Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beware Ebuyer's £150 Canon PixmaMP780 all-in-one offer. It doesn't print to CD/DVD!

king of breakfast food
    Thanks
    mate ebuyer will sort you fine just keep on your toes, i ordered a 3500 winchester at beginning of year and received a newcastle

i mailed them by enote or whatever and they sent a courier to pick teh chip up free of charge, they then emailed me to tell me my payment has been refunded, but the cheeky gets didnt refund the shipping, so i mailed them and said where is my shipping charge that i am entitled too, which they promptly refunded no questions

so like said, keep on your toes and you will be fine, overall turn around time for me 2 weeks (not great but 4x faster than dabs on my xtpe rma, yes 8 weeks from rma request to refund) )

Thanks
    Just received an email from ebuyer saying that the company will refund me for the printer (the one delivered) but that I need to call the support line to sort out the collection.

NOT looking forward to trying to do THAT.

Bob C

Thanks
    I now believe, with some degree of certainty, that it's not possible to get the US-spec model of the Pixma MP780 to print to CDs/DVDs simply by acquiring a disc tray and installing the UK (or, rather, a non-US) Canon software package.

It may well be that the mechanics are there inside the printer but that's irrelevant since, seemingly, the firmware on the US-sourced printer is set up in such a way that it informs software that it can't print directly to disc

The two programs that come with the UK (and Australian) software packages and have the ability to print directly to disc are Easy-PhotoPrint and CD-LabelPrint.

Here's what happened when I tried these two programs:

* The UK version of the Easy-PhotoPrint program - just like the US version - isn't able to select the CD disc tray. So the option shown below (taken from the UK manual), to pick the disc tray as the "Paper source", isn't available in the list in the drop down menu.

And,

* The CD-LabelPrint program (not supplied with the US printer) shows the following warning on start up about no compatible printer being found.

I've tried this under Win XP Pro and Win 98SE and the results are the same.

And I've also tried it on a PC on which only UK software was installed

I also bought a CD tray, as well as the software, and putting this in isn't the magic bullet needed to get the two programs to believe they can print direct to disc.

So, although Ebuyer's price for the Pixma PM780 might superficially seem very seem keen, it is, indeed, a mug's eyeful.

Buying the US model from Ebuyer and then getting hold of the software and a tray might in total be cheaper than buying a UK-spec model but the money spent on software and tray would be wasted because these items do not bring up a PM780 fully to the UK spec.

Bob C (who just HAD to know whether this was possible - as well as wanting to be able to tell you)

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks
    use the enotes as cleverly as you can.

for the pickup send a list of times over 5 working days your able to allow pickup, that will seriously speed things up.

I found the personal touch of a letter sent via recorded delivery threatening to take them to small claims does the trick. some 35 days later, when you ring them up to find out whats happening, they find the letter (un-opened? i had no idea) but then they sudenly pull their finger out and do the right thing.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks
    i ordered an epson Photo R300 from ebuyer and i recived an R200 instead i phoned them up ( had to wait about 5 mins) talked to a nice girl that aranged collection of the R200 and offered me a refund or the R300 that i originaly wanted i took the 300 it was sorted out in 4 or 5 days.
    my advice is call them up and talk to somebody and get it sorted that way instead of trying to mod it lol

Thanks
    Just watch for them a) answering a different question to the one you ask (one which they'd rather you asked), b) using the useless/irrelevant answer to close the eNote or c) simply ignore your eNote. Joy oh joy. The general concensus is true - cheap when all goes well, but forget CS if it doesn't.

Thanks
    Thats totally right m8, the US models dont have CD/DVD printing on them. This is due to US patent laws. Has been like that for ages
    To be honest iv seen online retailers try to pull stunts liek this many times before i.e. advertise a slightly inferrior or cut down model without fully explaning differences or even using the other models technical info.
    From past experience Ebuyer are fine if the order goes well. Otherwise they can be a pain as they arent very forgiving. BUt your well within your irghts here. They didnt sell you what was advertised.
    I tend to stay away from Ebuyer as far as possible, as they let me down more than onve and teh same goes for a few friends of mine. They rarely have such special prices that cant be found elsewhere if you look hard enough. And even when they do, its not by enough to warrant the possible grief that may ensue.
    Last edited by jamadaia; 03-09-2005 at 05:03 PM.
    hexus rating
    ebay rating

AMD A8-5400K 3.6@4.0| ASRock A75M| HD7750| 4GB DDR3| Lian Li| Tagan 480W| 2405FPW TFT

Technojunkie
    Thanks
    I have an ip4000 and the only software I use to print CDs is PaintShopPro.

I just use the following as offsets in PSP:

8mm left
    88mm top

then set source: CD tray in the printer driver.

Anyway there is a workaround for the CDR printing problem on US models:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...m_id=40&page=3

HERE IS WHAT YOU NEED:

Five easy steps to enable the Canon USA models to print directly to CD or DVD
    http://pixma.cjb.net/
    Last edited by mikerr; 08-09-2005 at 03:04 PM.

Thanks
    Mike,

Stupidly, I totally missed your posting and only discovered it when I returned here a moment ago to post the very information about links you've included that allow users to turn on direct-to-disc printing on the US-spec MP780 and other models in the range.

D'oh!

Great posting of yours, mind - but would be even better if you could tell us a bit more about how you judge what's "good-to-print" from within PSP.

Have you, for instance, created any sort of template into which you bring the stuff you want to print directly to disc?

Bob C

Quote Originally Posted by mikerr
    I have an ip4000 and the only software I use to print CDs is PaintShopPro.

I just use the following as offsets in PSP:

8mm left
    88mm top

then set source: CD tray in the printer driver.

Anyway there is a workaround for the CDR printing problem on US models:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...m_id=40&page=3

HERE IS WHAT YOU NEED:

Five easy steps to enable the Canon USA models to print directly to CD or DVD
    http://pixma.cjb.net/
    Last edited by Bob Crabtree; 20-09-2005 at 01:55 AM.

Thanks
    I got a direct number from someone calling me back from Ebuyer a while ago and forgetting to dial in 141. So, for all who are interesed, this number is:

0114 2016965

got this off another post might be worth a try to anybody else who has problems with ebuyer.

I must admit that in my experience the only problem with ebuyer is if you are in a rush enotes do get answered can take up to a week..yeah I know but they just can't get the staff to keep up with the demand that there prices cause.

When they do answer an enote they usually arrange free pick up of your faulty item.

But as above if they have falsely described an item then you are within your rights for a full refund...but it may take a while

Thanks
    Thanks for that.

The printer was collected yesterday by ebuyer's courier, so now wait to see how long the refund will take, and whether or not I get all monies back immediately.

Bob

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information