Thread: First looks - A peek at Crucial's RealSSD C300 solid-state drive's performance: 350MB

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

First looks - A peek at Crucial's RealSSD C300 solid-state drive's performance: 350MB

An early look at the fastest single SSD we've come across.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: First looks - A peek at Crucial's RealSSD C300 solid-state drive's performance: 3

Now thats more like it, I posted back when there was talk of the "new" controller, the provider's name eludes me right now though, and the talk of Anandtechs "preview" of an OCZ drive using that controller harping on about it being the fastest single drive to date. Basically, in every which way, it was so close on performance to existing drives the idea of it being noticeably faster in any real situation was laughable, especially as it wasn't even fastest in every situation in synthetic benchmarks.

But this is really the next step in SSD performance, though some info would be great as I haven't read up on it at all. Is it the "new" controller, with decent quality memory, is it merely like the OCZ jmicron drives which raided two controllers together internally to give better bandwidth within one case, is it better quality memory, higher spec'd cache memory(more of it and significantly faster?), or a combination of the above.

THough at a guess, prices are going to be silly for it, at least until 25nm nand flash chips are made available in bulk in Q4 this year.

Looks like it will one of the first few things down on my "if I win the lotto" shopping list though.

Its really got some impressive 4kb read/write numbers, which go up under sata 6Gbps, even when its clearly not bandwidth limited. Is that down to removal of overhead on the interface, newer drivers for a newer standard. Less overhead from the raid adaptor or simply hardware raid(though by the looks of it, its an el cheapo raid card).

Thanks
    • Terbinator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H61M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230-V3
      • Memory:
      • Geil Evo Corsa 2133/8GB
      • Storage:
      • M4 128GB, 2TB WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX Titan
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

Re: First looks - A peek at Crucial's RealSSD C300 solid-state drive's performance: 3

The controller was made by SandForce IIRC.
    Kalniel: "Nice review Tarinder - would it be possible to get a picture of the case when the components are installed (with the side off obviously)?"
    CAT-THE-FIFTH: "The Antec 300 is a case which has an understated and clean appearance which many people like. Not everyone is into e-peen looking computers which look like a cross between the imagination of a hyperactive 10 year old and a Frog."
    TKPeters: "Off to AVForum better Deal - £20+Vat for Free Shipping @ Scan"
    for all intents it seems to be the same card minus some gays name on it and a shielded cover ? with OEM added to it - GoNz0.

Thanks

The 4K write is about 100x typical 7200RPM drive (often sub-MB/sec). One thing I find a bit curious is that read tend to be faster than write, yet for 4K, write is quite a bit faster than read. Is there a technical explanation for that?

Thanks
    • aceuk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VIII GENE
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-6700K
      • Memory:
      • 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3,333MHz DDR4 RAM (CMK64GX4M4B3333C16)
      • Storage:
      • 480GB Intel 750 PCIe NVMe SSD + 1TB Samsung 850 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova 750 G2
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define Mini C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro (x64)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2711 (27")
      • Internet:
      • 19Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Terbinator View Post
    The controller was made by SandForce IIRC.
    It was made by Marvell actually. You're probably thinking of the new OCZ SSDs.

Thanks
    • Terbinator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H61M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230-V3
      • Memory:
      • Geil Evo Corsa 2133/8GB
      • Storage:
      • M4 128GB, 2TB WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX Titan
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

Quote Originally Posted by aceuk View Post
    It was made by Marvell actually. You're probably thinking of the new OCZ SSDs.
    I thought Drunken was referring to the new one ?
    Kalniel: "Nice review Tarinder - would it be possible to get a picture of the case when the components are installed (with the side off obviously)?"
    CAT-THE-FIFTH: "The Antec 300 is a case which has an understated and clean appearance which many people like. Not everyone is into e-peen looking computers which look like a cross between the imagination of a hyperactive 10 year old and a Frog."
    TKPeters: "Off to AVForum better Deal - £20+Vat for Free Shipping @ Scan"
    for all intents it seems to be the same card minus some gays name on it and a shielded cover ? with OEM added to it - GoNz0.

Thanks

the question is; will scan sell me the 128GB version for a sub £300 price point?

because i won't touch it at more than that.
    http://rusi.org/downloads/assets/FDR2.pdf - RUSI - A Force For Honour
    http://www.uknda.org/my_documents/my...essity_scr.pdf - UKNDA: A Compelling Necessity
    http://www.uknda.org/my_documents/my...ISIS_Sep08.pdf - UKNDA: Overcoming The Defence Crisis
    http://www.uknda.org/my_documents/my...y_Doc_24pp.pdf - UKNDA: A decision the next Prime Minister must make

Thanks
    • miniyazz's system
      • CPU:
      • Acer Aspire 8920G
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Optoma HD700X projector @ c. 90"
      • Internet:
      • Really, really ****

Quote Originally Posted by R3MF View Post
    the question is; will scan sell me the 128GB version for a sub £300 price point?

because i won't touch it at more than that.
    Sure they will, just gotta wait a year or so

Registered+
    Thanks

That's like having ten normal hdds in a raid. Not much use for that kind of speed but good they are still pushing higher.

But how long do ssd's really last?

Thread Information