Thread: ASUS P5E3 Deluxe memory question

Thanks

ASUS P5E3 Deluxe memory question

I'm looking into getting this mb...built many a computer in the past but it's been a few years and all the different memory types/etc./etc. are starting to get confusing...

So...I am planning on getting this MB with a QX9770 and use Corsair XMS3 1600 Mhz memory.

I am planning on using this with XP SP3...so I know I'm really limited to 3 Gigs of memory...I don't want to waste money.

I looked at the QVL PDF and even it is somewhat confusing. It says I can use two of the chips in dual channel. It says I can use 1 chip in single channel.

Can I do both? Can I put in a dual channel set as well as one more to give me 3 Gigs?

What I find most strange is even though the board has 4 slots this PDF almost seems to be saying you can't use all 4 which confounds me:

Supports 4 modules inserted into both the orange and black slots as two pairs of Dual-channel memory configuration

is set to N/A.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    • atmadden's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI P35 Neo2 FR
      • CPU:
      • QX9650@4.2ghz 420x10
      • Memory:
      • Crucial Ballisitix PC5300 C3@840 4 4 4 12
      • Storage:
      • Maxtor 250gb SATA
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 8800GTS OC 512mb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620

Re: ASUS P5E3 Deluxe memory question

Quote Originally Posted by tomservo View Post
    I'm looking into getting this mb...built many a computer in the past but it's been a few years and all the different memory types/etc./etc. are starting to get confusing...

So...I am planning on getting this MB with a QX9770 and use Corsair XMS3 1600 Mhz memory.

I am planning on using this with XP SP3...so I know I'm really limited to 3 Gigs of memory...I don't want to waste money.

I looked at the QVL PDF and even it is somewhat confusing. It says I can use two of the chips in dual channel. It says I can use 1 chip in single channel.

Can I do both? Can I put in a dual channel set as well as one more to give me 3 Gigs?

What I find most strange is even though the board has 4 slots this PDF almost seems to be saying you can't use all 4 which confounds me:

Supports 4 modules inserted into both the orange and black slots as two pairs of Dual-channel memory configuration

is set to N/A.

Any help would be appreciated.
    If you don't want to waste money for a start you can save £500 on the cpu by getting a new oem QX9650 off ebay for around £400. If you only plan to run at stock you can just put the settings in manually the same as the QX9770.
    Core i7 860 @ 4ghz
    MSI P55 GD65 4gb Gskill Ripjaw 2xAsus 5770 1003/5600 Corsair HX620 psu http://trust.hexus.net/user_profile.php?user=10950

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by atmadden View Post
    If you don't want to waste money for a start you can save £500 on the cpu by getting a new oem QX9650 off ebay for around £400. If you only plan to run at stock you can just put the settings in manually the same as the QX9770.
    Okay...and that makes sense. I will probably do just that. However, I still need my main question about 3 Gigs of memory answered.

Or...should I just go with 2? Is there enough difference between 2G and 3G with XP to make it worthwhile?

Registered+
    Thanks

I would say that 2 gig running in dual channel mode will be absolutely fine and arguably faster than 3 gig in single channel.
    Last edited by kinetic; 08-06-2008 at 10:22 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kinetic View Post
    I would say that 2 gig running in dual channel mode wil be absolutely fine and arguably faster than 3 gig in single channel.
    Thanks...guess I should have read up on what exactly dual-channel was before posting, eh? (I have now and understand). Will go for the 2 gigs. Thanks a ton.

Thanks
    • geekbloke's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5E3 DELUXE
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 SLACR (2.4GHz 1066MHz)
      • Memory:
      • Corsair TWIN3X 1333MHz DDR3 2GB
      • Storage:
      • 75gb Raptor, 150gb Raptor & 750gb WD Sata Drive.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX 8800GTX 768Mb PCI-E
      • PSU:
      • CORSAIR HX 620W MODULAR PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec P160
      • Monitor(s):
      • 21" Dell P1110 "gaming @ 1600x1200 @ 85hz"
      • Internet:
      • 20MB Virginmedia Cable.

The manual that came with the MB wasnt correct in stating dimm b1 & b2 for dual channel.
    The latest manual downloaded from the asus website corrects this, its the orange pair of slots A1 & B1, bear that in mind if only using a single pair.

Thread Information