Thread: OC Problem with new system

Thanks

OC Problem with new system

I took delivery of my new 3XS system on Friday. Vengeance OC with i& 2600K overclocked to 4.7 GHz. It's a fine machine, but it appears to have an odd problem.

I've loaded the Overclock profile in the BIOS, and verified that the settings look correct (mulitplier = 47, Turbo enabled) before booting Windows. Then I ran a stress test using Prime95, with CPU-Z and RealTemp running to monitor the system. The problem is, even at 100% CPU load, the CPU never exceeds the stock speeed of 3.4 GHz. I've checked the Power Options in Windows to make sure that the max processor state is set to 100%, so it can't be that. Speedstep is enabled in the BIOS, but as I understand it, that should not prevent the CPU from reaching its max
    speed when under full load.

I can also see from the 3XS benchmarking results that the CPU did reach 4.7 GHz when tested after the build stage. But for some reason, when I run the same test, I'm stuck at 3.4 and no higher.

Is there anything else in the BIOS or the Windows configuration that could be causing this limitation? At the moment I'm very frustrated and struggling to find an explanation. Any ideas would be most welcome.

Thanks
    • Rob @ Scan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP-35 Pro (on it's very last legs!)
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.4Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair Dominator
      • Storage:
      • NAS box
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 460 SC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • 3 x 19"
      • Internet:
      • 60 Mb Virgin Media

Re: OC Problem with new system

Hi,

Just to confirm is CPU-Z reporting the speed as 3400mhz? As coretemp and windows will report the speed as being 3.4 even when its overclocked. CPU-Z will report the actual clock speed the CPU is running at.

Also once the overclocked profile is loaded in the BIOS if you could make sure you have selected "save and exit" rather than "discard and exit".

Regards
    Rob

Thanks

Thanks for your reply.

I have run the same Prime95 stress tests using the stock profile and the OC profile. CPU-Z and RealTemp both report 3400 MHz at 100% load, regardless of which profile is running.

What I have noticed, though, is that CPU-Z shows a core voltage of around 1.4 when running the OC profile, as opposed to 1.1 or thereabouts at stock. (The OC profile sets the CPU voltage manually to 1.42, while the default profile leaves it at Auto). Additionally, RealTemp is showing CPU temperatures about 60 degrees, compared to the mid-40s in the stock test. This indicates to me that the OC profile is indeed being loaded, and yet I'm not getting beyond stock speed.

I see similar results when testing with OCCT.

I have a couple od screenshots to illustrate all of this, but I can't seem to attach them.

Thanks

Oops.... How embarrassing.

Everything is working fine, now that I've unticked the "Disable Turbo" checkbox in the RealTemp settings screen. (Never even realized that was there).

Apologies for wasting everyone's time.

Thanks
    • Rob @ Scan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP-35 Pro (on it's very last legs!)
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.4Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair Dominator
      • Storage:
      • NAS box
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 460 SC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • 3 x 19"
      • Internet:
      • 60 Mb Virgin Media

Thanks for getting back to us!

Not a problem - I didn't realise there was that option is realtemp! I'll have a look out for it!

Let us know if you have any further questions - and if not... enjoy your 3XS system!

Regards,
    Rob

Thread Information