Thread: scans return policy?

Thanks

scans return policy?

Hi I bought a ATI XFX 4850 on the 23rd of march (just over 2 weeks ago) and my 4850 crashes my whole system when ever at full loads on games like crysis and some times tf2, so i was wondering could i get a refund for my 4850 and buy a 4890 from scan? or would they just send me a replacement? thanks for the help.

NOT Banned
    Thanks

Re: scans return policy?

Quote Originally Posted by eddie benton View Post
    Hi I bought a ATI XFX 4850 on the 23rd of march (just over 2 weeks ago) and my 4850 crashes my whole system when ever at full loads on games like crysis and some times tf2, so i was wondering could i get a refund for my 4850 and buy a 4890 from scan? or would they just send me a replacement? thanks for the help.
    I think if they find it faulty, it's still within 28 days so you can get a full refund. After the 28 days you can't get a refund but replacement/repair.

Thanks

What PSU do you have? You might look at getting a new higher rated PSU as well. That is possibly the reason your PC is crashing a lot with the new card drawing more power than yours can handle, as you say its only happening on high loads.

Thanks

i have an 750W psu

i have tested my xfx 4850 in my spare computer, same problems

NOT Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eddie benton View Post
    i have an 750W psu

i have tested my xfx 4850 in my spare computer, same problems
    Well if you're positive its the GPU then RMA it and put a note in that you'd like a refund and then when you get it buy your new card. But remember if it's all fine at Scan then you'd be charged a NFF fee. Also it being XFX there may be more procedures after Scan has tested it

Thanks

In another thread recently I read they (Scan) said its sent directly to XFX now, so it could take a couple of weeks after Scan receive it. Then depending on what XFX say it may push you out of the 28 day window, you should get a Scan opinion on that just in case.

NOT Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabbid View Post
    In another thread recently I read they (Scan) said its sent directly to XFX now, so it could take a couple of weeks after Scan receive it. Then depending on what XFX say it may push you out of the 28 day window, you should get a Scan opinion on that just in case.
    Doesn't it still count if you intiate the RMA within the 28 days?

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moogle View Post
    Well, the policy says if you "returned" the goods within 28 days. My guess would be that if you notified them and then returned the goods pretty promptly, but it happened to slightly overrun 28 days, there'd be some leeway. On the other hand, if someone notofied them within 28 days, and then tried to actually return the goods two years later, I guess they'd be unlucky.

But if the goods have gone back within time, then it shouldn't matter that it took a week or two for XFX to make their mind up. I can't see Scan refusing a refund on faulty goods that were returned within 28 days but where it took 35 days for XFX to decide. At least, I sure hope not and that is, of course, just my opinion.

But that 28 day refund policy does apply to defective goods. If there isn't a fault, they might take them back, subject to condition, and perhaps tp a restocking fee.

As for the OP, it's a shame you didn't act just a little a bit quicker. Within the first 7 working days, starting the day after delivery, your DSR rights would have made a difference. I haven't worked it out, but I'd guess you just missed out, though "working" days excludes weekends and bank holidays.

NOT Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    On the other hand, if someone notofied them within 28 days, and then tried to actually return the goods two years later, I guess they'd be unlucky.
    Well yes I know Just my bad wording. Like you said, I meant if you initiate an RMA and send it to them and they receive it within the 28 days.

Would be bad if the time that XFX has it counts as well. All the more reason to have the retailer do testing.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Would be bad if the time that XFX has it counts as well. All the more reason to have the retailer do testing.
    Well, perhaps. But bear in mind that this is Scan's optional additional warranty service we're talking about. Nothing they do affects the consumer's statutory rights, so really, anything you get on top of that can only be a benefit. And given that, if Scan require and expert opinion from XFX, which realistically is likely to be a far more qualified opinion on XFX boards than anything they're likely to be able to provide in-house, then it seems fair enough.

Scan don't have to offer this sort of thing at all. They could just let the consumer rely on consumer rights. But given that they go further than they need to, it's really up to them to determine how to protect themselves against abuses, and how to provide that extra cover.

And, as their T&Cs specify, the consumer can always opt out of the extra cover if they wish, and if they do, XFX's opinion will carry a lot less weight, if any weight at all, because they're far from a disinterested party, and not directly a party to the contract anyway..

Thanks

That's what I thought the OP should get clarified.
    So long as XFX deem it faulty I think its not as issue. In cases where they dispute or simply cannot find a fault then things may get more complicated.

Thread Information