Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 5 All Time Games?

Banned
    Thanks

Post Top 5 All Time Games?

Almost an imposable task, I know, but lets hear a few opinions.

Now, I've been playing computer games since the days of the ZX Spectrum 48k, and have owned most consoles since then, Master System, Mega Drive, SNES, PS1, N64, DreamCast, GameCube, PC, various dodgy Atari's, GameBoy Advance, etc.

Taking everything into account, these are my top 5 games of all time, in reverse order:

5. Final Fantasy VII. SquareSoft. Playstation.

The RPG of modern gaming, in my opinion. Coming on 3 packed CDs, this game was a revelation when it was released on the PS1. It wasn't perfect; the random battles got annoying after a while, and the graphics were nothing to write home about, but the sheer scale of the game, coupled with a superb plot, make this game stand out.

You start out as a renegade doing a one-off job for a 'good guy' terrorist group, and end up as an all powerful warrior, able to dispatch all comers in a single blow. The final battle with Sepiroth (the ultimate gaming villain), and then going on to complete the side quests, such as killing the 1 million-hit-point Emerald and Ruby weapons, are a fitting end to this superb RPG, and extend the already epic quest by many hours.

Then you can raise Chocobo's, level-up, collect the mighty Knights of the Round summon, and much, much more. A touch of Japanese brilliance from a wonderful series of games.

4. Command & Conquer. WestWood. PC.

Probably the best point-and-click RTS ever, this series of games, which is still going strong with Command & Conquer Generals, peaked with the original C&C. Perfectly balanced wars were fought between the GDI and the secretive Brotherhood of NOD.

I don't think I spent as many hours playing any series of games as this one, with this, and the brilliant follow-up Red Alert, taking up days of my life. From tank rushes to one-woman assaults with the Tanya commando unit, a game of C&C was always great fun.

Also a contender for best multiplayer game ever; once you'd played through the massive mission campaigns for both the GDI and NOD, you could take on other generals, and really learn the subtleties of the game engine.

Still a top game today.

3. Super Mario Kart. Nintendo. SNES.

The best racing game ever. Better than Gran Turismo 3, better than anything out on today’s consoles, better than Mario Kart 64, and Double Dash; this was Nintendo doing what they do best - creating absolute perfection, and dressing it up as a light hearted, mascot heavy, game.

Wonderful track design (again, a touch of genius that only Nintendo, and more specifically, Shigeru Miyamoto can pull off), perfectly balanced characters, and a brilliant weapon system make this game an all time classic. I have never met a single person who didn't enjoy playing the original Super Mario Kart, and it says a lot that no racer to date has been as much fun to play as this title.

This was during the golden age of gaming, when Sega and Nintendo were battling it out with their 16-bit systems, and it showed, with classics such as Super Mario World, and Sonic the Hedgehog being released, as each company tried to out-do the other.

Sheer, unadulterated fun, from the Big N.

2. Manic Miner. BugByte Software. Sinclair ZX Spectrum.

Coded by complete gaming genius Matthew Smith, this is the grand daddy of all platformers. This game, and its follow-up Jet Set Willy, are as much fun to play today, as they were, back in the early 80s, when I first got my hands on them.

The level design shows a touch of genius, and the limitations of the system are not only avoided, but made to feel unimportant, as the game is as simple as it is brilliant. The gaming world owes a lot to Manic Miner and Matthew Smith, as even without my rose-tinted spectacles on, this game is a superb platformer.

Insanely hard (as were most games back in the day), and with levels comprising of little more than key collecting, whilst avoiding the baddies, it amazes me, that games written for the current crop of consoles, often fall way short of the quality of this title, written on a 48k machine.

The best game ever written by a single person, coded by someone every bit as important to gaming as Shigery Miyamoto, and proof that us Brits can code with the best of them.

1. Street Fighter II \ Street Fighter II Turbo. Capcom. Arcade \ SNES.

I remember running; not walking, not jogging - running to a local arcade, when I heard that they had this game in. The absolute peak of 2D beat-em-ups, and still the best fighting game of all time. This game has been copied endlessly by a million different companies, and Capcom themselves have released endless sequels, but nothing comes close to this original arcade version, and the SNES port.

In fact, it was largely due to Mario Kart and Street Fighter II being available for the SNES, that I consider it the best console I've ever owned. Street Fighter II was relatively easy to pick up and play, but to master you had to spend an immense amount of time.

Just finishing the game at the arcades, with the AI set to level 8 was next to imposable, but beating a good human player, skilled with Ryu, Ken, Dhalism or Guile, was the real test.

