Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Review:: Crysis - PC

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Review:: Crysis - PC

Well the most anticipated shooter of the year is here! Yes, we've put Crysis through it's paces and you know what? It might not be everything that the pre-release hype said it would be...
    Read more.

Thanks
    • chuckskull's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • 3570k @ 4.7 - H100i
      • Memory:
      • 32GB XMS3 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 850 Pro + 3TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980Ti Classified
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12 700W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus VG278HE
      • Internet:
      • FTTC

Re: Crysis - PC

Loving it so far, runs better than the demo, but still a bit iffy in places, then again there were parts I was completely amazed there was no slowdown.

Only thing that really bugged me so far; I walked into a wheelbarrow and died, not saved in a while. Still really engrossing and absolutely gorgeous.

Thanks

For sure, when it's all running Crysis is an masterpiece of gaming... but there's no rose tinted glasses being worn for this review... and Crysis most definitely needed more development time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Out of the Loop
    Thanks
    • vrykyl's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG X570 Strix-E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3900 @ 4.5ghz 1.28v (Noctua DH15)
      • Memory:
      • 32gb (2x16gb) Crucial Ballistix 3200mhz @ 3800mhz 1.35v
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Corsair MP600 NVME, 256gb Samsung Evo, 4tb WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC 10gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX 860w + White Braided Cables
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T White Limited Edition (Soundproofed)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 49" CRG9 Ultrawide 5120x1440 @ 120hz
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet 80mb fibre (80/20)

You forgot to mention that the ending is a big piece of suck tho I will say no more, but I was all fired up and enjoying myself, then the credits rolled and I was at first confused and then annoyed

Graphics were ace, I spent most of the first few levels creating big distractions to split the guard groups up, so that I could pick them off one at a time and chuck them about.... Throwing koreans off a cliff is my personal favourite, with grabbing one and going for a swim being my second.

The alien models (especially in THAT cutscene, again say no more, you'l know it when you see it) seem oddly undetailed compared to everything else....it would have been nice if they hade some substance......tho I guess it kind of works....and the ones everones seen in the demo are of course great to fight.

A few things that bugged me in an overall very good game were:
    The ai....on more than one occasion alerted soldiers could be found stuck constantly trying to walk forwards into walls/rocks/trees etc. As the hexus review mentioned, trying to hide in water was anther common one, and at one point i saw a korean jeep bringing reinforcements RUN OVER two unalerted koreans on patrol who were stood in the road....
    Finally, Super Soldiers....why can they take 5+ sniper rounds to the face, or multiple clips of ak47 fire, or several rockets, but die if I grab them with strength mode and punch em....?
    I also did not enjoy a certain vehicle based level at all, but only because I suck at flying

Positives? Well, everything else really, I really couldnt stop playing - it had me hooked, and that doesnt happen very often. I hope a patch fixes some of the ai oddities, and il fire it back up again for a replay.
    Overall tho, the game was a lot of fun, and i think like i did with oblivion, having played it through now with graphics turned down to cope, when next gen hardware hits thatl run 1600x1200 at very high with AA and AF I will definately take this game for a second or third spin

Thanks

Re: Review:: Crysis - PC

vrykyl, yep, you're spot on.

The thing is, part of what made Crysis enjoyable, and why, despite the problems with bugs, graphical artefacts and AI, I still gave it Editor's Choice is becuase you want to see what happens next.

I didn't mind flying though, and the Zero-G stuff is just superb... but I didn't want the review to spoil it for players, which is why I was deliberately vague on that... part of the fun is playing to see what happens next, I'm not going to take that away from anyone.
    Last edited by Nick; 15-11-2007 at 11:10 AM.
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Out of the Loop
    Thanks
    • vrykyl's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG X570 Strix-E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3900 @ 4.5ghz 1.28v (Noctua DH15)
      • Memory:
      • 32gb (2x16gb) Crucial Ballistix 3200mhz @ 3800mhz 1.35v
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Corsair MP600 NVME, 256gb Samsung Evo, 4tb WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC 10gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX 860w + White Braided Cables
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T White Limited Edition (Soundproofed)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 49" CRG9 Ultrawide 5120x1440 @ 120hz
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet 80mb fibre (80/20)

yup, the zero g worked a lot better than the flying imo....mainly I think because like in the multiplayer beta flying requires a stupid amount of keys to be pressed at once, and my POS old logitech keyboard cant register more than 3 at a time..... not crysis' fault, but flying did feel unnecessarily complicated.

