Thread: Dead 9800?

Crazy foreigner
    Thanks

Question Dead 9800?

Installed my main rig again like two weeks ago... when Windows was in and all fine I installed ATI drivers for my Herc. 9800SE AIW (256-bit bus, not soft-moddable) and thats when proplems appeared. Windows wouldn't boot, exept safe mode, with drivers installed for the GFX. Tried all different drivers, omegas, older drivers, all the same.

I swapped in my good old GF2 Ti, but don't wanna run that forever Anyone know what could make it be this way, are there any suggestions other than just dead? Hoping of bringing it alive again soon if possible...

Would atleast give me some 3D performance back. I won't jump on any new GFX soon, all cost too much and I have better places to put my money I'm afraid (moving out soon).
    Light travels faster than sound. Is this why some people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Thanks
    Its not dead if you can get any picture out of it at all. Tried doing a full reformat?

Crazy foreigner
    Thanks
    Nope, might do that later. But as in dead I meant that it perhaps can't handle being used. Perhaps just the easiest logic works and when the hardware gets used fully, it flips. That was just my first thought... Might be some other problem though.
    Light travels faster than sound. Is this why some people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Thanks
    Shouldn't do.... Tried running on standard vga drivers and then installing the catalysts after?

Crazy foreigner
    Thanks
    Well, it did run with no specific drivers at all installed. But would not accept any drivers built for the hardware being used...

Thanks
    Tried running driver cleaner to make sure all the older drivers are cleared out properly?

Crazy foreigner
    Thanks
    Yeah, did all that... software wise (exept for reinstalling the whole system), I believe I've done most that can be done. Maybe is it a reinstall that is required, maybe I've missed something, maybe the card has minor/major hardware issues. I do not know, and need help finding out

Thanks
    check that its not overheating and theres no physical damage to traces (conductive paste over a few of them for example)

Crazy foreigner
    Thanks
    Oh, you just reminded me... was two weeks ago, just haven't gotten in to fixing it yet. It did overheat. Really really much. Was too hot to touch for more than a short second on the backside of the core. Do not know why though, stock heatsink/fan that I've never moved and the fan seem to roll around as it should...

Large Member
    Thanks
    You normally really know if a card is knackered, cos your monitor would show no image and you POST would make terrible demonic noises. I guess you'd be able to reformat quite happily so try it.
    To err is human. To really foul things up ... you need a computer.

Crazy foreigner
    Thanks
    yamangman: That would be the normal thing, yes... Did that with my GF4 Ti4600 once But I believe a card might flip out and work halfly so to say. Don't think it will have to stop working completely. Not sure since I've never heard of such a case before though

A reformat won't be done in a few weeks atleast I'm afraid. I'll be moving out now and have really too much to do. Starting at uni on the 17th of August. But I would bet on that a reinstall might help aswell, so I'll get on it the first time I can. Just searching here for more alternatives.

Large Member
    Thanks
    Holy cow, same thing happend to my 4600, and another 3 people I know! Got it replaced with a 5600Ultra (I spent £310 on my 4600, the 5600 that microdirect replaced it with was worth £175). Biggest - mistake - ever. It was useless, came with no games, no DVI, no CRT to DVI converter, no S-VID cable, no composite cable, no DVD playing software, no encoding software, no video editing software, it was so much slower, noisey and hot. It was everything my 4600 wasn't. Err, sorry, rant over .
    To err is human. To really foul things up ... you need a computer.

Crazy foreigner
    Thanks
    Believe my 4600 was my own fault though... long story that I do not need to tire you all here with, but I probably myself was the reason it broke Oh well, hope I haven't destroyed my 9800 aswell, even if it is a medeocre performer, it is better than nothing and give decent picture quality.

Oh well, I'm going to sleep now, will be back some tomorrow Good night everyone at the forums that are still awake.

Thread Information