Thread: Check for me before placing order, please!

Thanks

Question Check for me before placing order, please!

@Please leave direct link unless I post this topic at right place. Thank staff.

My Order: img38.imageshack.us/img38/6999/33244253.png ( Just copy and past this link on your browser and hit Enter *** Sorry because I am a newbie )

I have a set of 32GB Ram DDR3 - 1333 ( 8GB x 4 ) ; a LCD HDTV Monitor ( Connectors: D-sub, HDMI, DVI, Component, Composite, HDTV tuner) and a USB Mouse at home already. I just want to build a complete Desktop.

Will my choice work or not? Do I need to buy anything else such as cables and thermal fans? Also, the case I choose that comes with a 120nm Fan. I order from Tiger Direct.

Please help me figure out my problem. Thank for read and replay!
    Last edited by jim; 03-12-2012 at 12:44 AM. Reason: added links

Seriously casual gamer KeyboardDemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    • KeyboardDemon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabretooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k + Corsair H80 (Refurbed)
      • Memory:
      • 16gb (4x4gb) Corsair Vengence Red (1866mhz) - (Because it looks good in a black mobo)
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M550 SSD 1TB + 2x 500GB Seagate HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 (Warranty replacement for 780Ti SC ACX)
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 750 watt SuperNova G2
      • Case:
      • Silverstone RV03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity (40mbs dl/10mbs ul)

Re: Check for me before placing order, please!

Here's the link for the pic to help others that are looking.

You have picked a WD Blue and a WD Green drive, both are the same price, why not just get two WD Blue drives as these will have better performance than the Green drives?

Your CPU will work better with faster ram, so it might be worth thinking about upgrading the 1333mhz to 1866mhz or faster at a later date.

You won't need thermal paste if you are using the stock cooler as this comes with thermal paste pre-applied in the box.

Also the 3770k doesn't cost a lot more than the 3770, but this will give you a CPU that you can overclock later but you will need to add a better cooler first to do this.

You also picked a 150mb/s Wifi adapter, does this match your router's speed? If you have a faster router, get a faster adapter, some routers can up to 900mb/s over two channels.

You picked a keyboard but no mouse, do you have the mouse already?

What will you be using it for?

What OS are you installing on it?

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Are you located in the US?? Also,an HD7950 3GB can be had for the same as GTX660TI and I would get that instead.

Thanks
    • KeyboardDemon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabretooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16gb (4x4gb) Corsair Vengence Red (1866mhz) - (Because it looks good in a black mobo)
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Silverstone RV03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:
    Yeah, for gaming the 7950 will outperform the GTX660Ti.

Thanks

@KeyboardDemon:
    You have picked a WD Blue and a WD Green drive, both are the same price, why not just get two WD Blue drives as these will have better performance than the Green drives?
    Thank you. I am going to choose like your comment. Firstly, I thought they were different. While one has 7200 RPM, another doesn't but has same cache.

Your CPU will work better with faster ram, so it might be worth thinking about upgrading the 1333mhz to 1866mhz or faster at a later date.
    I think I will stay at my own 1333mhz till I sell it to get your suggestion.

You won't need thermal paste if you are using the stock cooler as this comes with thermal paste pre-applied in the box.
    May you show me what do I have the stock cooler with thermal paste pre-applied in the box? What is it?

Also the 3770k doesn't cost a lot more than the 3770, but this will give you a CPU that you can overclock later but you will need to add a better cooler first to do this.
    Some comment that if I don't have experience about OC, I should stay at regular CPU. However, it doesn't matter at all if I choose the 3770K as you suggested.

You also picked a 150mb/s Wifi adapter, does this match your router's speed? If you have a faster router, get a faster adapter, some routers can up to 900mb/s over two channels.
    I use AT&T U-Verse and did a Speedtest.net on my old AMD Desktop which shows me this: speedtest.net/result/2346683021.png
    First, I thought I may choose USB wireless adapter but I don't want to waste my USB port then I looked for that. Is Wifi adapter still worth?

You picked a keyboard but no mouse, do you have the mouse already?
    Yes, I have a mouse already.

What will you be using it for?
    I've been researching lots articles about fast in rendering After Effect and some show me I just need a fast CPU and better Ram ( no need a "power" Graphic Card ) so I chose my own list as you can see.

What OS are you installing on it?
    I am going to use Window 7.

@CAT-THE-FIFTH:
    Yes, I live in the U.S. Sorry! I am not interested in games but honestly I just play League of Legend sometimes for fun. And for what I said, I use this choice Desktop for render most projects on VideoHive.net ( Adobe After Effect and 3Ds Max )

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

What motherboard does your old AMD system have??