Like you, not wanting to spoil the game for anyone, for those who like me felt the alien/mutant/creatures from farcry grated a bit and didnt quite feel right, dont worry - the aliens and zero g in crysis are almost spot on perfect (lack of graphic detail on said creatures being the only gripe).
    This aint no Half Life Xen moment, it actually works nicely

Buy it, play it, Love it

Thanks

Played the demo loved it.
    Probably wont buy the game tho as it sounds like EA have ballsed up the release again, not like them eh..

Thanks

I've been assured that patch 1 will fix a lot of performance issues, that's the main purpose of the patch. I'm hoping that 'performance issues' means the graphical bugs and the quirky 'kill spots'.

Thanks

Nick: I noticed you didn't mention 169.09 beta drivers. Have you tried these yet? They're the recommended drivers for Crysis now, I think and have been out for a couple of days. These might solve some issues in Vista?

Thanks

Check the afterburner... I talk about them in there.

The review was started with the 169.04 drivers and then updated with 169.09 when they came out.

Because of this driver update the review was held back from being published by a full day to re-test under the new driver set.

Thanks

I dont know if Im being blind Nick, but you only mention 169.04 on the afterburner page and also state that the 169.04 drivers are the ones to run Crysis on at the moment in Vista?

Also, I dont suppose you noted the maximum system RAM usage in the game did you? I've heard it can reach 3Gb's at higher settings.
    Last edited by s_kinton; 15-11-2007 at 12:07 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by s_kinton View Post
    I dont know if Im being blind Nick, but you only mention 169.04 on the afterburner page and also state that the 169.04 drivers are the ones to run Crysis on at the moment in Vista?
    Whoops, my bad. I was doing some last minute edits last night and accidentally placed an older version of the afterburner in the DB rather than the updated one. Fixed now.

But to save you checking it, it's basically says new driver, no change.

The test machine has 2Gb and though I've not tested memory usage, I am reminded of the old DOS days of loading a gaming .bat file to stop TSRs using up system memory...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Whoops, my bad. I was doing some last minute edits last night and accidentally placed an older version of the afterburner in the DB rather than the updated one. Fixed now.

But to save you checking it, it's basically says new driver, no change
    Thats disappointing, especially given its a nvidia sponsored game, as you pointed out. I guess nvidia will be releassing a series of beta drivers on the coming weeks to try and iron things out, as they always do.

Im running Vista and a 8800GT, so I guess I'll be using 169.09 and putting up with the issues you mentioned Im gonna spend some time finding the max oc on this GT tonight, so I can scrimp a few extra fps here and there.

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU

I think I'll go with XP for now on this one - nVidia still have a way to go with their drivers.
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Thanks

dangel, yep, that's pretty much my take too.

s_kinton, I'm hoping patch 1, which has been suggested to us will be following in about a week, will address a lot of these issues.

One thing you can't take away from Crytek is that Crysis is a bloody good game... and some initial teething problems are to be expected. I just think that under Vista, these issues take the edge of the enjoyment to some extent.

The vast bulk of the playtesting was under Vista, with an XP install on the same rig being used for checking of those issues, hence me stating that the AI and physics will be the same regardless of which OS you run Crysis under.

But if I had to make a call as to which gives me a better overall experience? That'd be XP... I'm willing to forego graphics extras for a smooth game with fewer hang-ups, but that's just me.

(plus you can always hack the cfg file to unlock very high settings under XP and DX9 )

Thanks

Eh.......... people moaning about the ending!? I thought it isn't even released until tomorrow?

You work at a computer shop or something chuckskull and vrykyl?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information