Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MSI R9 280x RMA

Thanks

MSI R9 280x RMA

I bought an MSI R9 280x graphics card In Jan and it developed a fault where the screen would jump randomly. Sometimes 3 times in a minute or once every 2 hours. I done a number of tests to narrow down the problem to the graphics card as I didn't want to mess around with an unnecessary RMA. I messaged customer support on live chat and after a lot of messing around got an RMA going I explained in detail what the problem was and how careful it would have to be tested because of the nature of the problem. I was told to pay for return when I refused A courier was set up. I sent the GPU back with notes detailing everything to help the tested. Anyway the test came back with no fault, reason why no fault was found was because the type of tests done would never find this fault. I called and spoke to cs again telling them my problem over and over, they agreed to retest. By this time I had received emails telling me I would be charged for the pick up the test and retest if no fault is found. I waited and heard nothing, I ended up calling and was told they think it's been sent back to MSI, I was emailed 5 minutes later saying it's gone to MSI and may take 28 days. Yesterday a little over 28 days later I was emailed saying It's being replaced, today an email said RMA complete. So I called today saying I want a refund and was told it could never be a refund as its over 28 days then we had a discussion about consumer rights and what fit to purpose means. Anyway I have been messed around a lot, the graphics card only worked properly for about 6 weeks and because scan didn't listen to my advice the whole process took that bit longer. I would like a refund and would love to be in contact with someone who can actually help me.

Simon Ramdeen
    Last edited by Mark@SCAN; 15-08-2014 at 01:40 PM.

Thanks
    • Mick@SCAN's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC
      • CPU:
      • i5 4670k @ 4.7 Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
      • Storage:
      • 120GB Samsung 840 / 2TB Seagate SATA III ST2000DM001 / 120GB Vertex Plus
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8GB MSI 290X
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Modular Infiniti 650Watt
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design ARC MIDI R2 Tower Case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama ProLite G2773HS-2
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mb

Re: MSI R9 280x RMA

pioneertrini,

I am sorry to hear about the problems you are having, please provide your RMA number and I will look into this query for you.

Kind regards,

Thanks

Hi thanks for your quick reply Mick

RMA 333291

Thanks
    • Mick@SCAN's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC
      • CPU:
      • i5 4670k @ 4.7 Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8GB MSI 290X
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mb

pioneertrini,

Having looked into the RMA I can see that the card was originally purchased in January 2014, your first point of contact was May 2014 concerning the fault with the card.

I can see that we raised an RMA and the card was collected by Scan as you requested a collection.

The card was booked in on the 27th of May and initially found to be in full working order, due to the intermittent nature of the fault we returned the card to MSI who in turn agreed to replace the card.

I am sorry that this has taken slightly longer than we would have anticipated but in this instance we would only provide a replacement under warranty.

Kind regards,

Thanks

Is the replacement card brand new? and does the warranty restart?

Thanks
    • Mick@SCAN's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC
      • CPU:
      • i5 4670k @ 4.7 Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8GB MSI 290X
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mb

pioneertrini,

The card we dispatched is brand new, but the warranty would continue from the original date of purchase.

Kind regards,

Thanks

Hi I received the card, the same problem is happening. Are you sure it was brand new? the manual looked messy like it was used. Are you sure MSI confirmed the same problem I told you guys about?

Thanks
    • Mick@SCAN's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC
      • CPU:
      • i5 4670k @ 4.7 Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8GB MSI 290X
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mb

pioneertrini,

When we received your graphics card our engineers were not able to replicate the issue, MSI agreed to replace the card for Scan so we sent you a new card from our stock to save you further downtime.

This would suggest that another component is causing the issues.

Kind regards,

Thanks

Hi, thanks for getting back to me Mick, I'm trying to think what it could be as I tested many things. I've looked and spoke to people online trying to find out what this problem could be. The response I get is to just RMA it, which we done. Is it possible that there's an incompatibility between the MSI R9 280x and the MSI Z87i Gaming motherboard? It sounds stupid to ask as the 2 are MSI and from there Gaming range. But any suggestions I will be grateful for because I spent like £1100 on this system and I'm gutted that is not running perfectly. I could probably RMA the motherboard but I would have to buy a replacement to use while its with you and I would stand to lose more money.

Thanks
    • Mick@SCAN's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC
      • CPU:
      • i5 4670k @ 4.7 Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8GB MSI 290X
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mb

pioneertrini,

Can you test the card inside another machine? Have you changed the monitor and cable during testing?
    I have not seen any instances of compatibility issues with these components.

Kind regards,

Thanks

Try MSI's Live Update utility to check for graphics card BIOS updates - I heard of a similar issue on another card a while back, where the screen would flicker when at or near idle, but not in games. Does that sound similar to your issue?

Edit: I think this is the card you're talking about, but double-check just in case. http://www.msi.com/support/vga/R9_28...tility&Win7 64

Thanks

Hi, Yeah it sounds familiar but mine does the flicker in games too. I done all the updates, messed around with different settings but still the same. I'm thinking it's an issue maybe with the motherboard or power supply? Unfortunately I'm not able to get another pc to test it on. Part of me is thinking to buy a motherboard just to try it.

my power supply is XFX pro650w xxx edition semi modular 80 plus bronze. I was assured by many people that this is easily enough power for what I'm running.

Thanks

Yeah that power supply is more than enough for your system provided it's not faulty in some way of course. I would avoid buying new stuff until you can narrow down the problem as you risk wasting money and giving yourself a headache realising the problem still exists after rebuilding your system.

That BIOS update is definitely something I would try though. Also use Driver Sweeper to completely remove the GPU drivers from your system, then install the latest stable drivers.

It could also be an issue external to your PC e.g. bad monitor cable/connection or failing monitor. If you have access to any, try a different cable/use different ports if available/try connecting to a different monitor or your TV for example, and see if the issue remains. Also, which video interface are you using?

Thanks

Yeah buying new parts is a last resort, I tried changing out cables and monitor/tvs before I RMA the GPU. Done the BIOS still no luck. I tried the driver sweeper and installed new latest drivers, it has slowed down the frequency of the jump/flicker but the problem is still there. By video interface do you mean like hdmi? thats what I'm using. problem is my monitor has hdmi and vga ports and my gpu has hdmi and dvi. Really weird problem as everything was fine for 6-8 weeks, I was thinking of maybe reinstalling windows 8? Thank you for your continued help mate I appreciate it.

Could it be something to do with a windows update maybe?
    Last edited by pioneertrini; 20-07-2014 at 12:08 PM.

Thanks

Well here's a couple more less likely things to check; try disabling spread-spectrum in BIOS, and double-check the monitor refresh rate is set correctly in Windows for your monitor.

And sorry to re-ask questions but just to be sure:
    The issue definitely still occurs when playing 3D games, with the GPU and memory held at full clocks?
    "" "" "" with other monitors and cables?

As both have potential solutions, but aside from starting to swap out hardware, I'm not too sure what to try next if this is the case, considering a replacement GPU didn't work and Scan couldn't replicate the issue.

If you have the time, and preferably a spare HDD to test in case it doesn't work, you could try testing it with a clean Windows install, just to rule out a load of software causes.

Thanks

The refresh is on 60, I can't find where to disable the spread-spectrum I believe it may have been taken out of the latest bios? It's been happening on games too, elder scrolls online, rome 2. It's happened on 3 screens I tried in game aswell as in windows. When you say full clocks do you mean over clocking? I have never touched anything to do with that as I don't now about it.

Thread Information