Thread: Features - Five reasons for the never-ending Nintendo love affair

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Features - Five reasons for the never-ending Nintendo love affair

There's been some truly happy days for gamers during Nintendo's illustrious history. Find out why we're spreading some Nintendo love this week...
    Read more.

Thanks
    • cobhc's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35-E
      • CPU:
      • Intel G0 Q6600 @ 3.2GHZ (400x8)
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 2GB Corsair DDR2-800 C5
      • Storage:
      • 128gb Crucial M225 SSD + 1TB Samsung F1
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 8800GTS (G92) @ 9800GTX+ Speeds
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620W
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate X64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2409W
      • Internet:
      • Tiscali Business Broadband 8MB

Re: Features - Five reasons for the never-ending Nintendo love affair

I'd like to thank Nintendo for developing the best game of all time for gameplay, and re-play value.

Of course I'm talking about Super Mario Kart. A game still played by millions today, still striving to set and beat new world records. This is possibly the single reason I still own a SNES (other notable mentions go to a superb port of Street Fighter 2 Turbo, and the Donkey Kong Country Series). Now I realise many of you will argue the toss about Super Mario Kart being the best for gameplay, but for me, nothing epitimizes and so greatly showcases Nintendo's great minds for creating games, and I've never met a single person who hasn't enjoyed a game of Super Mario Kart sometime in the past.

And I think things can only get better for Nintendo, with the Wii the hit on an idea that building the fastest console on the planet wasn't the way to go, but to build a more immersive gaming experience, and look how well it's gone for them. The Wii is selling superbly, and if they continue on this route, Nintendo will always be a frontrunner as far as the gaming world is concerned, and so they should, as this article so elegantly shows, Nintendo are simply stunning.

Thank you again Nintendo.

3. Received thanks from:

Stewart (04-08-2008)

Banned
    Thanks

Not much I can add, as everything in that feature I've said a million times on the forums in the past.

Nintendo make the best games, always have, always will.

The Super Mario series is unmatched. Best gameplay, most important, best selling.

Nice that someone bothered to type it up though. Well done Steven.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cobhc View Post
    I'd like to thank Nintendo for developing the best game of all time for gameplay, and re-play value.

Of course I'm talking about Super Mario Kart. A game still played by millions today, still striving to set and beat new world records. This is possibly the single reason I still own a SNES (other notable mentions go to a superb port of Street Fighter 2 Turbo, and the Donkey Kong Country Series). Now I realise many of you will argue the toss about Super Mario Kart being the best for gameplay, but for me, nothing epitimizes and so greatly showcases Nintendo's great minds for creating games, and I've never met a single person who hasn't enjoyed a game of Super Mario Kart sometime in the past.

And I think things can only get better for Nintendo, with the Wii the hit on an idea that building the fastest console on the planet wasn't the way to go, but to build a more immersive gaming experience, and look how well it's gone for them. The Wii is selling superbly, and if they continue on this route, Nintendo will always be a frontrunner as far as the gaming world is concerned, and so they should, as this article so elegantly shows, Nintendo are simply stunning.

Well, Super Mario Kart (SNES) is certainly the best multiplayer racing game ever, and the best multiplayer game of any type, ever. Maybe a tie with Street Fighter II Turbo.

I'd say it probably is the best game for replayability, yes. Its not old now, and it was first released in the Ordivician period I believe.

For sheer gameplay and fun I reckon its challenged by some other big N games - Super Mario World, Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Galaxy for fun, Zelda: Adventures of Link for just being a perfect video game experience.

Either way, its an all time Top 10 kind of a game.

Banned
    Thanks

By the way mate - you actually know what you are talking about. Please don't leave. We need more of your type here.

Thanks
    • cobhc's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35-E
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620W
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate X64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2409W
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
    By the way mate - you actually know what you are talking about. Please don't leave. We need more of your type here.
    Was that aimed at me? Lol. I've not posted in the gaming section much. Just I'm a very passionate Nintendo Fan. I've not owned the portable consoles, but I've owned pretty much every home console.

Banned
    Thanks

It was indeed. Round these here parts if its not called Super Ninja Wrestling Knife Kung Fu Tony Hawks Alien Attack it can get overlooked.

Like you I've been banging on about Nintendo games for ev0r, but some people just don't 'get' why Super Mario World \ Super Mario Kart still kills pretty much all other games stone dead, even after all these years.

