Thread: Graphics card returned - no fault found. Card is definitely faulty.

Thanks

Angry Graphics card returned - no fault found. Card is definitely faulty.

I'm going through a bit of a saga with this graphics card. I would ring up to sort this out but I don't really have the time to sit on hold, plus I think I can make the problem better understood in writing.

This all started way back before summer, when I returned my original 3GB MSI HD7950 TwinFrozr card because one of the fans was noisy. It went off to MSI, who sent me back a faulty 3GB MSI HD7950 TwinFrozr 'Boost Edition' card. This was verified as faulty by Scan. I recieved another MSI 7950 'Boost Edition' back. I believe this card is also faulty - I sent it back to Scan, who found no fault.

The basic issue with the card I currently have is when the card is placed under any kind of load (I've been testing it with Kombustor, as well as a few games), white squares will appear accross the screen, leading to a display driver crash. Generally after that the computer will become unresponsive and require a hard reset. I also often see this (picture below) on boot, which also requires a hard reset.

Scan kindly agreed to waive the £30 return charge (cheers guys) and I resolved to eliminate all of the other components in my system. I have done that, even going as far as replacing the motherboard. I sent the card back to Scan again last week and have just recieved another 'no fault' email.

I really want this sorted out because, fundimentally, all I want is a working graphics card. I'm sure at least a few people at Scan feel that this is an exceptional case. Would you be willing to replace the card as a goodwill gesture? What are my other options - another month long wait so it can go to MSI for testing?

My RMA is 341840.
    Last edited by Mark@SCAN; 13-10-2014 at 03:13 PM.

Scan Computers Technical/Returns Mark@SCAN's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Mark@SCAN's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS MAXIMUS VII GENE Z97
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790k @ 4.7ghz
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 2400MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1x 512GB Samsung SM951 NVME & 1x 4TB WD Caviar Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 980
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone SST-ST75F-G Strider 750w
      • Case:
      • SilverStone FT03B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • DELL U2711H
      • Internet:
      • SKY Fibre Unlimited

Re: Graphics card returned - no fault found. Card is definitely faulty.

Sorry to hear about the continued problems experienced with the card. Unfortunately we are unable to simply replace the card without having replicated the reported fault.

I have passed your details to a senior member of our testing department to have another look at the card this morning, we hope to have an update for you by the end of the day.

Regards

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark@SCAN View Post
    Sorry to hear about the continued problems experienced with the card. Unfortunately we are unable to simply replace the card without having replicated the reported fault.

I have passed your details to a senior member of our testing department to have another look at the card this morning, we hope to have an update for you by the end of the day.

Regards
    Thanks for the reply. I was able to reliably replicate the fault in an upright tower case. If the systems you use to test are breadboarded that might be why the card appears working.

Thanks
    • Mick@SCAN's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC
      • CPU:
      • i5 4670k @ 4.7 Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
      • Storage:
      • 120GB Samsung 840 / 2TB Seagate SATA III ST2000DM001 / 120GB Vertex Plus
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8GB MSI 290X
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Modular Infiniti 650Watt
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design ARC MIDI R2 Tower Case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama ProLite G2773HS-2
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mb

stationmaster,

I have tested the card for you and confirm that I was able to replicate the fault.

The fault was apparent during a clean install of the AMD driver, during the install the desktop flashed with white artifacts (snow like effect) and the display driver stopped responding.

Although the card appeared to function normally and actually rendered a 3D application when the display driver recovered, it clearly has a fault.

Please accept my apologies for the problems you have had with this card, Mark has authorised to exchange the card with an alternative model (brand new) from stock.

Please check your emails for further information.

Kind regards,

Thread Information