Thread: Memory - Selecting 'x'Gb will limit the overclock!!

Thanks

Question Memory - Selecting 'x'Gb will limit the overclock!!

Greetings All,

I have been playing with various 3XS configurations over the last 24 hrs and should finance allow, I will look to purchase a 1.5K PC around Easter time.

Most of the systems I have looked at are overclocked to 4Ghz and have a RAM warning as per the thread title. If I have a board capable of taking 24gb, and I'm being advised that 12gb may cause overclock problems, is it better to swerve the overclock as ultimately I will want to be a 'ram-whore' and fill it up to the max

I'm using a Dell Vostro Dual Core p.o.s currently so not overclocking an i5/i7 is not really a big deal as I'm sure the performance upgrade will be staggering without. The other side of the coin is the option to go even faster for no more £'s making it rude not too from that point of view??

Any opinions on the RAM / Overclocking situation would be very much appreciated as I haven't got a clue!!

Cheers,
    Des-mond

Thanks

Re: Memory - Selecting 'x'Gb will limit the overclock!!

Could any Scan staff member offer an opinion please?

Thanks

Hi,

Clock speeds are only guaranteed with one bank of memory slots occupied. The memory makers themselves only promise that the timings advertised will work when using the memory in a matched pack. Once you add in more memory from another pack they do say that you may need to drop the timings slightly to make it all play nicely. This is made worse by overclocking as your pushing the memory even harder and sometimes you have to make those adjustments to get it all stable.

So a 12GB configuration with 3 X 4GB sticks shouldn't be too problematic but going for the full 24 means we may not meet the promised overclock, but we will try our best to get it as close a possible for you.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply Pete.

I'm thinking of a 3xs 'Intel P67 Chipset - Overclocked Bundle', as I bought a case from you over the weekend. These deals currently have the Rev3 boards listed, which is what I want, are these boards available yet as a bundle as most appear to be pre-orders as individual components?

What sort of lead-time am I looking at for a Sandy bridge, Rev3 board bundle?

Cheers
    Des-mond

Thanks

I can't confirm currently on that one. We're expecting stock in the next 7 days but it's not been made clear to us at this point what our inital allocation will be. Boards are currently on a first come, first searved basis so hopefully enough will land that we can clear the backlog with the first delivery.

Thread Information