Thread: RMA 288236 - OCZ Octane

Thanks

RMA 288236 - OCZ Octane

Hi Mark,

As discussed.

Ordered this on Friday 2nd November from Today Only, OCZ Octane 256GB drive.

Drive itself is working on Windows, but displays a whole host of faults when plugged into the Mac Mini. Fails to boot (just spins on the white screen), resume from sleep fails, and randomly just beach balls in OS X (safe mode).

It's a firmware problem, which OCZ have supposedly fixed but having read up on their forums this morning I have very little faith in them fixing the fault properly.

Mailed you guys last night for some advice on how best to proceed, received an automatic RMA as per my earlier thread.

Happy to go down the RMA route as I expect I'll probably end up returning this to you in the long run, but some dialog or alternatives would have been nice instead of just being hit with a potential 10 day wait for a refund then the whole order process again.

Be good to get your thoughts, as this isn't the first time this has happened to me with Scan.

Thanks

Scan Computers Technical/Returns Mark@SCAN's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Mark@SCAN's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS MAXIMUS VII GENE Z97
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790k @ 4.7ghz
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 2400MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1x 512GB Samsung SM951 NVME & 1x 4TB WD Caviar Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 980
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone SST-ST75F-G Strider 750w
      • Case:
      • SilverStone FT03B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • DELL U2711H
      • Internet:
      • SKY Fibre Unlimited

Re: RMA 288236 - OCZ Octane

scruffy,

I take your comments on-board, looking at your e-mailed description of the fault it looks like the staff member who issued the RMA considers the problems you are having to be caused by compatibility with the mac rather than a fault with the drive and as such in his opinion the best thing to do was to issue the RMA and has marked it down as an incompatible/unsuitable part.

I accept that maybe some e-mails could have been exchanged to advise of the options but I suspect that ultimately the outcome would have been no different i.e. RMA the drive, get it back for refund and re-order something that hopefully will work better with your mac my suggestion - (samsung 830)

I would suggest calling us to discuss your concerns in future with this type of problem as it can be very difficult to deal with this type of problem via e-mail, it's very time consuming and can often be solved with a simple phone call. It can be difficult to convey things over e-mail and I appreciate it may have come across as robotic or unsympathetic I can only assure you this is not our intention.

The 10 days quoted in the e-mail you have received is incorrect and I have instructed my colleague to amend the e-mail that he is sending, we are currently working to a 3-5 day turnaround.

Regards
    Last edited by Mark@SCAN; 07-11-2012 at 03:48 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks

Re: RMA 288236 - OCZ Octane

Funnily enough, I was looking at the 830 (albeit the cheaper 7mm one) as a replacement drive. OK, I'll get it shipped back to you under the RMA. Little happier knowing it's 3-5 days instead of 10.

I'll call in future for the human touch, but still think a simple 2-3 email discussion would have achieved the same end.

Thanks for the follow up, much appreciated.

Thread Information