Thread: Scan dumbs down the 3XS - why?

Registered+
    Thanks

Scan dumbs down the 3XS - why?

i just wandered onto the 3xs website. to my unpleasant surprise the Corsair PC8500 memory is no longer available as an option.

Why?

tests every where have shown that this type of memory definitely improves performance esp in games.

sure not every one wants it or needs it but the option to have it in a prebuilt system should not have been removed.

Can scan explain their decision?

Thanks
    Please can you confirm, which system you have been looking at.

I can see no reason, however I will speak to the guys that configure the site tomorrow and update this thread

Regards
    Last edited by Chris P; 18-09-2006 at 08:19 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks
    http://3xs.scan.co.uk/ConfigureSystem.asp?SystemID=487

the option for Corsair PC 8500 is no longer there

Thanks
    The Asus NF4 board used in this system will not work with the PC8500 memory, therefore our System build dept requested this to be removed

The new NF5 chipset boards will support the 8500 memory listed here

http://3xs.scan.co.uk/ConfigureSystem.asp?SystemID=548

Regards

Registered+
    Thanks
    http://3xs.scan.co.uk/ConfigureSystem.asp?SystemID=487

3xs recommended base specification - The components choosen below are a fixed specification that cannot be changed. The 3xs team have verified these to be the best all round hardware for the intended use.
    3XS Intel High End Intel® Core™2 Duo
    **3XS-CORE DUO HIGH END SYSTEM** Asus P5W DH Deluxe WiFi S775 i975X, S775, PCI-E (x16), DDR2 800, SATA I / II, SATA RAID, ATX
    580w Tagan EasyCon - TG580-U15 - 2Force Silent Modular PSU 120mm Akasa Amber Case Fan, 3 Pin, 2 Ball Bearing , Ultra Quiet and Long life
    50cm 3XS Round ATA133 Certified IDE Cable 50cm 3XS Round Floppy Drive Cable Certified
    Scan 3XS System - 1year Onsite Warranty (Mainland UK) Ahead Nero Express Burning ROM Suite 1 6.6.x
    45cm Akasa Serial ATA Cable ATA150 Scan System Configuration

the system in question has th asus p5w dh deluxe which is intel 975 based.

this system was configuarable with PC8500 memory till a few days ago on the website; i had also phoned scan and this option was available.

it has now been taken off.

Thanks
    The Asus NF4 board used in this system will not work with the PC8500 memory, therefore our System build dept requested this to be removed
    Yes the PC 8500 memory was originally used as this was considered the best spec memory to give the best performance.

The 8500 memory was them found to be unexpectidly incompatible, this is the reason this option was then removed.

The NF5 system would be the best option if you wish to use the PC 8500 memory.

Regards
    Last edited by Chris P; 19-09-2006 at 09:34 PM.

Thanks
    Psionic Wibbly points out the Asus P5W uses the Intel i975X chip does the PC 8500 memory have compatibility issues with the Nvidia NF4 chip AND Intel i975X or just an issue with the i975X?

Thanks
    We have not tested the memory with every board using these chipsets. Only this particular board so unfortunately I cannot answer this question. I presume it is only a compatibility issue with this specific board.

Maybe Corsair could confirm this as they specifically test memory with certain chipsets.

Regards
    Last edited by Chris P; 19-09-2006 at 10:23 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    Yes the PC 8500 memory was originally used as this was considered the best spec memory to give the best performance.

The 8500 memory was them found to be unexpectidly incompatible, this is the reason this option was then removed.

The NF5 system would be the best option if you wish to use the PC 8500 memory.

Regards
    I'm reluctant to accept that PC8500 memory does not work with ASUS P5W DH i975X mainboard.

Hexus had done a great review of this board using Corsair PC8500 memory.

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=6427&page=1

I'm reluctant to consider a system based on The NF5 as there are no reviews out as yet.
    Last edited by Psionic Wibbly; 19-09-2006 at 11:33 PM.

Thanks
    Our System build dept will post for of a technical explanation why the 1066Mhz memory will not work in this board.