I would check if you have a local Micro Center as they do good deals.

If you are not overclocking,look at the Xeon E3 1230 V2:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/4...oxed_Processor

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819117286

It is basically a Core i7 3770 with a slightly lower clockspeed and no IGP.

LoL runs fine on my HD5850 1GB at 1680X1050 at the highest quality settings,and my mates run it fine at 1920X1080 with HD5850 1GB and HD6870 1GB cards too. Hence I would look at an HD7850 2GB,HD7870 2GB or a GTX660 non-TI:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127706

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127702

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127681

Thanks
    • KeyboardDemon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabretooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Silverstone RV03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by lilcarp87 View Post
    May you show me what do I have the stock cooler with thermal paste pre-applied in the box? What is it?
    The CPU selected in your list is the retail version, this is not just the CPU but it also includes a CPU cooler which attaches to the top of your CPU in order to draw heat away from it and a fan attached to the cooler will blow the heat away from the cooler. Thermal paste is used in order to ensure that as much of the generated heat as is possible is transferred away from the CPU to the cooler, but as your CPU is a brand new product the CPU included will already have it's own thermal paste on the bottom of the cooler. Here's a picture of my CPU cooler that came with my i7, the thermal paste is the grey stuff.

Some comment that if I don't have experience about OC, I should stay at regular CPU. However, it doesn't matter at all if I choose the 3770K as you suggested.
    If the price difference is small, you might find that as you gain more confidence with your PC that start to want to get more out of it, having a CPU that's ready for overclocking means that you will have the option to overclock it if you progress to that stage.

I use AT&T U-Verse and did a Speedtest.net on my old AMD Desktop which shows me this: speedtest.net/result/2346683021.png
    First, I thought I may choose USB wireless adapter but I don't want to waste my USB port then I looked for that. Is Wifi adapter still worth?
    Speed test will tell you the speed of the connection from you Internet service provider to your home, it doesn't actually measure the speed of the network connection from your router/gateway to your wireless device. If you can find out what wifi standards your router supports this will help determine the maximum speed that the router is capable of working at. Look for something along the lines of 802.11 followed by some letters, usually something along the lines a, b, g and n or A/B/G/N etc... The adapter you have selected is an N150, this is the slowest of the N type adapters, most N routers will run at least N300 or 300Mb/s and more recently they can use a trick where the routers runs on two channels at the same time to get 2 connections running at 450Mb/s each. But I would only think about changing that wireless adapter if you feel that your wireless connection speed is critical, and in your case it might not be.

Thanks

@KeyboardDemon:
    Oh I see. Thank for showing that, so I gonna buy one needle for my friend and change to CPU that supports overclock. I might buy the RAM that you suggested later.

Because of many different types of PCI slots, I don't know what I should buy. And for the last adapter I chose, it doesn't support Window 7, so I might change it to USB wireless. I still wonder whether it matters to my WPA2-PSK or not. Its specification shows its security protocols as WPA2 only, not mention about PSK.

Now, It's the second choice. Please figure out my problem especially cables, I don't know if they are included or not because items don't say anything about it. Here is my change:
    img14.imageshack.us/img14/414/44692750.png

@CAT-THE-FIFTH:
    My AMD system is Athlon II X2 215 Regor 45nm Technology |RAM 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 400MHz (6-6-6-18) | Motherboard Dell Inc. 896N (AM2) I don't know if it supports DDR3 or not. If so, I might buy another set of RAM like KeyboardDemon suggested and use my 1333 for it.

That AMD desktop now belongs to my family member and it is the main computer that connects to Modem by RJ-45 at my home. I just want to build another Desktop for me which supports Video Editing. Mostly, I edit project on After Effect and sometimes on Adobe Premiere and 3Ds Max. I currently have a Laptop Core i5 and it renders some projects so slow. Once time, it took 5 hours for a best quality video.

However, I find another card GTX 670 which costs a little bit more money than the last one as you can see it on the list above.

I am also confuse about those Graphic Cards because of OEM Card through this article
    studio1productions.com/Articles/AfterEffects.htm

Should I stay at old GTX 660 Ti 3GB DDR5 or the new GTX 670 2GB DDR5?
    Last edited by jim; 03-12-2012 at 12:44 AM. Reason: added links

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

@CAT-THE-FIFTH:
    My AMD system is Athlon II X2 215 Regor 45nm Technology |RAM 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 400MHz (6-6-6-18) | Motherboard Dell Inc. 896N (AM2) I don't know if it supports DDR3 or not. If so, I might buy another set of RAM like KeyboardDemon suggested and use my 1333 for it.

