Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Replacement Freezer 7 Pro Push Pin?

Thanks

Re: Replacement Freezer 7 Pro Push Pin?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee @ SCAN View Post
    I would recommend the thermalright kit that has been suggested by luckyNV up near the top.

First thing I did was removed the push-pins on my freezer 7 cooler and replaced them with the bolt-through kit when building my Q6600 based rig. Not only is it a better connection, it's also a more firmer fitting and has helped lower my temps by a few degrees.

My Rig is also moved quite a bit from place to place and having the bolt-through kit on it ensures that the cooler doesn't move during this as there is nothing worse than getting to a LAN or similar only to find that your coolers come loose on the drive down.

As for taking them off, I just grabbed 2 pairs of pliars and held each end securely and twisted them while I pulled and they easily came off. I dunno why but I have an inherant fear of push-pins as I've had to fix too many LGA775 rigs where push-pins have come out over time, or where the user has tried to clean their PC, removed the CPU cooler to get rid of all the fluff and then found they've damaged the pins.
    im hoping you might be able to help as this was the only useful post i found about doing this after trawling the net for hours....

Thanks
    • LuckyNV's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI GD65
      • CPU:
      • i5 750 w/ Thermalright Ultra120X
      • Memory:
      • 2x2GB DDR3-1600 Cas7
      • Storage:
      • 640GB.AAKS, 2xSamsung F1 1TB, 2xSamsung 64GB SLC SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire HD6870 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF-932
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG W2286L
      • Internet:
      • Be* Unlimited@21Mbps w/ Draytek 2710n

You only need to use the 4 bolts and the backplate, you don't use the Thermalright bracket.

Fit diagonal corners first, my advice is to loosely fit 1 corner, then loosely fit the opposite diagonal corner, then fit the other corners. If you fully tighten 1 corner first you are not going to have any ability to shift the cooler slightly so the other corners fit.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyNV View Post
    You only need to use the 4 bolts and the backplate, you don't use the Thermalright bracket.

Fit diagonal corners first, my advice is to loosely fit 1 corner, then loosely fit the opposite diagonal corner, then fit the other corners. If you fully tighten 1 corner first you are not going to have any ability to shift the cooler slightly so the other corners fit.
    perfect thanks! i originally thought this was the only way it would work with the cooler but just needed reassurance.

temps with my q6600 are idling at 28 degrees so no problems there!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyNV View Post

Good advice, indeed fully tightening one corner alone may also damage the heat sink base, the cpu and/or heat spreader.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information