From the review you have posted the memory used was 800Mhz not the 1066Mhz memory, unless I have missed something ?

Peter the Painter should reply soon for you.

Regards
    Last edited by Chris P; 20-09-2006 at 09:29 AM.

Registered+
    Thanks

Im using p5w dh Deluxe and Corsair 1066 memory

Our System build dept will post for of a technical explanation why the 1066Mhz memory will not work in this board.

From the review you have posted the memory used was 800Mhz not the 1066Mhz memory, unless I have missed something ?

Regards
    Guys this is really useful information to share and it would be great if we can get a technical answer.
    please can you confirm what the problem is with the p5wdh deluxe and pc8500 1066mhgz memory. I have just finished building this config and am using a 1GB twinx kit 5-5-5-15 set at 2.1 volts (as recommended by corsair) on a p5wdh deluxe board.
    The Asus bios is now version 1406. Starting with bios rev 1301 asus introduced 1067mhz memory timing. As I am in a position of building 2 systems on this board I also have the p5wdh deluxe and the corsair pc 64000 DDR2 800mhz twin x 4-4-4-12 kit 1GB. This one seams to cause a lot of boot problems when the motherboard will occasionally not post and am considering changing this to the 1066 one pending your answers.

Additionally i have come across an asus issue on both memory speeds where occasionally the motherboard will boot and before it loads the OS it will display the configuration. to see this you need to set quick boot to disable. Here the board thinks its got 16 firewire ports. when in fact there is only 1 and its disabled. To fix this you need to change the DRAM memory timing in the bios to a lower settting or auto, exit and save then go into the bios and put it back to the correct Dram setting. Note i have opened an issue with asus and they sent me bios 1406 to try but this did not fix this problem and this problem happens on 800mhz kit and 1066mhz kit.
    I have submitted all info to asus am currently waiting for a reply.

SCAN Computers Pete the Painter's Avatar
    Thanks

Regards
    This is the current situation regarding the memory issue.

Corsair 1066Mhz Memory is compatible with this board to a certain extent. To be honest we used it in our Rhino DreamPC system and we found it to be great, it's just that in certain circumstances it throws up errors in memtest.

The actual reason for it be removed from 3XS systems is because we have tried setting the memory speed manually to run at 1066Mhz with a default cpu fsb setting of 266Mhz however with this setting the system throws up errors in memtest virtually straight away.

Having spoken to Corsair and Intel regarding this issue this is what we have been told..."The maximum memory speed supported by i975X is PC6400" Anything over 800Mhz on a 975 motherboard is a bonus and is possible by tweaks carried out on the motherboard.

Upon hearing this information we have tested the motherboard and memory at different settings and have found the memory/system to be stable at settings higher than 800Mhz but not totally stable at 1066Mhz.

The benefit of purchasing 1066Mhz rated memory not only allows for headroom in overclocking but also as most enthusiasts upgrade quite regular it means you have great memory which can be utilised to its fullest extent on other chipsets.

This situation may improve as Asus are constantly working on new bios updates etc and hopefully a speed of 1066Mhz may be achieved in the future.

I hope this clarifys the issue and we will be replacing the 8500 memory option on our 3XS systems however they will be shipped at our tested setting of 800Mhz unless it is a pre-overclocked 3XS system.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Peter thanks for this info this is so usefull you should put on the scan website.

1)Have you seen any p5wdh boards show an error where 16 firewire controllers show up in post checks before running the o.s?

I have tracked this problem down to the Dram speed setting (eg ddr-2 800mhz)and the workaroud is to change the speed of the dram to auto or another speed reboot and then put it back again. I am still waiting on asus to reply

2) do you use the Corsair twinx 1gb pc 6400 4-4-4-12 kit in this board and what settings do you use?

3) do you ever have problems when the system is off for a while that you power it on and then it does nothing but on pressing the reset button all starts normally with no errors?
    Last edited by julian.day17; 28-09-2006 at 01:16 PM. Reason: spelling

Thread Information