Thread: Scan-delous! Shocking after sales treatment!

Thanks
    • aeonf242's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ZBOX-AD02
      • CPU:
      • 1.6 GHz Dual Core All-in-One
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 100gb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD Radeon™ HD 6310
      • PSU:
      • Power Brick
      • Case:
      • ZBOX-AD02
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • 21.5" HD Thing
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Thing

Scan-delous! Shocking after sales treatment!

I'll say first that I like to think I've got a pretty honest rep, if you check my Hexus or ebay. Secondly I've been quite a good customer of Scan over the last year putting a couple of thousand of pounds of business their way (helped by free next day delivery).

So what happened to me was quite a shock.

In a nutshell I ordered a system, I did change my mind a bit as it was touch and go whether just to rebuild my existing low power box. A few parts were out of stock so I ordered different parts including a 7200rpm Seagate 1tb Hybrid drive ( I already have the 750gb version).

So the system arrived, I did notice the back plate screws were a bit shoddy, but assumed it was a cheap case so probably hard to screw together. I didn't touch the VESA mount.

I used it for about a few hours, then realised the HDD was actually 5400rpm and it seemed to be noticeably slower than my existing system.

So I asked to return the unit explain why, was told to that I'd have to pay a restocking fee, etc as it was my fault.
    Scan did eventually understand they'd made the error and accepted the return.

I posted it back, Scan got it on the Tuesday. I chased them on the Friday.

The next bit is shocking.
    Quote Originally Posted by scan
    We have received the system and after inspection of the system we have determined that the case has not been looked after and has scratches on the back, it has also been mounted and the mounting holes have chips of paint missing so we therefore cannot resell this as new The returns manager has advised therefore that as the goods have not been returned in their original sellable condition we can only refund you for the cost of the components inside the system and the case cost will be deducted off the refund
    The old scratched case will be returned to you if you wish
    The Mini ITX case is priced at £44.98+ Vat
    If you wish to seek legal advice regarding this please contact trading standards, if you require photographs of this damage we are happy to send these to you
    So I replied saying I'd not damaged the case only having removed it from the packaging to turn on for a few hours, they didn't believe me and I'm £65 out of pocket for their errors.

I'm certainly not impressed. It'll make me think twice about ordering again and it's lesson to take more care when you get goods to inspect them.

Thanks

Re: Scan-delous! Shocking after sales treatment!

Quote Originally Posted by aeonf242 View Post
    so I ordered different parts including a 7200rpm Seagate 1tb Hybrid drive ( I already have the 750gb version).
    -
    I used it for about a few hours, then realised the HDD was actually 5400rpm and it seemed to be noticeably slower than my existing system.
    You can note here that the 1TB drive IS a 5400rpm drive, not 7200. Was it listed at 7200rpm on Scan? Then you have an argument.

Was the drive the only issue with the system?

Thanks
    • aeonf242's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ZBOX-AD02
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 100gb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD Radeon™ HD 6310
      • PSU:
      • Power Brick
      • Case:
      • ZBOX-AD02
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • 21.5" HD Thing
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Thing

Quote Originally Posted by NecronomicoN View Post
    You can note here that the 1TB drive IS a 5400rpm drive, not 7200. Was it listed at 7200rpm on Scan? Then you have an argument.
    Was the drive the only issue with the system?
    TBH that wasn't the main issue, it was the valid reason to return the system however. At the 2nd go they said they'd made the listing error.
    I already had most of the components of the system I bought, including a 750gb 7200rpm Hybrid drive, I was just short of time so bought a prebuilt system.
    At the end of the day it's my word against theirs.

Thanks

If Scan made a listing error that you caught, they can't charge you a 15% restocking fee. They've admitted it was their fault.

The case is sketchy ground though. Short of refusing to take the initial delivery, there's no way to get a clean return on that. But given your history, they ought to take the thing back in good faith. I would probably be raging just like you are.

Thanks

Hi aeonf242

We are sorry to hear that you have not been happy with the service.

I have checked with the System Support team and they have confirmed the following

The system was indeed sold with a drive that we agreed after checks was mis-advertised as a 7200RPM drive on Scans website though this was not the drive you selected when you ordered the system from our website

Checking through the query notes you originally selected a 750GB that is 7200RPM and then once the order was placed requested the drive to be changed by our customer service team over the phone to the 1TB Model on the 25th June

To resolve your issue we offered the following solutions:

1) RMA for the drive including collection for the drive and delivery of a new 7200 Drive
    2) A full replacement Value System with the drive of your choosing - Again we would cover carriage both ways
    3) A refund pending inspection on the Value System

You opted for a refund pending inspection

Upon receipt of the system we advised you of the scratches before issuing the refund minus the cost of the case and also offered to send you photos of the scratches and the original case itself once the refund had been processed

A full refund would have been issued if the system was returned in its original condition but it was not as the case was not as new condition and as the goods were rejected by you it is your responsibility to take reasonable care and return them to us in the same state they were received

We can confirm that the case was not in this condition when it was built up at Scan, our engineers all have padded benches to prevent any scratches and we would not have shipped a system out as new in this state

You will see from other forum posts on Hexus that the build team take great pride in their work and presentation of the systems we sell and if these marks were indeed on the case the system would have been rebuilt in a new case before shipping to you

Regards

Thanks
    • aeonf242's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ZBOX-AD02
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 100gb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD Radeon™ HD 6310
      • PSU:
      • Power Brick
      • Case:
      • ZBOX-AD02
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • 21.5" HD Thing
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Thing

Quote Originally Posted by Carlh View Post
    Hi aeonf242

We are sorry to hear that you have not been happy with the service.

I have checked with the System Support team and they have confirmed the following

The system was indeed sold with a drive that we agreed after checks was mis-advertised as a 7200RPM drive on Scans website though this was not the drive you selected when you ordered the system from our website

Checking through the query notes you originally selected a 750GB that is 7200RPM and then once the order was placed requested the drive to be changed by our customer service team over the phone to the 1TB Model on the 25th June

To resolve your issue we offered the following solutions:

1) RMA for the drive including collection for the drive and delivery of a new 7200 Drive
    2) A full replacement Value System with the drive of your choosing - Again we would cover carriage both ways
    3) A refund pending inspection on the Value System

You opted for a refund pending inspection

Upon receipt of the system we advised you of the scratches before issuing the refund minus the cost of the case and also offered to send you photos of the scratches and the original case itself once the refund had been processed

A full refund would have been issued if the system was returned in its original condition but it was not as the case was not as new condition and as the goods were rejected by you it is your responsibility to take reasonable care and return them to us in the same state they were received

We can confirm that the case was not in this condition when it was built up at Scan, our engineers all have padded benches to prevent any scratches and we would not have shipped a system out as new in this state

You will see from other forum posts on Hexus that the build team take great pride in their work and presentation of the systems we sell and if these marks were indeed on the case the system would have been rebuilt in a new case before shipping to you

Regards
    That's a fair response, however I'll still maintain you're incorrect.
    However I have no proof, so I've said me my piece.
    You'd have to admit that damage on the bottom and rear of a small case would be hard for anyone to notice, even your system builder.
    That's all I'll say.
    Last edited by aeonf242; 13-07-2013 at 08:40 PM.

Thread Information