Thread: Opinions - Microsoft slashing Xbox 360 prices, but is now a good time to buy?

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Opinions - Microsoft slashing Xbox 360 prices, but is now a good time to buy?

This Friday, Microsoft will lower the cost of its Xbox 360 console to £129.99. But there's one reason not to buy, and it's called Jasper.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Opinions - Microsoft slashing Xbox 360 prices, but is now a good time to buy?

In summary, we know what Jasper is, and we know roughly when to expect it, and that brings up back to our original question; is now a good time to buy? The price cuts are hugely appealing, and the Xbox 360 in our opinion does offer great value for money. However, with a new-and-improved console just around the corner, the right time to buy could be just a few weeks away.
    This type of price drop isn't intended to sway the sort of people who visit tech forums like Hexus. Its designed for headline grabbing, its designed for parents who's kids have been pestering them for ages to get a 360. Will they care about the differences? probably not. Will they even have heard of the RROD? Probably not.

Its a very good time for MS to drop the price with Christmas only 3 months away, and the 360 celebrating its 3rd birthday. My main concern is that it is its 3rd birthday. We will start seeing the 3 year RROD warranty ending for lots of people. What happens after that? No one knows, or more than likely no one cares, after all MS have a new more reliable console, so why bother with the hassle, i'll just buy a new console.

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Opinions - Microsoft slashing Xbox 360 prices, but is now a good time to buy?

beanbandit...you 100% right and thats exactly what microsoft are counting on; that their main customer base dont really know and most probably dont even care... im sure most of the population dont know exact details of earlier revisions either...theyll go on buying the console dependant on the price...

Thanks
    • Mithrandir's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Biostar TP45-HP
      • CPU:
      • C2D e4600 (w/ Xigmatek Red Scorpion)
      • Memory:
      • OCZ ReaperX (2x2gb)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung F1 500gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • xfx 9600gt Alphadog edition
      • PSU:
      • Xigmatek NRP-MC651
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Cavalier 3 silver (windowed)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Fujitsu Siemens SCALEOVIEW D22W-1

For me personally, £130 still doesn't entice me to grab an X360. I think Microsoft should have gone for £109 or better yet £99.
    Cavalier-X: Biostar TP45-HP ¦ E4600@3.1ghz - Xigmatek Red Scorpion (OCZ Freeze) ¦ OCZ ReaperX 2x2gb (792mhz @ 4-4-4--12) ¦ Xigmatek NRP-MC651 ¦
    Palit 8800gt ¦ X-fi Fatal1ty Gamer ¦ Coolermaster Cavalier 3 (Silver/Windowed) ¦

Poseidon Magma: MSI P45 Zilent ¦ E6300@3.0ghz - Coolermaster Hyper 212 (MX-2) ¦ Corsair 2x2gb (880mhz @ 5-5-5-15) ¦ Corsair HX450w ¦
    xfx 9600gt Alphadog edition (780/1950/1000) ¦ X-fi Gamer ¦ Gigabyte Poseiden ¦

Thanks
    • thestjohn's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI P35 Neo2-FR
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR-800
      • Storage:
      • 1 x OCZ Vertex 2E 60 GB, 1 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB, 1 X Hitachi Spinpoint F3 1 TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX HD 6950 2Gb
      • PSU:
      • CM Silent Pro Gold 700
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster ATCS 840
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell u2311, 1 x Iiyama AS4637
      • Internet:
      • IDNET ADSL Max Premium

I know what you mean. £99 feels like you're spending less than 3 figures, even if it's only by a few pounds, and that can tip a buying decision.

But I suppose that kind of price point will come with the Valhalla revision, if it comes. Then they might be able to hang at the level the PS2 currently inhabits all by itself.