Appriciation of Miyamoto and the game design genius of Nintendo can be thin on the ground sometimes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cobhc View Post

Mario Kart is just brilliant, always has been. loved the SNES version and now having online multiplayer is the best it can get.

Thanks
    • cobhc's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35-E
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620W
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate X64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2409W
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
    It was indeed. Round these here parts if its not called Super Ninja Wrestling Knife Kung Fu Tony Hawks Alien Attack it can get overlooked.

Like you I've been banging on about Nintendo games for ev0r, but some people just don't 'get' why Super Mario World \ Super Mario Kart still kills pretty much all other games stone dead, even after all these years.

Appriciation of Miyamoto and the game design genius of Nintendo can be thin on the ground sometimes.
    Well yeah man. It was such a big part of my childhood, playing winner stays on in Battle mode on SMK, or Mortal Kombat, SF2 Turbo, etc. I remember that being the best way for a kid at my age to spend his summer holidays (well maybe not the best way, but the most fun way!). It bridged a generation gap between me and my older brothers, because it was a common ground we all had (computers in general) and one that still sticks today.

I've completed SMK god knows how many times. I used to wipe the cart and do it all over again some weekends, because I loved the game that damn much, same with the DKC series. God I loved those games, I was a little disheartened by the N64 version, it never really had the same appeal to me (I realise bringing that game into the 3D realm wasn't going to be a simple transition, but I hoped for a similar one to Super Mario 64).

I guess the phrase "the old ones are the best" just seems to really work for some things. Now don't get me wrong, I still love some of the newer games, such as GTA:SA + the online mod for the pc. I've played that to death online, and loved it. Graphics can be great for a game, but if the gameplay isn't there to back it up, then it might as well just be a tech demo, because you're not going to enjoy playing it.

I guess also the reason I feel like this about gaming is that I'm coming from gaming on the Amiga/Atari/BBC/Acorn/Tandy days. Back when games didn't have realistic graphics, so it was all about gameplay. I got into gaming at an early age, where as a lot of people have only got into it recently, so it HAS to have decent graphics to even somewhat impress them. I mean I used to love Lemmings/Push-Over, Monkey Island etc. Games that involved some intelligence, and had all the great comedy/hidden bits in them.

I think I shall stop now, as this is turning into a nostalgia rant (IK+ on the Amiga anyone? ).

Thanks.

11. Received thanks from:

Stewart (04-08-2008)

Banned
    Thanks

The challenge on Super Mario Kart is great as well. 50cc Mushroom Cup you can win with your eyes closed. 150cc Special Cup is still very hard to do. Perfectly balanced.

Like you, I love modern games, I have a 360 Elite, I have Halo3, GTAIV, BioShock, all the usual suspects, but games were better during the 16bit golden age. Maybe its rose tinted specs, but almost all of the true classics are pre 7th generation.

No modern fighting game is as good as Street Fighter II Turbo.

No 2D platformer is as good as Super Mario World.

No racing game as much fun as Super Mario Kart.

No adventure game as much fun or as magical as Legend of Zelda: Adventures of Link.

No 3D platformer as good as Mario 64... apart from Mario Galaxy.

I also started gaming early - ZX Spectrum 48k. Plenty of classics from that era as well, Jet Set Willy, Manic Miner, Dizzy, etc, but Nintendo in the 90s were just churning out all time classics all over the place.

As they were in the 80s, with their 8bit classics. The sacred cow that is Super Mario Bros, and Super Mario Bros 3 which just blew everything else out of the water.

And now, well into the 21st century, they are still coming up with Mario games that are a cut above everything else, and the Wii is outselling both the 360 and the PS3.

Got to take your hat off to them really.

Registered+
    Thanks

lol, jet set willy was class

Thanks
    • CrazyMonkey's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M4N98TD Evo
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II X6 1055T @ 4.1ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 Dominator @ 1700mhz
      • Storage:
      • 120GB OCZ Vertex 2E - 1TB Hitatchi
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2x 460 1GB
      • PSU:
      • 850W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT02R-WRI Ltd.Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7, XP, Server2008 RC1, Gentoo
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer LED - 22" Belinea - 19" Samsung - 19" IIyama
      • Internet:
      • 50 MB Virgin Media Cable

Damn thats brought back some fantastic memories!

I wonder how much those people got payed in that video.

Also reminds me i must finish Super Mario Galaxy!

Thread Information