Thread: Delivery delays and item removed from website

sbt
    Thanks

Delivery delays and item removed from website

I ordered myself an Abit AN7 uGuru (Socket A) motherboard and some zalman thermal grease on the 24th of March (A Saturday), the website said that it was in stock and my confirmation e-mail told me that it was due to be delivered on the following Tuesday (The 27th). I was pretty glad, because I've got all the other components I need for my upgrade and I'm desperate to get everything up and running.

On the monday I got an e-mail that said my order was delayed becuase of a "temporary shortage in stock" for the motherboard and that the estimated lead date was the 2nd of April. I then got another e-mail the next day stating the same thing, except that the estimated lead date was now the 3rd of April.

I checked the website for the motherboard and saw that it said "Waiting for ETA from manufacturer" or words to that effect.

Although a little miffed, I was fine untill just now. I've just had a look on the scan website again to see if it says the same thing: and it doesn't say the same thing at all. In fact: the motherboard is no-longer listed at all!

What does this mean? Am I even going to get my motherboard? Do ABit even have any? Scan have taken my money already, so I certainly hope so!

I tried to call the support line but missed the closing time by about 5 minutes, so I figured I'd ask here to see if anyone else has had a similar problem.

My two main gripes are: the website said the motherboard was in stock. In this day and age, I would expect that if something is in stock and I click "buy", it should be reserved for me for at least 10 minutes untill I've put my payment details in.

And the other thing is: I'm not sure I like the idea that scan took my money BEFORE they checked if they even had the motherboard to send me. I'm prepared to let this go, but I think it's worth mentioning that it's not good business practice. Why should scan be gaining intrest off my money in return for providing nothing as of yet?

Well, I appologise for this little rant. I needed to vent it somewhere. I'll call Scan on Monday to see what's going on. Hopefully I'm still going to be recieving my order: becuase I can't find anywhere else that stocks them.

sbt
    Thanks
    Well, I called Scan today.

I explained the situation and they said that they didn't have any in stock and were unable to source one. I've cancled my order to get my money back.

Ok, so there was an error with the stock system that made it say they had one in stock. I can deal with that. But when were Scan planning on telling me this? I had to call them to find out what was going on. They've had my money for nearly 10 days and I've had nothing out of it. Ok, so I was given the option of changing the motherboard for something else, but the only other Socket A motherboard they have 'in stock' only has two PCI slots and doesn't support DDR 400 and doesn't support a 400mhz FSB (It does support the 400mhz FSB according to scan, but it doesn't according to the manufacturer). I'd have to fork out for some (slower) DDR 333 and a new (also slower) processor in order to use it. Not to mention use only two of my PCI cards.

So the last question is: anyone know where I can get an ABit AN7, or a socket A motherboard that supports 400mhz FSBs, DDR400, AGP 8x and has 4 or more PCI slots?

To end on a good note: I would like to thank Scan for offering me free carriage on my next order. It's a nice gesture, albeit not one that gets my computer running.
    Last edited by sbt; 02-04-2007 at 01:29 PM.

Thanks
    Your nest chances of getting a socket a board are going to be second hand stuff from friends or ebay. There may be a few retailers that have them but not many and you could be paying over the odds for it.

Thanks
    • Giraffe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 5675C, S 1150, Broadwell, Quad Core, 3.1GHz, 3.6GHz Turbo
      • Memory:
      • Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1600, 4GB
      • Storage:
      • 512GB Samsung SSD, 850 Pro, SATA 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Integrated
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic S12G 450W 80+ Gold
      • Case:
      • Antec P100
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro, 32-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2415, 24", 16:10
      • Internet:
      • TP-Link modem-router; 3mbps sync.
    Quote Originally Posted by sbt View Post
    Well, I called Scan today.

So the last question is: anyone know where I can get an ABit AN7, or a socket A motherboard that supports 400mhz FSBs, DDR400, AGP 8x and has 4 or more PCI slots?
    Your best bet ia Asrock - DualVSTA perhaps,

Peter.
    Last edited by Chris P; 03-04-2007 at 02:49 PM. Reason: advertsing elsewhere
    PeterC

Political lubricant:

Rocket WMD45

Thanks
    sbt

I understand you have already cancelled the order, however please could you PM me the invoice number as I would like to look into why you had not been contacted regarding the stock delay and why the web site shows the items as in stock.

Best Regards

sbt
    Thanks
    Thanks, ChrisP

I've sent you a PM.

I'm still on the socket A hunt.

Thanks
    i know Dabs do the ASRock Socket A board

http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx...1143,404820000 £30.16 inc VAT

as do Novatech

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/p...x1y0z1p0s0n0m0 £32.90 inc VAT

and Ebuyer

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/searc...ubcat_uid=1944 £26.16 inc VAT

from all accounts a very stable board - if your looking for Abit/Asus etc then i guess you'd have to go second hand
    Last edited by johnny02004976; 09-04-2007 at 10:06 AM.
    Contrary to the odd name and translucent-grey color, Pocari Sweat does not taste like sweat
    Hardware:

Main PC
    - See 'My System'
    Server - Athlon XP 1700+, 1GB, 500GB HD
    Laptop - Compaq AMD Turion 64 X2, 60GB HD, 1GB
    Media Centre Shuttle - P4 3.0 Skt 775 Shuttle, 1GB, 120GB HD
    NAS - 400GB
    Home Entertainment - Xbox 360 with 37" HD LCD TV, Acoustic Energy Aegis EVO A speakers (5,1), Yamaha RXV359 AV reciever
    Media Centre II - X2 4000+, 1GB, 400Gb Vista Ultimate

Thanks
    sbt

Thanks - I am sure I can find you one hiding in the warehouse crying out to be used

sbt
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    sbt

Thanks - I am sure I can find you one hiding in the warehouse crying out to be used

Thank you so much!

That would be great!

Thread Information