Thread: Reviews - Dead Island

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Reviews - Dead Island

An island paradise becomes a living hell when a zombie outbreak quickly spreads...
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Reviews - Dead Island

I've put just over 30hrs into this (PC), very little CO-OP as it dropped constantly so I gave up in the end.

Don't get me wrong its a good game, well worth the £30 I paid but it gets really repetitive, the sewer levels are boring and the bugs...oh the bugs! Even simple things like why do you stand up if you pick up an item while crouching? Madness!

As I said, its good, not what I expected before it was released and not as free roaming (by that I mean there isn't much to explore) as something like Fallout but stil a decent addition to your games catalogue.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

30hours? Without co-op?

You got your moneys worth!

Even playing with 3 mates, I find it extremely repetitive to the point where I really can't be bothered doing any of the side quests at all.

I found the bugs to be (for the most part) unobtrusive....my major technical issue is the whole "fish eye" effect I have going on.....
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    30hours? Without co-op?

You got your moneys worth!

Even playing with 3 mates, I find it extremely repetitive to the point where I really can't be bothered doing any of the side quests at all.

I found the bugs to be (for the most part) unobtrusive....my major technical issue is the whole "fish eye" effect I have going on.....
    Yeah, maybe two or 3 hours of co-op overall, played with a few ppl from HEXUS but could never go more than 20mins without losing connection. Think I lasted so long as I was playing and going through the motions rather than actually enjoying it.

I completed it then started again but gave up on the second run through after a couple of hours as I got bored. Decided to hang around the beginning waiting for co-op joins and tried to give n00bs some decent weapons (giving a level 2 n00b a 250+ blade elicits much joy!), the flakyness of the connections just made me give up though.

I shall never tire... BEANFro Elite's Avatar
    Thanks
    • BEANFro Elite's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus MAXIMUS IV EXTREME Rev.3.0
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 2600K Sandy Bridge
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Memory Vengeance 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 240Gb RevoDrive 3 X2, 1x 1TB Maxter DiamondMax 11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire ATi HD5970 3GB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 1000W Modular
      • Case:
      • Coolermater Cosmos Pure Black
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2209WA
      • Internet:
      • TalkTalk

I also ended up playing it on my own after EVERY single attempt at joining or having people join me failed or dropped soon after joining.

I have also NEVER seen a game with so many bugs and I've played BF2 1.0 .

That aside (like they were small issues I mentioned above), the game lacked variety, samey objectives, no day / night cycles which is just criminal, the lack of any true survival elements all made the game largely a dull, flat experience.

TheAnimus and I both agreed that the scope of potential for this game was exquistely broad and if done right, Dead Island could have been an absolutely jaw-droppingly epic title and there are plenty of occasions where there were elements of pure genius which were immediately stifled by poor execution or bugs.

In my opinion, using the Chrome 5 engine was a shockingly bad decision, I personally feel that the Unreal 3 engine would have been a MUCH better choice, but to improve gameplay, they could have blended the survival and environmental elements of STALKER, I felt that STALKER 1 and Pripyat are among the most atmospheric and immersive games of recent times.

If the devs had read "The Zombie Survival Guide" by Max Brooks, the players should have been made a lot less powerful and forced a more obvious ethic on teamwork as seen in zombie panic, cut most of the soundtrack and used a semi-realtime soundscape of the zombies instead and environmental sounds, if they made the walkers behave more like zombies so they'd be attracted by any noises that you make or lights that you emit from the use of your flashlight which would make night time sequences all the more hazardous, in which case a sound and light meter could have been implemented which could also help you to avoid being detected by zombies altogether.

Dilemmas such as, "Should I walk to an objective so as to not attract the attention of the zombies or should I stock up on weapons and drive close to the objective and expect to fight off a horde?" would have been brilliant, with similar scenareos associated with the use of firearms over melée weapons.

Small things like NPCs closing doors behind you after you've left to complete a quest would have added an extra sense that you were in a world where people are actually scared of things and are vulnerable.

Building barricades with objects that are nearby would also have added to make for a more immersive experience.

I could go on for ages about what could have been added but the sheer volume of fedex missions really grated me down towards the end, and I very nearly came close to abandoning it, and unsurprisingly I'm largely disappointed by Dead Island but only because of the amount of potential it had.

Thread Information