That AMD desktop now belongs to my family member and it is the main computer that connects to Modem by RJ-45 at my home. I just want to build another Desktop for me which supports Video Editing. Mostly, I edit project on After Effect and sometimes on Adobe Premiere and 3Ds Max. I currently have a Laptop Core i5 and it renders some projects so slow. Once time, it took 5 hours for a best quality video.
    I was only asking since,many of the AMD motherboards,can take a cheap upgrade to a Phenom II X6,but since the PC has been given away this is a moot point.

However, I find another card GTX 670 which costs a little bit more money than the last one as you can see it on the list above.

I am also confuse about those Graphic Cards because of OEM Card through this article
    Code:
     studio1productions.com/Articles/AfterEffects.htm
    Should I stay at old GTX 660 Ti 3GB DDR5 or the new GTX 670 2GB DDR5?
    Again,anything over an HD7850 is going to wasted with LoL. Like I said I play it on and off and so do many people I know and it runs fine at 1920X1080 using an HD5850 1GB and HD6870 1GB. Even a cheaper card would probably be fine - something along the lines of an HD7770 or a GTX650TI.

Don't waste your money. At the most get a HD7870 or GTX660 which is still OTT for that game IMHO. Save youself $100.

Moreover,that article is out of date. The Adobe CS6 suite now supports OpenCL:

http://blogs.adobe.com/premierepro/2...e-pro-cs6.html

http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/amd...eleration.html

I would read this article:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ro,3208-6.html

The AMD GPUs tend to have better support for OpenCL than Nvidia cards. If you are using 3DS Max,the Nvidia cards probably are better if using the GPU,but again there is the argument whether you should be using Quadro cards or gaming cards for that.

Moreover,if you are not overclocking save yourself $75 to $100 and stick with a Xeon E3 1230 V2.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 03-12-2012 at 12:22 AM.

Thanks

Hmmm .. Sound nice ( for saving money ) to me.

Most people recommend to use Intel Core instead of AMD, so I rarely researched AMD stuff.

Would you please list a complete build for me if it's possible? Thank a lot!!!

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

I am not sure if that Dell motherboard can be upgraded though.

The Core i7 is more powerful,but upgrading would have been cheaper!

BTW,you need to include Windows too. The cheapest way is to download the release preview and use the cheap MS upgrade offer:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/....Windows_8_Pro

However,of course you need to check compatability of your software is OK(it should be fine TBH but it is better to check).

The parts are from Newegg and you cannot overclock with the build. You could probably go with a cheaper motherboard(the one I chose is a tad overspecified but should not be stressed).

The HD7850 2GB should run LoL fine. You could go with an HD7770 1GB and it probably would still be fine with that game.The PSU is a very good modular unit which is efficient and Seasonic is highly rated for reliability.

I also added a 128GB SSD too. I would go for the slightly cheaper Samsung 830 over the Crucial M4. You could go with a 256GB model for nearer $200:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820147138

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820148443

The AMD alternative is the following:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819113284

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128519

Going with the FX8350,will save you $50 overall. The Intel based system should be a bit quicker overall.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 03-12-2012 at 02:20 AM.

Thanks

The Core i7 is more powerful,but upgrading would have been cheaper!
    OMG! You did a excellent job for me though.

Thank for spending time to list it to me but I think more powerful ( less than < $1300 ) will solve my problem.
    I might stay at Core i7.

By the way, I am going to do more researches about those Radeon HD vs nVidida. And I'll be back soon in my topic.

Registered+
    Thanks

A hex core cpu will be better for rendering than an ivy bridge, but you'll pay more; a xeon may also be a better option, although again, a dual xeon system will certainly cost; depending on how much you need to do you might find it cost effective to use render farms for some of you work.

Of course, leaving your computer on for periods of time to render is going to cost - hence the renderfarm consideration. Not only that, but lots of rendering - whereby the processors are pushed to their max for long periods of time - will reduce their life, so xeon again may be more viable. Just consider, consumer components aren't generally designed to run for long periods of time at a high rate. (My system, i7 920 has done well, but it recently went belly-up.)

Alternatively, you may find that your renders could be handled by graphics cards which with their massive parallel processing capabilities can render much quicker; Professional cards cost lots and while gaming cards can sometimes be used their performance and memory options can be limiting. Depends on the software you use.

And then there's the xeon phi, rumoured to be arriving next month (iirc); Intel's multi-core processing unit - not exactly a graphics card.

Thread Information