Thread: SSD Versus HDD

Registered+
    Thanks

SSD Versus HDD

I bought a 480GB SSD after time testing opening our job files from the C: SSD 240GB compared to the HDD we use for storage, I got a good time improvement doing that, but now I have the larger SSD for storage it actually opens our job files slower than from the HDD, the HDD job file is being opened over a wired gigabit network too so I would of thought it would be vice versa.

Sandisk are convinced their SSD should open our job files quicker, the benchmark test they asked me to do shows 'your hard drive reaches a maximum of 188Mb/s, the SSD reaches up to 560MB/s, which is a very good speed' but then why does it open our job files slower than the HDD?

They said in the last message it would open them quicker if the SSD they were on was our system SSD so I have tried my same test opening job files off our C: drive SSD and now it isn't any quicker doing that either, so I can't even replicate my intial timed speed tests, I was getting a 21 second advantage opening a particular job file off the SSD compared to the HDD, can't now, tried the same tests on other systems too, same results.

I have no idea, I've tried Corel Draw files and Signlab files with the same results, does anyone on here have any idea's what is happening?

I have read you won't see any major difference using a SSD over a HDD for storage but will for starting the OS and programs etc, but then Sandisk say otherwise.

Thanks
    • pp05's system
      • Motherboard:
      • AsRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming itx
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3 2200G
      • Memory:
      • Ballistix Elite 8GB Kit 3200 UDIMM
      • Storage:
      • Kingston 240gb SSD
      • PSU:
      • Kolink SFX 350W PSU
      • Case:
      • Kolink Sattelite plus MITX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
    I can't remember where I read it but it was one of the review sites looking into larger SSD drives and having same issues. They suggested it was possibly to do with error correction in the larger drives.

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: SSD Versus HDD

Thanks PP, but I get the same using 240GB or 120GB SSD's too.

Thanks
    • phil4's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabertooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • Core i7-3770K @ 4.6Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 1866Mhz
      • Storage:
      • OS: OCZ Vertex 4 256Gb, Data: 3Tb Seagate HDD, Cache: OCZ Agility 4 128Gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2 x EVGA GTX 680 SC
      • PSU:
      • 750W Corsair Pro Series AX
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 650D Black
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell U2410 Ultrasharp
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet Fibre Unlimited 76/20

Just checking here, but your comparison times are both where the machine is opening the job file, same job files, first from HDD and then from an SDD?

Reason I ask is there is of course a lot of other things that could affect job file opening, eg. Memory or CPU.

If you're not doing a like for like comparison, you may be missing the problem.

Registered+
    Thanks

Yes open same job file from the HDD and then from SSD on the same system, timed with a stopwatch from hitting open to when the job is displayed on screen, using a 1.43GB file for the test, tried a few other job files too, same result, HDD is quicker, done the same on matching systems, same results.

Thanks
    • phil4's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabertooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • Core i7-3770K @ 4.6Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 1866Mhz
      • Storage:
      • OS: OCZ Vertex 4 256Gb, Data: 3Tb Seagate HDD, Cache: OCZ Agility 4 128Gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2 x EVGA GTX 680 SC
      • PSU:
      • 750W Corsair Pro Series AX
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 650D Black
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell U2410 Ultrasharp
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet Fibre Unlimited 76/20

I can't think why at the moment, but to rule it out, have you tried a similar timed comparison with a different file and program type.

Eg. opening a large Zip file, or word doc, or SQL database restore or something like that.

I'm thinking of this to try and rule out the application as the problem. As I say right now I can't think logically how it can, but worth trying.

Also, do you have your swap file on the SSD? Perhaps by opening from the same drive, the swap is being actively used and slowing the SSD file access a little.

Finally, have a read of this: http://lifehacker.com/5837769/make-s...ve-performance

Registered+
    Thanks

Yes I have tried it in Signlab with our sign job files with full colour images which are quite large files, and similar files in Corel Draw too, I might just try some drag and drop of files to see if any speed difference and some other software too. Sandisk were looking into it for me but that got set aside for a while as I had a faulty system SSD on one of my new systems and have spent what seems a lifetime sorting that out. No idea about swap files, the same job is being opened from a HDD storage drive and a SSD storage drive. I'll read what is on the link when I get a chance, Thanks!

Thread Information