Thread: Delayed order :(

Thanks

Delayed order :(

As I mentioned in another thread here I made a special effort this week to research my new computer purchase and order it in time to get delivery before the bank holiday weekend.
    I've never built a computer before, and though I don't think it looks impossible, if it went wrong, or took longer than anticipated I'd have three full days to work on it before I have to go back to work. If it went well then I'd have all that time to use my new machine, test it out and set it up.

I missed Friday delivery by the smallest of margins, I'd delayed too long in ordering, but I was dead set on my plan, so I was happy to pay extra for Saturday delivery. You'd run out of the RAM that I needed so I specially ordered that from another site, but the rest I got from you. I carefully chose my components from the stuff that you said you had in stock. I wanted the 1.5 Tb Seagate, not the 1 Tb version, but there weren't any in stock, so I opted for the smaller drive, because I wanted it this weekend and I was willing to make sacrifices to achieve that.

I just want to emphasise how set on this plan I was. When I realised today that I had forgotten to buy a wireless card I made sure people would be in the house for an hour, since I definitely didn't want to miss the delivery, rushed out to the nearest computer shop and came straight back to carry on preparing. I'd have gone again if I'd remembered something else vital, I'd worked hard on this, a little more effort was well worth it if it paid off.

Anyway, yesterday, I went through the checkout and paid, success, no problems, no notifications. All components were in stock.

Then today I busy myself preparing for the delivery, setting everything up, only to find that delivery's been delayed because you don't have my i7 860 in stock! If I'd known that when I ordered I'd have willingly upgraded to an i7 930 and bought a more expensive motherboard, since I was so set on getting it today. (And the 930's a tempting chip )

How is it possible to go through the ordering process only to find out later that it's not in stock? Surely you have an electronic record of your stock? You sell computer components, you must have the technical skill to set it up so that at the point of purchase just after someone enters all their card details and clicks 'confirm purchase', the system contacts your electronic record of what's in stock, checks for the number of items in stock, and deducts 1 from the number available, but returns a "Item out of stock error. Continue with purchase?" window if the number is 0.
    If your system had done that I would definitely not have chosen to buy that, I would have changed my order, or got that one component from somewhere else.

I got all my other deliveries today. The RAM from Dabs arrived, it was in stock and when I bought it there was a counter on the side that said how many were left in stock!
    I didn't want to order the RAM from them, I would have preferred to get it all from one place in one order, but I had to to get it all by Saturday. Now I wish I'd ordered it all from them. At least then I might have received what I ordered, or been informed that it wasn't in stock before you accepted my order

So I'm left extremely frustrated, with a couple of useless components, knowing that instead of three full days when I'm entirely rested and ready to focus on learning how to build a computer I'm going to have to build it in the evening after working all day, or leave it till next weekend which would entirely defeat the point of all those hours I put into getting it researched and ordered on time!
    Last edited by EnderDace; 29-08-2010 at 01:37 AM.

Thanks

Re: Scan screwed my order and ruined my bank holiday weekend plans.

I have to agree that what you have experienced must be very annoying. However, I do appreciate that for Scan's database to be accurate they need to have procedures that don't allow someone to simply pick an item from the shelf to satisfy a customer at the counter.

Maybe they have those procedures and the stock level was entered incorrectly, this can and, in your case has happened.

Pity the physical picker didn't email or phone to ask your alternate preference.

Thermoelectroceramicist redddraggon's Avatar
    Thanks
    • redddraggon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X58A-UD3R (rev2)
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 930
      • Memory:
      • 3x2GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • Corsair F60 SSD & 2x WD Caviar Green2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2 x ATI Radeon HD5870 1GB in CrossFireX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 650TX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 24" + LG 22"
      • Internet:
      • JANET

Re: Delayed order :(

I had a similar issue on Wednesday, everything I ordered was "in stock", and I had ordered early that morning, so I was sure that it'd come on Thursday.

During the day (around noon) I noticed the GFX card had changed status to out of stock, so I thought I had got lucky and got the last card. However I received an email at 1930 saying an item was OOS and so the order was delayed. I was mightily annoyed as I had arranged for some one to be in on the Thursday, and 1930 was too late to adjust the order for delivery on Thursday as planned.

Thread Information