I actually played this game non-stop for several months (stopping only to play Mario Kart), and became pretty good at it, if I say so myself. I can remember people cueing up, at the local youth club, to play me, and me dispatching them one at a time. Happy days.

In my opinion, Street Fighter II Turbo is the best game ever.

Anyway, see what the rest of you think.
    Last edited by Stewart; 17-12-2003 at 04:18 PM.

Turkish
    Thanks
    • serlex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • 775twins Version 1
      • CPU:
      • 3.2 Pentium Dual Core
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 5300 1GB
      • Storage:
      • 80 IDE
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Crapy 7900GT
      • PSU:
      • Thermaltake 480W
      • Case:
      • Plastic
      • Monitor(s):
      • 17" Flatron LG
      • Internet:
      • 8MB..but BT so 512kps
    well, nice top 5

my top five for online are
    1. counter strike
    2. america's army
    3. Need for Speed underground
    4. Street Fighter 2 and turbo for super nintendo (not online)
    5. Home World 2

Thanks
    • Allen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VIII Gene
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 6600K
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 8GB Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4-3000
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 950 PRO NVMe M.2 (OS) + 2 x 512GB Samsung 960 EVO in RAID 0 (Games)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC
      • PSU:
      • XFX P1-650X-NLG9 XXX 650W Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Node 804
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" BenQ XL2730Z + 23" Dell U2311H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mbps
    5. Dune 2000
    4. Command And Conquer: Red Alert 2
    3. Grand Theft Auto 3
    2. Final Fantasy VII
    1. Frontier: Elite 2

These are only some of them though, there have been plenty others that I might not have been able to remember right now, but Frontier is definately number 1!

All of these games I played non-stop for weeks on end at one point in my life...

Thanks
    5. Manic Miner
    4. Bomber Man
    3. Gran Turismo
    2. Fifa (and you PES junkies better believe it )
    1. Sensible World of Soccer

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    In absolutely no particular order whatsoever:

Rez, Sega, Dreamcast/Playstation 2.
    Play it. With the sound up high & the bass on full. Bliss.

Super Metroid, Nintendo, SNES.
    Play it. With the lights turned off. One of the most atmospheric titles ever.

System Shock 2, Eidos, PC-CDROM.
    Another of the most atmospheric titles ever. turn off the lights, turn up the volume, and play in the middle of the night. Scary stuff.

Chrono Trigger, Squaresoft, SNES/Playstation.
    Square's best ever RPG - superb artwork, phenomenal soundtrack, long and complex story spanning a million years. And no unsolicited screen-pixelating random battles \o/

Blade Runner, Westwood, PC-CDROM
    I love point & click games. Lucasarts have some fine titles, but Westwood succeeded in taking the Blade Runner franchise & trasferring it beautifully to a game - with 13 different endings depending on how you played. Great game.

A few other honorable mentions are probably deserved, such as Super Mario 64, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Jet Set Radio & Doom II. Keep 'em coming, this is interesting!

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    infact, how about a reader-voted top 25 games ever? i can make it happen if people are interested...

Thanks
    • Allen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VIII Gene
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 6600K
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 8GB Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4-3000
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 950 PRO NVMe M.2 (OS) + 2 x 512GB Samsung 960 EVO in RAID 0 (Games)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC
      • PSU:
      • XFX P1-650X-NLG9 XXX 650W Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Node 804
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" BenQ XL2730Z + 23" Dell U2311H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mbps
    Yeah, sounds good! I'll do some thinking and try and remember all the other hundreds of brilliant games I've played in the past!

Thanks
    Elite, Half-life, Wolfenstein 3D, Chuckie Egg and Manic Miner: Not enough time to write why, but thought I'd just mention them. This thread has been done several billion times and if I can find an old cached version I'll put my reasons in.
    Last edited by Zathras; 17-12-2003 at 10:39 PM.

Thanks
    1: Settlers (Amiga)
    2: Dizzy (Amstrad64)
    3: Sonic (Megadrive)
    4: Doom (PC)
    5: Settlers4 or DungeonSiege (PC)

IMHO
    C2Q6600 @ 3.15GHz
    ThermalTake MiniType90
    EVGA 680SLI
    4GB OCZ Reaper 1066MHz @ 1000 4,4,4,15
    EVGA 8800GTX 768MB
    Raptor 150GB
    NEC ND4550 16x16 DVD±RW
    Coolermaster 850W x3 12V
    Antec P180

Custom built by $aunder$

Thanks
    Originally posted by Big_Al
    5. Dune 2000
    First time around, amazing. The remake did blow reasonably badly tho

Ben

Thanks
    5. Raptor: call of the shadows (PC - 386)
    4. Command and conquer 95 (PC - celly 333, till now)
    3. Goldeneye (N64)
    2. Vice city (PC - athlon xp)
    1. Half life (PC - athlon xp)

Maybe there should be another one when HL2, UT2k4 and D3 all come out.

