Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stylish HTPC system

Thanks

Re: Stylish HTPC system

So... the case and HDD have already arrived. The only mini-ITX FM2 mobo I could find actually in stock anywhere is now in the post as is most of the rest. A couple of items are awaiting supplier stock (promised in quick time so let's hope that's true!).

I found another Sony Blu-ray ODD that appears to have it's eject button on the left (to sync with the eject button on the case). About 50% of the Google Image search results have it on the left, the other 50% more centrally. Anyway, Amazon's picture has it on the left so if it's not I shall return it!

Final component list (and prices) below. No cost needed for OS or app SW as I'm going to put either Linux Mint XFCE Edition on there or try an Ubuntu minimal install (i.e. CL-only!) and then put XBMC on the top. I've got a couple of remote control options, first is XBOX 360 wireless controllers (which should be good for general navigation in XBMC as well with the console emulators) but if I can't get them working I've also got a Gyration remote.

ASRock FM2A75M-ITX AMD A75 Chipset (Socket FM2) DDR3 Mini ITX
    £78.16
    60GB Corsair Force Series 3, SATA III SSD, SandForce SF-2200, Read 525MB/s, Write 490MB/s, 80K IOPS
    £54.24
    AMD A10 5700, S FM2, Virgo Core, Quad Core 3.4GHz, AMD Radeon HD 7660D 800MHz, 65W, Retail
    £91.88
    8GB (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance Jet Black Low Profile, PC3-12800 (1600), Non-ECC, CAS 9-9-9-24, XMP, 1.5V
    £29.76
    Streacom F1C Silver Home Theatre Aluminium Chassis
    £55.82
    Hitachi 1TB Travelstar 2.5" SATA-III Hard drive- 5400RPM 8MB Cache
    £68.00
    Sony BD-5850H 6x Slim Internal Slot-in BD Writer
    £68.68
    picoPSU 160W picoPSU and AC/DC adapter block
    £89.99
    Reeven Vanxie RC-0801 Low Profile CPU Cooler
    £20.99
    Scythe Mini Kaze, 40mm x 10mm Quiet Cooling Fan
    £6.12
    A bit of P&P
    £6.81
    TOTAL £570.45
    When the mobo and things start to arrive I'll put a build log up or something as this could be very interesting with such a tiny case!
    Last edited by Jake_UK; 30-10-2012 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Correction to CPU

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

AMD A8 5600K Black Edition, S FM2, Virgo Core, Quad Core 3.6GHz, AMD Radeon HD 7560D 760MHz, 100W, Retail
    £77.47
    Once again - I wouldn't put a 100W APU in that case if I were you. The A10-5700 has very similar CPU performance and much better GPU performance than the A8-5600k, but consumes much less power and will therefore put out much less heat. IMNSHO it's well worth spending the extra ~£15 or so. Alternatively, you could step down to the A8-5500 but you lose quite a lot of clockspeed (400MHz base and 200MHz peak turbo) so I personally don't think it's worth it.
    Last edited by scaryjim; 30-10-2012 at 04:13 PM.

Thanks

Thanks for the spot Jim - indeed, the heatsink is only really good for up to 80W max (and 65W 'quiet').

Corrected in the above.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

I would be looking at the A8-5500 or A10-5700 TBH. There is also this motherboard:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/msi-f...oogle+shopping

Supposedly,it should be arriving today.

Thanks

Came across this thread today as I recently bagged a cheap Streacom F1C case also - no other components yet. I've also run into the "drives with left side eject button" issue. As far as I can tell, the drive you've chosen has a centre eject. It's the Sony BC-5600S that has the button on the left.

As far as processor/motherboard go, thus far I'm strongly veering towards AMD A10-5700/that MSI motherboard. A pseudo gaming HTPC in the smallest box possible!

One other quick note is that Wesena appear to be the same as Streacom, so some of their components also suit, I've found. I'm on the look out for someone with their infra receiver/remote in stock, although a little bit concerned about squeezing it in the case with the MB. But I want to use the little window they've allowed for the remote. Still, the case is leading the way, and should turn into an awesome PC

Thanks

Incidentally, you may not fit that cooler in there - Streacom state 24mm clearance with two 2.5" drives installed.

Thanks
    • jimbouk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450M-HDV R4.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Core Gold GC-650
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-V1100 ATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC CU34G2/BK 34" Widescreen
      • Internet:
      • EE FTC

Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    Incidentally, you may not fit that cooler in there - Streacom state 24mm clearance with two 2.5" drives installed.
    You're not going to fit anything in with 24mm clearance! I thought it was 40mm clearance...?

Thanks

I can't link because I don't have enough posts, but at streacom.com/products/f1c-chassis/ they state:

Max CPU cooler height: 34mm without 2nd SSD (24mm with 2nd SSD installed)
    Edit: This 34mm (Intel) one definitely fits without the second SSD (as per an F1C build I came across:

Akasa AK-CCE-7106HP
    Last edited by deadguy; 02-11-2012 at 09:01 PM.

Thanks

Incidentally, would I be hijacking this thread to discuss my (very similar) build here? Should I post a separate thread?

Thanks

No issues with you continuing this thread with your build deadguy.

My CPU is now in stock but I'm still waiting on the SSD so it'll be a while until the moment of truth regarding the CPU heatsink but the Reeven Vanxie is 22mm high w/o fan (34mm with) so I hope will be OK whatever the drive layout (and I found a successful build using the Scythe Kozuti so that fits with at least 1 SSD).

The BD-5850H is indeed too central an eject button and has now been returned. I can't source the BC-5600S anywhere (other than a dodgy-looking eBay seller in China and I'm not that desperate!) so am looking at dropping the spec to DVD only. The Sony AD-7640S seems to fit the bill there.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jake_UK View Post
    I can't source the BC-5600S anywhere (other than a dodgy-looking eBay seller in China and I'm not that desperate!) so am looking at dropping the spec to DVD only. The Sony AD-7640S seems to fit the bill there.
    http://quietpc.co.uk/st-slot-bluray

Currently in stock :-)

Thanks

Gah, must have just come in! What a PITA as the PSU came from there so could have saved on P&P!

Registered+
    Thanks

Typical! Hope you manage to get hold of one.

Would be very interested in your thoughts on your new build once complete - especially your thoughts on the case as I'm considering one of the Streacom cases for a HTPC build myself.

Thanks

So the last components (CPU, SSD & ODD) should be in the post today or tomorrow! I got fed up with no ETA for the Corsair SSD and ordered a very similar OCZ one that was in stock. I'll start a log once I get get going with the actual build.

Thanks

Most of my components also in the post! Which AC adapter did you get? I've made my first error which is acquiring one with a 4-pin connector rather than a 5mm x 2.5 one. Curses!

Be interested in how you get on with the cooler, as I'm considering the AK-CC1101EP02 which I believe is a little smaller. I also went for a low profile SSD (7mm vs 9.3) which is an extra 2mm clearance if I mount it on the underside of the drive cage.

Thanks

Quick note that anyone waiting on the MSI FM2-A75IA-E53 board will need a bit of patience - I contacted MSI and they said it's due in the UK in December.

Thread Information