Thread: New Build - First time and sanity check - Help?

Thanks

New Build - First time and sanity check - Help?

Hi All,

I am going to build a new PC (previously mac user and console gamer) and have put together the build below, I haven't pulled the trigger yet and before I do I wanted to check I'm not making any obvious mistakes. The key for me is that it has longterm planning, so I put some thought into the MOBO, PSU and Case/Cooling. Cyberpunk is what I'm first looking to play, then total war games etc

Look forward to your thoughts!

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x
    GPU: GTX 3070
    SSD: 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, M.2 (2280) PCIe 3.0 (x4), NVMe SSD, MLC V-NAND, 3500MB/s Read, 3300MB/s Write, 600k/550k IOPS

MOBO: ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI), AMD X570, AM4, DDR4, PCIe 4.0, Dual M.2, 2-Way CrossFire, GbE/WiFi, USB 3.2, ATX
    £226.99

PSU: 850W NZXT C-Series C850, Fully Modular, 80 PLUS Gold, Single Rail, 70A, 120mm Fan, ATX PSU
    £129.98

Case: Fractal Design Define 7, Black, Mid Tower w/ Dark Tempered Glass, 3x 140mm Fans, USB 3.1 Type-C, E-ATX/ATX/mATX/mITX

Memory: 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance RGB PRO Black, PC4-28800 (3600), Non-ECC Unbuff, CAS 18, 1.35V, AMD Ryzen Optimised

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

Re: New Build - First time and sanity check - Help?

tbh it's a reasonable spec and it will be availability (especially of CPU and GPU) that will be the issue. Check you're happy with mobo spec and connectivity etc if so then TUF is a reasonable prospect. X570 IMO is the better offering than B550 for long-term even with its chipset fan.

The RAM is the thing I'd change. Corsair RAM can be a bit of a lottery as to what RAM chips it's using. I'd look for something you know to be Samsung BDie or Micron Edie. You really want 3600 CAS16 rather than CAS18, also consider 3200 CAS14 kits. The net latency on each is roughly the same. It's not that the RAM you suggest is bad, it will do the job, just that there is better out there.

PSU check its noise profile. I remember one of the NZXT PSU reviews recently slating the noise but can't remember which model that was for.

That is a BIIIIG case, do you definitely need one that size?

Lastly CPU cooling - you just running on stock cooler for a while? Do the 5000 series come with a cooler anymore?

Thanks

Thanks for your thoughts, will definitely look at the RAM and PSU again. Forgot to add but for cooling was going to go with KRAKEN X73 AIO.

I didn't want to run the lottery on cooling so thought large case plus the above, happy to downsize if appropriate.

Glad to hear I haven't made any major errors (yet)

Thanks
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX8350 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 2gb Corsair Vengence 1600mhz cas9
      • Storage:
      • 512gb samsung SSD +1tb Samsung HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EGVA GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic GX 650W
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama XB3270QS-B1 32" IPS 1440p

I think peterb has pretty much hit the nail on the head, personally I'd not worry about ram too much, the difference isn't that great, overclocking is where you'd most notice it and your not falling for the supper high speed high cas sticks that charge a premium

case is a bit ott unless you plan on a custom water cooling loop

you've not listed prices on cpu, gpu and ssd so do I take it that you already have them?
    because cpu and gpu are very hard to get atm, unless you go to ebay scalping resellers atm

Thanks

Great feedback thank you, I managed to secure the CPU but on the look out for the GPU. Spot on with the case, I would prefer something much more compact (it was recommended) any recommendations for something smaller with good thermals/noise?

Registered+
    Thanks

If you want better thermals then mesh front is worth considering e.g meshify C mini or p300a. Noise can be reduced by having good thermals, but for pure noise dampening at the cost of thermals then there's cases with padded panels like some of the be quiet ones.

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

Quote Originally Posted by Pob255 View Post
    I think peterb has pretty much hit the nail on the head
    not peterb, sadly he's not with us anymore. At some point I'll change the avatar + title away but I still miss the chap and can't think of anything better right now.

Quote Originally Posted by InnV View Post
    Great feedback thank you, I managed to secure the CPU but on the look out for the GPU. Spot on with the case, I would prefer something much more compact (it was recommended) any recommendations for something smaller with good thermals/noise?
    It's a bit like asking "what's a good car?" There are several, what is your budget and what do you want from it?
    What are your case priorities? Noise, thermals, airflow, lightshow, value for money? etc.
    What size rads does it need to fit in and how many SSD vs HDD do you need, also do you want any 5.25" bays?

Registered+
    Thanks

I have a relatively similar build, albeit a tad weaker. R5 3600 and RTX 3070 FE, which I'm managing a relatively stable 50-60fps on Cyberpunk, high settings with ray tracing at 1440p (you've not stated what resolution that you'll be playing at, but if you're considering future-proofing then I'm assuming that this will be considered if not already).

I'm not sure how many generations/upgrades that you're thinking of keeping the PSU for, but a decent 650W would be sufficient for your current build. I'm currently use a 750W, to keep my options open for an upgrade down the line (5800x and 3080 most likely).

Regarding case, if you're considering pure airflow, rather than water cooling, Phanteks P400 is highly rated and widely reviewed. If you opt to go for water cooling then you could more easily get away with smaller cases.

Do you really need such a pricey motherboard? There are some cheaper versions that will offer the majority of functions that you've listed. Buying an expensive motherboard for future-proofing can be false economy when CPU manufacturers change the chipset on future generations, forcing consumers to upgrade their motherboards.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by InnV View Post
    Hi All,

I am going to build a new PC (previously mac user and console gamer) and have put together the build below, I haven't pulled the trigger yet and before I do I wanted to check I'm not making any obvious mistakes. The key for me is that it has longterm planning, so I put some thought into the MOBO, PSU and Case/Cooling. Cyberpunk is what I'm first looking to play, then total war games etc

Look forward to your thoughts!

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x
    GPU: GTX 3070
    SSD: 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, M.2 (2280) PCIe 3.0 (x4), NVMe SSD, MLC V-NAND, 3500MB/s Read, 3300MB/s Write, 600k/550k IOPS

MOBO: ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI), AMD X570, AM4, DDR4, PCIe 4.0, Dual M.2, 2-Way CrossFire, GbE/WiFi, USB 3.2, ATX
    £226.99

PSU: 850W NZXT C-Series C850, Fully Modular, 80 PLUS Gold, Single Rail, 70A, 120mm Fan, ATX PSU
    £129.98

Case: Fractal Design Define 7, Black, Mid Tower w/ Dark Tempered Glass, 3x 140mm Fans, USB 3.1 Type-C, E-ATX/ATX/mATX/mITX

Memory: 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance RGB PRO Black, PC4-28800 (3600), Non-ECC Unbuff, CAS 18, 1.35V, AMD Ryzen Optimised
    I'd recommend you switch up the motherboard to a Tuf X570 Pro - its a few quid dearer but its the newer version, better thermals and USB C front panel support & internal header!

Registered+
    Thanks

Do you have much need for an ATX motherboard rather than a microATX one? I'm looking at a new build as well and trying to see where I can save costs.

There's a compact version of the Fractal Design Define 7 case, if you wanted something the same but smaller. It can still accept an ATX motherboard.

With the NVMe SSD, you might not see much difference (outside of benchmarks) going with something cheaper like a Western Digital Blue one instead.

For sourcing a GPU, there are channels you can subscribe to on Telegram to be notified when they come in stock. I was able to get an RTX 3070 FE at RRP a couple of weeks ago that way.

Thread Information