Thanks
    • j.o.s.h.1408's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P6T Delux
      • CPU:
      • Intel core i7 920 @ 3ghz
      • Memory:
      • 3GB DDR RAM
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung F1, 500GB Seagate baracuda + 320gb Seagate PATA +150GB WD PATA
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 480GTX SC edition
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12 600W Module PSU FTW
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A7010B (the rolls royce of pc cases)
      • Operating System:
      • vista ultimate edition and windows xp
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22inch 2005FPW dell monitor
      • Internet:
      • 24mb BE There Broadband

Quote Originally Posted by beanbandit View Post
    so why bother with the hassle, i'll just buy a new console.
    i certaining wouldnt buy another one if it broke outside the warranty. i never re-buy the same product that causes soo much trouble.

the 360 is not the only thing you can use to enjoy next ge gaming. maybe the cheapest but doesnt matter when it breaks all the time.

If jaspar doesnt fix the rrod then i dont think it will ever be fixed

Thanks
    • Stringent's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel DQ57TM
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 760
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA Geforce 260GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Centurion
      • Operating System:
      • Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual Iiyama 24"
      • Internet:
      • Patchy

I still think that the RROD isn't always caused by heat. Seeing as MS have taken steps to reduce it, it shows that other factors must pay a part. Has the RROD decreased on each newer console revision? (I am asking!)

I would look at getting an XBox, maybe after Christmas.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beanbandit View Post
    This type of price drop isn't intended to sway the sort of people who visit tech forums like Hexus. Its designed for headline grabbing, its designed for parents who's kids have been pestering them for ages to get a 360. Will they care about the differences? probably not. Will they even have heard of the RROD? Probably not.

Its a very good time for MS to drop the price with Christmas only 3 months away, and the 360 celebrating its 3rd birthday. My main concern is that it is its 3rd birthday. We will start seeing the 3 year RROD warranty ending for lots of people. What happens after that? No one knows, or more than likely no one cares, after all MS have a new more reliable console, so why bother with the hassle, i'll just buy a new console.
    Well put. However, its the people who re-buy a consistently faulty piece of hardware that exacerbate the issue. Just buying another console after the original one is faulty isn't really the right thing to do. MS haven't been quick to fix the source of the issue, just offer longer warranties and pay to have the consoles refurbished.

Thanks

What is the current estimated failure rate now (not Microsofts estimate). I read a whila ago that the issue was sorted with the new chips, but you always hear contradicting statements due to all the fanboys. I just like cold hard facts.

Not interested in purchasing personally, that choice past along time ago, I purchased a PS3 by the way due to the RROD at the time. (I hate both Sony and Microsoft by the way, the only bias may be who I hate more).

Thanks

Most places have bundles and new prices up now.

Game & Gamestation in particular.
    www | F | T | @

Welcome to stampytown! Salazaar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Salazaar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450m Steel Legend
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 5700 XT

I've been tempted to update mine, bigger HD, HDMI and running cooler and quieter. But then I think I've had mine since release day without a hint of trouble, why bother spend more?
    ____
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    • GaryRW's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte P35C DS3R
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @ 3ghz
      • Memory:
      • DDR2 4gb
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520w
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2032BW

I'm becoming tempted at this price point :-)

It would mainly be to replace my old xbox which is used solely for XBMC these days, though I'm sure with a 360 I'd end up playing Halo 3 at some point...

Slightly off topic I know, but any views on whether a 360 is any good as an xbmc replacement? Is it even in the same ballpark?

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

I think now is still a good time to buy, regardless of what is "around the corner".

The thing is that with technology, there will *always* be a new version just around the corner, there will always be something worth waiting for. For me the bottom line is that if you want one, get one now and be pleased with it, otherwise you will spend your whole life waiting to buy something and will probably never get it.

It was worth waiting 1-2 weeks for the price cuts as we knew for sure they were coming, and pretty much knew when it was going to be..but it would not have been worth waiting a month ago, and isn't really worth waiting for a hardware revision which could possibly appear on the shelves in 1 months time.

Thread Information