Thread: Mobo Problem.

Thanks

Exclamation Mobo Problem.

So, in my infinite wisdom i attempted to update my BIOS with MSIs Live Update program... All seemed to go according to plan and now my computer starts up beeps once and brings me to the windows repair screen. My mobo is a MSI P67A-C45, so do i need a new Mobo or is there a way of resetting the BIOS or am i just screwed?

I should also have said it is a Scan built PC so...

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by CallumETC; 07-02-2012 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Left out some info...

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Mobo Problem.

What I would say to you is to go through the Windows repair section and see whether or not Windows finds anything to repair.

Also, if you're updating your BIOS I'd generally recommend not using any kind of 'live update' software or similar, I feel that a bootable USB stick is a much safer and better way of doing so.

And one more thing, I wouldn't trust the MSI Live update, I don't think it picked up what my board is correctly

Thanks
    • Richh's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ROG Maximus VIII Hero
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 8700K delid, H115i Platinum
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Dominator GT 3200
      • Storage:
      • Loads
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX970 FTW+
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX860i
      • Case:
      • Custom open frame
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 Pro x64 / occasionally Win 7 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • ROG Swift PG279Q, Sony 48A9

Re: Mobo Problem.

Callum, from what you've described we can draw a couple of conclusions:

Firstly, if your system goes to the Windows Repair screen, we know that the motherboard is POSTing, and this in turn suggests that whatever update you applied did complete successfully.

Secondly, if we know it will POST but won't load Windows, the likeliest reason is that the LiveUpdate utility has updated your BIOS, reset the CMOS in the process, and something about the new default settings the system is now running on is confusing the OS.

The likeliest causal issue for something like that is that your system was originally configured with the hard disk controller in AHCI or RAID modes, while it has now defaulted back to IDE mode. Before you go any further, check that - try the controller in different modes and see if this will get the OS loaded. Phone Scan if need be and find out if there were any non-default BIOS configuration changes and then check to ensure it's still set up the same way.

What 56kbs says is fair enough in principle - directly downloading the BIOS update for your board and using a BIOS integrated or command line updater is usually a "safer" bet, but from what you've described so far, it doesn't sound as though that's a causal factor in the problem you're reporting. If it does turn out that the CMOS reset is responsible for the boot failure, you would be in the same boat no matter how you'd updated.
    Last edited by Richh; 17-02-2012 at 07:41 PM.
    BH6, BX6 2.0, BE6, BE6-II 2.0, ST6-RAID, BE6-II 2.0 (again), BD7-RAID, BD7II-RAID, IC7-G, IC7 Max3, AB9 QuadGT, IX38 QuadGT. IX58... Oh, b*ll*cks. RIP Abit

4. Received thanks from:

Apex (18-02-2012),Millennium (17-02-2012)

Thread Information