I think all of the above are definiatly games that i could easily play again.

Will
    | XP1600-m | ASUS AN78X Deluxe | r9700 pro | 2x512mb pc37000 |

Thanks
    Oo Vaul, written with a bit of passion I cant think of 5 right now but...

4) C&C
    I remember getting the demo on CD and being wow'd instantly, and that was only the installer! A load of us played it religiously for a while and it was pretty much all we talked about at school.

3) Super Mario Kart
    Totally, again played with a passion!

2) Doom2
    It hit home. Was the first time I played a game that didn't solely rely on my skill, bravery actually came into it (seems kinda sad now, but meh, its true )

1) Tribes1
    Bought starsiege because I had seen mechwarrior2 a while back and thought it looked cool. Played it for about 15 minutes and got bored, so I decided to play the free addon called Tribes. I was hooked! Every other online game I had attempted (except C&C) was average because of my lame dialup connection, but tribes was different, I could happily play on a 32 man server without getting stupid lag or loss. The actual game was special, I had never experienced team work like this online before.

Me and a mate loved it so much, it became a scheduled part of our life. My net connection was BT's free after 6pm and on weekends thing and he would be round mine, 9 o'clock saturday morning to play it for 3 and a half hours before I had to go to work (reluctantly). What added to the experience was the fact I hooked up with a sorted bunch of people (WolfPack UK!) and because of that it is easily the game that lasted the longest out of everything I have ever played.

Banned
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Raz306
    Oo Vaul, written with a bit of passion
    Indeed. I was actually hoping that others posting on the thread might actually take the time to write a line or two, explaining why the games that made their top 5, did so; rather than just a list, with no reasoning given what-so-ever. I was even expecting people to be arsed to tell us who released the game, and maybe even stretch their minds to breaking point, and tell us what system they played the game on.

Maybe I expected too much of the poor loves.

Anyway, thanks to you and DirectHex for realising that your list doesn't really mean anything, without a few words telling us why you liked that particular set of 5 games.

It could be the graphics, game play, plot, or everything. As these are supposed to be the 5 best games you have ever played, I doubt a few plus points will be hard to think of, and type.

Have a go, you may surprise yourself.

Thanks
    • DeludedGuy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte H87M-HD3
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 4440
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 1800mhz
      • Storage:
      • 250GB Samsung 840 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte R9 270 OC 2GB
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet Pure Power L8 600w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Dell U2414H
      • Internet:
      • 75Mb BT Infinity
    In no order

Vice City
    Resident Evil
    Silent Hill
    Thief
    Soul Calibur 2

Thanks
    Metal Gear Solid PS1

I can remember flicking through the games on one of my PS demo discs and thought 'Ooh, I'll give that a go', and was absorbed into the world of Solid Snake and I was hooked. Couldn't wait for the game to come out so I could find out exactly what had happened to Donald Anderson. Great game, with fantastic graphics and a brilliant plot from Hideo Kojima.

Gran Turismo 2 PS1

The sequel to the best driving simulator ever. Was a tough act to follow, but it succeeded easily. The AI, the 600 cars, the never-seen before detail in the circuits, and some great driving tunes made this twice as good as its predecessor. Its a real shame that Polyphony changed their emphasis from the AI to the graphically beauty in the development of GT3, so this gets my backing as the greatest out of the Gran Turismo series.

Splinter Cell PC/PS2/XBOX

Something totally different to the field of games. Instead of being a shoot 'em up, you had to use a mixture of stealth, gadgets and sharp thinking to get past your enemy instead of killing them. Never before have I got so annoyed with myself at wasting one bullet as I knew I would regret it later on in the level. Pretty scary in the dark also.

IL2 Sturmovik: Forgotten Battles PC

Something that I have only recently started, but I have got gripped. A game that requires total dedication to get anywhere near half-decent. The one game where each flight is totally different, no-matter whether you are in the same plane and same place, you know it is going to be a new experience. Its a total simulation, and a damned hard one it is aswell.

Can't really think of a fifth one, so you'll have to make do with 4

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    remember to cast your votes in the top 25!

http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.php?threadid=9744

Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast

Thread Information