Thread: Reviews - SanDisk Extreme Pro 480GB

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Reviews - SanDisk Extreme Pro 480GB

The enthusiast SSD made for consistency.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • DemonHighwayman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb 2.4Ghz Kingston Beast
      • Storage:
      • 256 Gb Samsung 850 Pro (Main), 4TB Toshiba X300 (games), 2TB External TV/Films HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • KFA2 RTX 2070 EXOC
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster Real Power M700
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Level 20 VT
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PB278Q
      • Internet:
      • Yes most of the time

Re: Reviews - SanDisk Extreme Pro 480GB

So is this a Samsung 840 Pro beater ? and if so I wonder how it'll compare to the slightly overdue Samsung 850 Pro !

Thanks
    • LeetyMcLeet's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Auros X570 Master 1.2
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 64 GB 3600 DDR3 (G.Skill Trident Z)
      • Storage:
      • 250GB Samsung 980 Pro PCIe NVMe, 2 x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SATA3, 2 x 6TB WD Black 3.5'' HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia RTX 3070Ti (MSI SUPRIM)
      • PSU:
      • Fractal Design ION Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design 7 Dark with TG Window
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ/Zowie XL @ 1080p, 240Hz
      • Internet:
      • BT Business FTTC/VDSL ~ 50Mbps

This is exactly what we need with SSDs. Decent 'used' performance and a good warranty
    (10 years really is excellent)!

They're clearly targeting Sammy and Intel with these drives. Hopefully, we'll see a fall in prices as they compete

Thanks

I still don't understand why if SATA is the bottleneck, they don't make more of these drives PCIe or other connectors. Those that do seem to ask for a ridiculous premium (even the non-enterprise models), but often aren't making use of the extra bandwidth (small drives with low-ish read/writes that would not have been bottlenecked). Is there a technical reason why this is difficult/expensive?

Also M2 - is it any faster than dual SATA that it seems to replace on some boards that have it? Is there a technical reason (other than current models only having one) why you couldn't connect an SSD to 2 SATA ports nd double the bandwidth available?

Apologies for all the questions.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Tpyo View Post
    I still don't understand why if SATA is the bottleneck, they don't make more of these drives PCIe or other connectors. Those that do seem to ask for a ridiculous premium (even the non-enterprise models), but often aren't making use of the extra bandwidth (small drives with low-ish read/writes that would not have been bottlenecked). Is there a technical reason why this is difficult/expensive?
    As I understand it, the SATA "limitation" is only if you look at theoretical performance not actual. Although I've seen some posts elsewhere claiming that real-world (/delivered) performance on the top-of-the-line single drives is now getting pretty close to the interface limit. Definitely agree though that PCIe connection would make a heck of a lot of sense for those rich kids with RAID0 SSD setups.

Downside is that PCIe slots are under pressure for other things, and heaven help you if you've got one (or worse, two) of those large graphics cards that overhang the neighbouring slots and reduce your slot count even further.

Was looking at mSATA drives (for a bit of iPod hackery in the autumn) and was gob-smacked to see that apparently these SSD's are apparently drawing more power than the conventional 1.8" HDDs. Goes counter to the "SSD's draw less power than spinning rust drives" wisdom.
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonHighwayman View Post
    So is this a Samsung 840 Pro beater ? and if so I wonder how it'll compare to the slightly overdue Samsung 850 Pro !
    I'm also interested in how these compare to the Samsung drives since I've got a mix of 830's and 840EVO's here, (no PRO drives). That said, Sandisk's pricing looks pretty good, and that 10 year warranty is a big plus point in my book unless there's some kind of weird constraints applied. I've already had to use Sandisk's warranty service this year for a failed micro-SD card and the experience was as pleasant/trouble-free as those kind of activities can be.

Roughly 50p/GB for that top drive has got me thinking that I might be able to go totally-SSD at some early point next year.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

6. Received thanks from:

Tpyo (25-07-2014)

Registered+
    Thanks

So...main plus of opting for this over a cheaper MX100 is the consistency over time and the warranty?

Team HEXUS.net
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimbok11 View Post
    So...main plus of opting for this over a cheaper MX100 is the consistency over time and the warranty?
    That pretty much sums it up, yup.

Thanks
    • narz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97x Gaming 7
      • CPU:
      • i7 4770K
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB SSD, 3TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 770 OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 650W Modular
      • Case:
      • Corsair 230T
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 1080p + Dell 1600/1200
      • Internet:
      • 70MB/20Mb Fibre

Excuse the ignorance, but does anyone know how important consistency over time is and what type of applications are likely to benefit from it? Is the margin in difference shown in this article noticeable in real world usage.

TIA

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by narz View Post
    Excuse the ignorance, but does anyone know how important consistency over time is and what type of applications are likely to benefit from it? Is the margin in difference shown in this article noticeable in real world usage.
    1. How important consistency over time is really depends on what you're doing. If you're doing something sensitive to the performance of your storage - like video work for example - then I'd guess you'd really want that consistency.
    2. All applications are affected to an extent - e.g. a degraded SSD will take longer to load that large game. But whether that gives you problems (as opposed to just seeing a spinning cursor for longer) really depends on what app you're using and what you're doing with it.
    3. Again, depends on what you're doing - check the graph and you'll see that the degraded MX100 appears to only deliver 1/7th of the bandwidth of the same device in "clean" state. Ask yourself this - if my data takes 7x longer to load will I notice?

My own "wet finger in the air" feeling is that a degraded SSD is only really going to be noticed for the majority of folks if they're trying to do a lot of actions simultaneously and stressing the disk.

Another good set of PC Mark consistency tests can be found here, these focusing on Adobe Photoshop use.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thread Information