a 670 (just the cheapest one you can find), A H60 Closed-circuit water cooler for your CPU (which will allow you to overclock a lot, eliminating any possible bottleneck as a result of upgrading to your 670) and maybe a new powers supply, if you have money left over (maybe a Corsair AX 850) as PSU's become less effective and clean over time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information